LPG - cheap conversion [ under a grand ! ]

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

nigelgibson
Tribal Elder

LPG - cheap conversion [ under a grand ! ]

Post by nigelgibson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Don't know if anyone's posted this before but couldn't find anything specific.

Link below to firm in Preston Lancs offering 4 cylinder lpg conversion for £999 or 6 cylinder for £1199 [ if you try ebay link ebay this is reduced to £1149 on a chevy v6 ] including free courtesy car for 4 days whilst work done. No vat and guaranteed for 2 years.

This is not a recommendation as i haven't used them just a heads up for what looks a very good deal.

http://www.hytekautogas.co.uk/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190477480749? ... 1423.l2649
apole
Supreme Being

Re: LPG - cheap conversion [ under a grand ! ]

Post by apole » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Speaking from experience I would now only ever use someone that is known to do a good job, especially on a bongo as you have to tap into the cooling system.

To be fair, a good place I know would only charge a little more than that, and that includes an electronic flashlube system so the price is about the same.

Not saying the place is no good, it's just in my experience of 2 cars and several years it's easy to get a substandard LPG kit and/or bad installation which both negates any cost savings and is unpleasant to live with whilst it's being fixed.

LPG can be great if you do the miles and keep the car long enough, but the industry body that regulates installers seems to do nothing against those that do a poor job or don't look after customers, hence there continue to be many out there that are best avoided.

I'd always stick with a known and recommended installer.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: LPG - cheap conversion [ under a grand ! ]

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:13 pm

I had my Toyota converted by a Walsall autogas installer and it is been faultless ..

I had my V6 converted by Paul at lpgimporters in Coventry .. Even though it cost very slightly more .. I felt more more at ease in getting a pukka Bongo savvy guy do the job ..

Plus I know that the proper under slung LPG tank was fitted on the Bongo .. as some (like on my Toyota) use an in boot 'doughnut' underneath that distorts / pulls the floor down .. not ideal in a camper conversion ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”