Reserving camping spot

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

annemarigold
Bongonaut

Reserving camping spot

Post by annemarigold » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:13 pm

What are people's preferred methods for marking a camping spot on a site where there are no official marks. I've had my old Bongo for 2 weeks and have been to Wales and the Lakes. In both I left out a table and a mint plant (long story) to mark my chosen spot. No probs in Wales. Second day in Lakes my table and plant were gone. Spotted them on another "plot" the plant being the ultimate giveaway. Retrieved both. I purchased a washing line thinking this would do the job but a lovely couple in another camper hadn't even seen it. Should I buy some cones or those yellow marker thingies often used to mark wet floors? or use my pup tent? Or make something with a number plate. My front one is a bit damaged and advisory on the MOT so I could justify replacing it and using the old one to mark the spot. Thanks Anne
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Reserving camping spot

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:58 pm

There isn't really an answer to this :-(
Last year I had my EHU cable nicked after 12 years of use on many sites all round the country, fortunately I had an extension that was long enough to replace it. The sign with my registration number and step into the door weren't of interest to the thieves. Tempted to add a chain and padlock as £60 quids worth of cable and reel would be worth the extra cost of a few £ to secure it to the EHU posts.
The sign I use is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorhome-Ca ... 3da7ae6443
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:27 pm

Pup tent is always good, and I'd make a board with the words 'Pitch in Use' then fix your old No plate to it.

Maybe hinge a leg onto the back of it to sit at about 60 degrees and drill three holes to peg it down.

It used to be accepted to leave your ehu cable on a pitch to show it was in use, but now we have a rash of inexperienced campers who either think the site have provided it or it's been forgotten and is 'fair game'. :evil:

I also mark stuff like chairs, table, owt else getting left outside with my reg. Don't use post code as it's a big ad where you live and you're away. :wink:
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:21 pm

the accepted item in warmer climes is a towel :D
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Flanners wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:21 pm the accepted item in warmer climes is a towel :D

Ahhh, so:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LuIJqF8av6I
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:03 am

:lol:
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
annemarigold
Bongonaut

Post by annemarigold » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:16 am

Thanks for all your helpful replies. The video is priceless!! Sorry to hear about electricity stuff going. I debated leaving out but decided not in the end. The WElsh site I was on said they would have loaned me cones if I'd asked so I might give that a go another time.

Return to “Bongo Chat”