Sound deadening pads material

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Monique
Apprentice Bongonaut

Sound deadening pads material

Post by Monique » Sun May 30, 2021 10:04 am

Hi all,
My partner and I recently bought a '97 Bongo. We pulled up the carpet and came across what we believe is the sound deadening pads fixed to the floor.
Does anyone know what material these are made out of, or more specifically if they contain asbestos? Japan was still manufacturing cars with asbestos so a little bit concerned since we starting removing it. I'm in Australia so hoping if it was that it would have been picked up during import.
Thanks!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Sound deadening pads material

Post by g8dhe » Sun May 30, 2021 10:38 am

Welcome!
Never heard this discussed on here at all, I am surprised that they might have been still using the dangerous asbestos materials in 1995+ at all and can't think why sound deadening material would use it anyway. In the UK it was primarily used for heat insulation and for strengthening corrugated roof material but that all came to an end around 1985 for the two main products, however as you say all types and uses wasn't banned until 1999 see here https://www.haspod.com/blog/asbestos/wh ... nstruction
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon May 31, 2021 11:44 am

I have wondered about what of insulation Mazda put in these vans myself before.

I have seen some Youtube videos where they have used what is, basically, attic insulation, in behind door panels (and maybe under the floor) to help keep heat in/out and deaden sound.

Dunno if anyone has heard of that before but there ya go...
Monique
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Monique » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:19 am

Thanks for the response and information.

It looks like it was used for soundproofing and insultation - https://www.asbestos.com/exposure/automobiles/

Unfortunately it seems like Japan did not stop using it: https://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/28/asb ... nufacturi/

As per the article, the material would be non-friable since it is mixed with resin so if not disturbed it should be fine.

Since I have disturbed it, it has been sent off to be tested. I will be sure to be report back the findings.
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:16 am

Monique wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:19 am Thanks for the response and information.

It looks like it was used for soundproofing and insultation - https://www.asbestos.com/exposure/automobiles/

Unfortunately it seems like Japan did not stop using it: https://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/28/asb ... nufacturi/

As per the article, the material would be non-friable since it is mixed with resin so if not disturbed it should be fine.

Since I have disturbed it, it has been sent off to be tested. I will be sure to be report back the findings.
Do make sure to let us know what the situation is with it! Thanks!
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:15 am

Owners would be interested in a photo of the material in place, so it's clear to everyone.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Monique
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Monique » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:44 pm

I have received the lab results back.

The sample consisted of bituminous material. No asbestos detected. No respirable fibres detected. Organic fibre detected.

The material in question is in picture attached.

I do recommend for peace of mind to get any suspect materials tested, definitely pays off.
Attachments
bongo floor sound deadening.jpg
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:29 pm

A reassuring result - thanks for the photo.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 pm

Yes nice to hear! Are there still a good number of Bongo's over in Australia ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Monique
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Monique » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:21 am

Not nearly enough Bongo's down here in Australia!

Return to “Bongo Chat”