Slight incident with thule bike rack

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

sotal
Supreme Being

Slight incident with thule bike rack

Post by sotal » Mon May 03, 2021 8:27 am

Long story but to cut it short a cow decided that the nice corners of the bike rails on the bike rack would make a nice scratching post.

The rack was very securely attached but is now over to one side, the bottom left 'hook' is no longer under the tailgate lip, and the top left strap is I think extended but certainly not right.

Now I can't quite remember how to fit it as we fitted it a few years ago when we purchased it from a popular member on here, and it has started on ever since.

My first thought was to undo the locks at the bottom to back off the hooks, unfortunately there is a lock on both threads. I have the keys for these but I can't actually turn them, so I've soaked them with wd40. If I can't info the locks is there a way to reposition it without destroying the lock?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Slight incident with thule bike rack

Post by Muzorewa » Mon May 03, 2021 10:10 am

I had this issue (removing the locks, not a cow), they do seize if not lubed regularly. Soaking with WD40 should hopefully do it, if not try to at least salvage one of them, you only really need one lock but I used two. If you do end up destroying them you can still buy them new, it's a Thule 567.

Once you've got the bottom free, you will be able to slide the top straps around under the spoiler.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue May 04, 2021 9:21 pm

Ah, yes it was yourself that I bought it from!

I managed to sort it but in a different way. I won't post publicly on here though.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun May 16, 2021 10:51 am

After a good soaking, and a good bit of wiggling with the keys, the locks have now undone, now just got to get some time to put it back on properly.

Return to “Bongo Chat”