Bongo Importing/purchasing

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

fergusminto
Junior Bongonaut

Bongo Importing/purchasing

Post by fergusminto » Tue May 04, 2021 6:03 pm

Hi all. My 1997 Bongo, purchased in 2007, is coming into its twylight years. We are thinking about a replacement and the idea of importing one from Japan has crossed my mind. I have read through many of the messages in the forum but cannot find how to go about it. I have learned all about the extra costs and time involved but we have time on our hands to do this. Our intention is to get a basic Free-top 4x4 8 seater and transfer the excellent conversion we had done by Little Movers in 2007 (something I am quite capable of doing I think!)

Looking for info on how to go about buying one in Japan (contacts etc) and any advice on how difficult/easy it would be to transfer an existing conversion over to the new van. Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Importing/purchasing

Post by Bob » Tue May 04, 2021 7:47 pm

I doubt you'll find a late 4x4 as the last ones were all 2 ltr petrol engines, and only the diesels had four wheel drive. :(
fergusminto
Junior Bongonaut

Post by fergusminto » Wed May 05, 2021 11:05 am

Bob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:47 pm I doubt you'll find a late 4x4 as the last ones were all 2 ltr petrol engines, and only the diesels had four wheel drive. :(
Thanks Bob. Putting you on the spot now! If you were looking for a newer base model in order to transfer the existing conversion, how would you go about it and what would you suggest I look for and where? Import myself or go to trade? Might get my existing Bongo back from its MOT today - been a couple of weeks so likely to be a large welding bill!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 05, 2021 11:43 am

All depends on how long you are willing to wait, whether you have a contact in Japan, or can travel there to visit auctions, do you trust a buying agent - bear in mind the Bongo will be yours 'warts and all' if you go that route.

Budget? - plenty of reputable dealers, but plainly they have to cover overheads and make a living, cheaper to buy private but more risk.

How important is 4wd to you?

So sadly 'it all depends'.
fergusminto
Junior Bongonaut

Post by fergusminto » Thu May 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Thanks Bob - thought I had replied to this earlier but can't see it in the forum! 4x4 would be a benefit as we do most of our Bongoing in the Highlands. However we are going to view some examples around Scotland and NE England in the next few weeks. We are also, of course, used to the elevated roof but can't find any day vans with them - don't know if you can get day vans without any conversions but with the elevated roof. Will investigate with some of the main traders. Thanks again. Bruce.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu May 06, 2021 1:06 pm

If you do finish up with a 2wd a limited slip diff was an option.

These can be has used and will fit the casing. :wink:

Return to “Bongo Chat”