Do you use your bongo as your main vehicle?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

marrow
Junior Bongonaut

Do you use your bongo as your main vehicle?

Post by marrow » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:30 am

Hi all. We got our bongo a few weeks ago. It's in for a service, so I'm waiting for the verdict! The plan was to get rid of our other car, which is old and due for a fair bit of work this year, and use the bongo as the main vehicle. We only use it to drive to kids' activities a few times a week and then every now and then a couple of hours at the weekend to visit family. Plus trips of course! No commuting, no regular shopping etc.

Does anyone else just have a bongo and use that as their regular car? Any considerations I should be aware of before committing to it! :lol:
Nico
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Do you use your bongo as your main vehicle?

Post by Nico » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:59 am

Hey Marrow,

We're a family of 4 and have a C1 and our 2000 Ford Freda. Love driving the Freda but the MPG of the C1 is naturally much, much better so tend to use that.

We save the van for day trips etc where it's perfect for us.

Hope that helps.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:49 pm

In summer I use the bongo a bit, swapping between it and car for normal stuff, obviously trips away it gets used. In winter it won’t see much use as I like to keep it away from road salt as much as possible and my car is a bit comfier anyway, I’ll always be able to buy a new car, the same might not be true for bongos (although I think we are still some way off yet :D )
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Our only vehicle here but I do not drive it daily, maybe once or twice a week for shortish 6 mile drives and longer 70 miles round trip. I would say it won't make much difference if it is your daily vehicle or not (unless you are starting up and down twice a day 365 x a year). I think using a vehicle regularly or using it infrequently is as long as it is short. For each way of use there are ups and down sides... not using much can cause possibly cause problems seizures,water ingress, more so on very long period of standing still though, leaving it a week or two typically would not cause problems. etc. lots of short journeys and you would have more general wear and tear.

It is pretty much pot luck unless you inspected the Bongo in great detail. All the rubber/steel pipes on these vehicles are up to 25 years old, the diesel variant needs a very specific and lengthy bleed process that only real Bongo savvy garages understand (and you have to be very careful with those as well as I have found out) and some hardcore enthusiasts The risk of one of those pipes failing is pretty high (I have had 3 pipes go in 5 years), sorry to say. The cooling system is cantankerous to say the least.

So crack on, make sure you put a low coolant and head temperature alarm on the vehicle and enjoy using it for what it is for, with luck you get 4 years with nothing to do, or a pipe may burst next week, just have it in mind and do your best to avert failures. Enjoy driving it.

I have had almost every rubber (and metal pipe) replaced or bypassed on the cooling system and an original Mazda Rad and Theromstat in the hope we get a good long run out of ours. But who knows... fingers crossed.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:49 pm

My only vehicle, its the size of most cars, good turning circle, so why not, no car is going to give good mileage on short runs anyway.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
marrow
Junior Bongonaut

Post by marrow » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:06 pm

Thank you all, that’s really useful to know. I hadn’t thought that much about mpg to be honest, but driving the car again the other day and noticing how the fuel tank needle DIDN’T move almost visibly downwards as we went along I thought perhaps we should reconsider.

Also part of my calculation was based on the car needing a new cam belt, but the garage has informed me that the reason it’s never been changed is not because of general negligence but because it doesn’t have one, it has a chain. So that’s embarrassing. But also a relief and makes it more possible to keep both. :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:39 am

g8dhe wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:49 pm My only vehicle, its the size of most cars, good turning circle, so why not, no car is going to give good mileage on short runs anyway.
2nd that. Its been my only car since 2006 and daily commute until I retired in 2017. The only downside is taking it a distance to be looked after and some years, having to leave it there for a week or so while major repairs (usually welding!) is done. But in 14 years its never not started and never broken down. An incredible vehicle and has had countless adventures. Long may it continue. 8)
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:24 pm

I have a car as well, but really I think I only need the bongo. The bongo is pleasant to drive and I usually only do very short distances in the car, so it would be unlikely I'd save much in terms of mileage.

So, am thinking of selling car.

Next question: should I buy an electric bike though????!!!!

Maybe I will post ...
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:14 pm

If its for just getting about town then an e-bike is fine, only limitation is the amount you can carry in/on panniers etc.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Treetalk
Bongonaut

Post by Treetalk » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi.

I did try an e-bike in the Summer for an afternoon, and was surprisingly impressed. It just felt like riding a normal bike really, but with more help! Its really good if you are a bit physically challenged, as I am, I don't find it easy going up hills etc. But can I also be physically "doing" with all the faffing and lifting re. putting it on a bongo bike rack - I think e-bikes are heavy - and so on. Decisions!!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:53 pm

I don't often take it with me on the Bongo but if I do then its on the towbar rack, which means it can drive itself up ;-)
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Bongo Chat”