What made you Bongo?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Re: What made you Bongo?

Post by evobongo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:33 pm

cwilliams255 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:32 pm I inherited a 1997 2.5TD 4Wd AFT when my dad moved to France (MoT seemed like a faff) and at first I thought what is this heap of purple crap :D

Then I got in it and loved it, alright it was a little noisy but it was comfy and good to drive. I ripped out the dated conversion put in a new one I spent a year building and it was great taking us (2 adults) on holiday through France and Spain - once you get used to managing the space, several weeks away are fine.

Then, in the snow it was great, I live on a road 20-25 gradient, 90 degree bend at the bottom, aside from sliding down on the ice, I was up and down no issues, even pulling neighbours up the road - putting a bit smile on my face

No reliability issues in 3 years but rust did start to take over so I bought another one in better base condition (it hadn’t spent most of its U.K. life on the Scottish cost like the old one!!). It has to be said the chap that bought mine has done a great job fixing up the rust (he’s a mechanic)

The only thing that is sometimes a negative is that the conversion parts market isn’t as prolific as VW - it’s so easy to get an underbody water tank for them for example, finding one for a bongo much harder

We don’t have children and my wife is a little skeptical about bongo practicality when we do but with our awning I think it will be just fine
Space wise ive seen people use trailers or back boxes so I think thats something I will look into more.
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:34 pm

Muzorewa wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:29 am Read THIS

Then grab a coffee and read
THIS done with two adults and two younglings, then
THIS and
THIS done with two adults and one not-so-youngling

Diesels do have a reputation for cooking the head but that’s normally due to incorrect maintenance and subsequent incorrect bleeding of the cooling system. ALL Bongos are prone to rust, but so are VWs and panel vans, so if you think a Bongo can work for you, and it most certainly can for two adults and a kid, choose one carefully then get out there and enjoy it!
Just read part 1 - wow what a fabulous story!

What mileage are you on now ?!
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:35 pm

Bongolia wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:20 am
evobongo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:09 pm
Bongolia wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:54 pm

Versatility, reliability not an issue here either once you get it sorted. :D
Define 'sorted' ?
Muz post says it all.
A good major service, belts,afreeze, gear oils etc.
Problem is with second hand is you never know what previous owners have done. So best to clear the decks and start clean. I came from a VW T25, owned it for 15years, It was not the most reliable especially in hot weather , kept both but found when I went away or for weekend hops I took the Bongo so sold the VW no regrets.
That my concern, i'd rather buy private so need to be careful. Interesting you sold the VW... my mind is becoming clearer and clearer now. Just need to decide my requirements now.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:19 pm

That which returned when I typed "Automatic camper van" into Google.
BernieBongo1955
Bongonaut

Post by BernieBongo1955 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Hi Bongonauts,
Just wanted to have a great camper, smooth V6, power door and blinds. Not prepared to pay VW prices and also the amazing support of Bongo Fury. The key is to get the very best you can afford, underseal with yearly checks for dreaded tin worm. Regular maintenance via a Bongo technician, not forgetting the coolant alarm! . The adventure begins :D 8)
N. B Nearly forgot, Bongo dimensions!!! No need to sweat on B roads, just smile and enjoy :D
Paul - Gloucestershire -2001 2.5 V6 Pop Top
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken"
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:19 pm That which returned when I typed "Automatic camper van" into Google.
:lol:
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:44 pm

BernieBongo1955 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:40 pm Hi Bongonauts,
Just wanted to have a great camper, smooth V6, power door and blinds. Not prepared to pay VW prices and also the amazing support of Bongo Fury. The key is to get the very best you can afford, underseal with yearly checks for dreaded tin worm. Regular maintenance via a Bongo technician, not forgetting the coolant alarm! . The adventure begins :D 8)
N. B Nearly forgot, Bongo dimensions!!! No need to sweat on B roads, just smile and enjoy :D
Yep, am getting the feeling that these things are perfect for me. Excited to spec out what I actually need now
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:33 pm

evobongo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:34 pm

THIS and

Diesels do have a reputation for cooking the head but that’s normally due to incorrect maintenance and subsequent incorrect bleeding of the cooling system. ALL Bongos are prone to rust, but so are VWs and panel vans, so if you think a Bongo can work for you, and it most certainly can for two adults and a kid, choose one carefully then get out there and enjoy it!

Only 417,000, in the first years we had the van we were knocking in over 50k a year but lately Bongy is semi-retired!
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:30 pm

Muzorewa wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:33 pm
evobongo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:34 pm

THIS and

Only 417,000, in the first years we had the van we were knocking in over 50k a year but lately Bongy is semi-retired!
Poor Bongy... it desperately wants to get to the big 5!
Mandrew
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Mandrew » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:16 pm

We got ours as we'd become tired of putting up a tent...!

We've had Barry (fresh import 2l petrol with aft) for just over 5 years now and he's the best thing we've ever bought. We're a family of 4 and he's taken us all over the UK on weekends/days away, for the kids' triathlons, trampoline comps, etc. and we've driven round France, Spain, Portugal and Holland for our last few summer holidays. This year we'd planned a trip to the Swiss alps - now put back to next.

As a 2l petrol he's not the quickest in the bongo line up but he got us up (and down) the 'hills' in Southern France/Andorra. It's the only vehicle I've ever really taken proper care of, we service him every year without fail and he hasn't missed a beat.

Space wise we don't have an issue, he's comfy for the four of use, super east to drive and for trips away it teaches you to travel light. There's so much rubbish you don't need to take. Ensure you have a good set of 'essentials' for cooking, eating, sleeping and making sure the beer's cold. Our biggest space takers (other than the kids) are chairs - I'm of the mind that if you're comfortable you're happy so we do pretty much always take these. After that it's clutter - it also means you can just get up and go without having to think about which bits to pack.

We love it.
evobongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by evobongo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Mandrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:16 pm We got ours as we'd become tired of putting up a tent...!

We've had Barry (fresh import 2l petrol with aft) for just over 5 years now and he's the best thing we've ever bought. We're a family of 4 and he's taken us all over the UK on weekends/days away, for the kids' triathlons, trampoline comps, etc. and we've driven round France, Spain, Portugal and Holland for our last few summer holidays. This year we'd planned a trip to the Swiss alps - now put back to next.

As a 2l petrol he's not the quickest in the bongo line up but he got us up (and down) the 'hills' in Southern France/Andorra. It's the only vehicle I've ever really taken proper care of, we service him every year without fail and he hasn't missed a beat.

Space wise we don't have an issue, he's comfy for the four of use, super east to drive and for trips away it teaches you to travel light. There's so much rubbish you don't need to take. Ensure you have a good set of 'essentials' for cooking, eating, sleeping and making sure the beer's cold. Our biggest space takers (other than the kids) are chairs - I'm of the mind that if you're comfortable you're happy so we do pretty much always take these. After that it's clutter - it also means you can just get up and go without having to think about which bits to pack.

We love it.
Thanks Mandrew, great reply.
I agree, less is more and all we really need are comfy chairs, a comfy bed (being a parent sleep is minimal anyway) and food.

Do you regret getting the petrol ?
Mandrew
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Mandrew » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:43 pm

evobongo wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:43 pm
Mandrew wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:16 pm We got ours as we'd become tired of putting up a tent...!

We love it.
Thanks Mandrew, great reply.
I agree, less is more and all we really need are comfy chairs, a comfy bed (being a parent sleep is minimal anyway) and food.

Do you regret getting the petrol ?
Not at all.

It’s not a daily driver so the fuel economy isn’t/wasn’t an issue. If it had been I doubt we’d have gone for a bongo at all petrol or diesel.

I know the 2l petrol is lower in pace and power than the 2.5l beasts but speed (or lack of) is also not a problem for us as it’s our leisure vehicle so we get there we get there. As I mentioned previously it’s got us up and down the Pyrenees and the Picos in Spain.

It does exactly what we wanted it to do - and so much more. It’s so versatile.

He’s off being serviced this week and we can’t wait to get him back for the weekend!

Return to “Bongo Chat”