Recommendations needed, looking for our first Bongo!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

MSH4190
Apprentice Bongonaut

Recommendations needed, looking for our first Bongo!

Post by MSH4190 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:47 pm

Hi there Bongo lovers!

Me and my partner fell in love with the Bongo when we first saw one in person a few months back and since then we have made it our priority to get ourselves one. We literally can't stop talking about them!

We are currently in the process of doing our 'market research' but we have some questions around the Bongo's. Age wise we're not bothered just as long as it has low milage but we are really unsure if to go with a 2.5 Turbo Diesel, 2.0 Petrol or 2.5 V6 Petrol. Can anyone suggest which one would suit our use case?

Our bongo would be sat on the drive under a cover and would not be daily driven unless the other person needs to go somewhere and the main car is not at home, it would be used say for a full weekend of off-grid camping twice a month at a minimum from early spring to early autumn. We are planning on doing the NC500 in it at least once as well as driving over to europe if we fancied.

I have been reading some historical forum posts on here and I see to grasp that the 2.5V6 does around 20mpg on average and the 2.0 Petrol around the same? I've been told by someone that the 2.5 Turbo Diesel can do about 40mpg if your light footed on a flat run but can go as low as 30mpg on the same run also.

We would be looking to import one and do all the work outside of the pop-top ourselves to make it truly our own, we have found suppliers for the full side-conversion kits local to us in Manchester.

I'm just saying this, absolute novice here so go easy on me :)

Cheers
Mark
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Recommendations needed, looking for our first Bongo!

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:18 pm

Welcome aboard.

30 Is about the best you'll get from a diesel, 40 would be exceptional.

There's info on 'Buying a Bongo' here:

https://igmaynard.co.uk/buying/

If 4 wheel drive is important to you it will have to be diesel, the 2 ltr is the simplest engine and doesn't require the pain in the butt bleed process.

Main thing is the least rust possible, they're all getting older.
MSH4190
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MSH4190 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:27 pm

Thanks for the advice!

I think the other half would prefer a petrol in the long run, what's the best you can get on the 2.5V6 Petrol on a long run? They have no issues getting up hills compared to the 2.0's? It would be good to have the ability to go anywhere, up any hill of any size.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:39 pm

Mine's diesel, but I guess you're looking at low 20s from a V6.

Lovely smooth, powerful, motors, but the 2 ltr will get you there.
MSH4190
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MSH4190 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:46 pm

Did they stop making the 2.5Diesel from 2000 onwards?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:10 pm

Yes low 20's for a V6 around town, but my new import is currently giving 27mpg on longer motorway runs. Nice and quiet, plenty of power and speed.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bongotrio
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongotrio » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:25 pm

We have a 2l, it won't win any races but when driving a bongo you don't want to be in a race! It's a lovely drive and goes up any hill we throw at him. We get around 33mpg on petrol and 28 on lpg. I love the simplicity of the 2l. It's been said, go for condition. Don't worry about the e10 either, pre 2002 just use premium. There's also an additive from halfords you should get you put in the tank with e10. We carry it and use it every now and again as it lubricates. sometimes you just can't get any premium.

Return to “Bongo Chat”