ANOTHER VEGGIE OIL THREAD

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

ELZE
Supreme Being

ANOTHER VEGGIE OIL THREAD

Post by ELZE » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi Guys

I have been reading all the other threads on this subject and noticed the last comment was last year. I am now convinced more than ever that I want to convert or start using veggie oil in the Bongy. I have been a Landrover enthusiast for many years and have some experienced with this. For instance it has always been possible to use a 50/50 mix and have no problems for N/A engines and TDI's however the TD5 did not like it. Putting 100% veffie oil straight in has always been problematic for Landies? The older series ones run ok on it but the more modern varients did not.

I was suprised to read that Bongo's run well on this stuff even on 100% so it has got my attention. Having just sold a nice little van that I no longer need I am in posession of around nice lump to spend on my new toy. I just fited new tyres this morring which took £300+ and am having a service and cam belt done next week so I recon I still have a bit to spend. Can anyone point me in a good direction and sound advice how to go about getting this done? I am particularly interested in ready made kits or adaptions on a DIY basis. I live in the NE area.

With diesel £1.43.9 here I recon I could get my money back in no time. Getting used oil may be a problem as the owners are being approached big time for their used oil taken away fee of course! However they have to employ a licensed waste carrier to prove it has been disposed of correctly and keep the consignment notes for the EA. This makes them reluctant to enter into a loose arrangement with the likes of us. Still I will try hard to get a supply but in the meantime shop around for the cheapest unused stuff.

Thought this link may be useful http://www.dieselveg.com/
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Re: ANOTHER VEGGIE OIL THREAD

Post by fatcatlawyer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Welcome.

As a result of my wonderful (ha ha!) next door neighbour complaining to the local council because he became aware that I was filtering used cooking oil for use in the bongo, I had a visit from the local envirement agency.

They inspected my set up, accepted from me the fact that I had spilt about half a litre of oil, but that was not attracting rats (the alledged reason for the neighbours call) and then they sent me a lengthy letter confirming that I neither needed planning consent nor any other licence to do what I was doing, and so far as they were concerned the only thing that was not right with my system was that I was failing to supply certificates to the sellers that I was disposing of the oil properly, that is by turning the same into fuel for my vehicle.

I suspected that the enviramental bods were just grateful that the stuff was not clogging up their landfill. I was told that the appropriate certificate of end user or whatever could be found on the internet but to be honest I have not looked. I have offered the appropriate certificate to the suppliers of my used oil, but they have not wanted one.

I suppose if you asked a supplier for a copy of one of their earlier certificates you could use that as a precedent for future receipts of oil.

Ian G
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks Ian

If neighbours would put as much effort into being friendly and neighbourly as they do being nosey and spiteful, we would all be a little less stressed. I am a licensed waste carrier by chance and have consignment notice forms so it is not a problem for me. My point was getting people to hand over their oil to someone who they do not know will be reliable.

Tomorrow I am going to the local chinese takeaway and the 3 chippy's we hapen to have in the area and plead my case. I am also looking at a small plant that can change the oil (clean or used) into pure diesel. These start from around £900. 50 ltr takes around 24 hours!

I have priced a two tank system conversion which is £1200 all in from a place in the Midlands.

I am definitely going for this in a big way as I am sick of being ripped off at the pumps every week. Everytime someone fires a shot in the Middle East or some depot has an industrial action it goes up another 2p! Next few months with the buget it will be another 3p slapped on and then there is the fuel escaltor...when will it freeking end?

That said once we all move to bio the oil on the shelves will be next in line for tax and more tax.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:01 am

My mate has been doing it for years, he has given each oil supplier a file and he adds a waste disposal note each time he collects, they will be asked for this sooner or later.
He has known people go in to chippys after the oil and told them what they are doing is illegal as they have no paperwork, just trying to steel his suppliers.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:18 am

Waste is a dirty business mate! Very lucrative if you know what you are doing.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”