Sorry, another noob asking about veg oil.

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Lotustuart
Bongonaut

Sorry, another noob asking about veg oil.

Post by Lotustuart » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi, picked up my new beast (2.5D) last week and at£1.43 a ltr and a crappy fuel economy (which I knew about and can happily live with!) I'm looking at buying my first veg oil. I've read loads on here and it appears rapeseed oil is the one I want, but ive seen others say they use KTC and the only one I can find says it's...

Vegetable Oil (produced from Genetically Modified Soya), Anti-Foaming Agent E900

Is this ok or am I looking at the wrong one?
Thanks
Stuart
chipvan
Supreme Being

Re: Sorry, another noob asking about veg oil.

Post by chipvan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:04 pm

yes ktc is dandy.. macro,booker...

carry a spare filter and lean how to clean your banjo filter if you have one
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 pm

dont go too mad on your mix,i prefeer to mix outside the tank then pour in then you know at what % the ratio of veg to diesel is easier.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Guys

With Diesel heading steeply for £7 a gallon, veggie oil has to be the way forward at around £1 litre? (free from a chippy) I am seriously thinking about a professional conversion job @ £1200 as over time your investment will be returned. If I had done this with my Landy last year I would still be running around in it! Still we love the Bongy and there's no going back!

''If its not leaking oil there's no oil in it'' :!:
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:04 am

Lotustuart wrote:Hi, picked up my new beast (2.5D) last week and at£1.43 a ltr and a crappy fuel economy (which I knew about and can happily live with!) I'm looking at buying my first veg oil. I've read loads on here and it appears rapeseed oil is the one I want, but ive seen others say they use KTC and the only one I can find says it's...

Vegetable Oil (produced from Genetically Modified Soya), Anti-Foaming Agent E900

Is this ok or am I looking at the wrong one?
Thanks
Stuart
Perfectly OK got 6litres for £6 in Morrisons yesterday (that was all they had left) put it in this morning and drove 100miles home OK.
BongoTerry
Bongonaut

Post by BongoTerry » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:00 am

In our local Poundland they've got it at £1 but now it's only 75ml. However the 99p store still has the KTC 1 litre bottles at 99p, I've used that at 50% all last year with no problems at all although I do keep a spare fuel filter cos one of these days it'll get to it.
Lotustuart
Bongonaut

Post by Lotustuart » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks people. I've found it in macro, 20l bottles and it works out at 93p/l! Bonus!
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 am

Buy in bulk and store it up..it has gone up by loads but the difference between veg and diesel is quite a lot again now,wait for the oil prices to rise when we hit 150! i saw 148 yesterday...
lancyman
Bongolier

Post by lancyman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Also a nooby on this one. I have a 2.5 TD. I read before that you can use a 5 or 10% diesel / veg oil mix
in an unconverted bongo, is this the case? has anyone done this regularly? Is it safe for the engine?
Are their any problems associated with this? What is the process for mixing or adding the oil to the diesel?
If this works ok it will be a real bonus as I use my bongo on a day-to-day basis and any money
saved would be great. Thanks in advance.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:43 pm

lancyman wrote:Also a nooby on this one. I have a 2.5 TD. I read before that you can use a 5 or 10% diesel / veg oil mix
in an unconverted bongo, is this the case? has anyone done this regularly? Is it safe for the engine?
Are their any problems associated with this? What is the process for mixing or adding the oil to the diesel?
If this works ok it will be a real bonus as I use my bongo on a day-to-day basis and any money
saved would be great. Thanks in advance.
It won't even notice 10% veg oil 8) I regularly ran 25% in winter and, at least, 50% in the summer.
I just tipped the veg oil into the tank and topped up with diesel, to reach the required mix. It is important to have a short drive around, after filling, to mix the stuff together. I did put my veg oil into the tank one evening, before filling up in the morning - the veg oil appeared to settle to the bottom and gave very lumpy running until the engine had warmed up :oops:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Even 50% is low for some on here - they use 100% on long runs but with starting and stopping on pure diesel.
PisceanJoy
Bongolier

Post by PisceanJoy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:16 pm

IsAre those percentages on an unconverted engine?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:07 pm

scanner wrote:Even 50% is low for some on here - they use 100% on long runs but with starting and stopping on pure diesel.
I've done that - just put diesel in at the end of the trip, to bring it back to 50%(ish) - mine didn't like starting on 100% veg oil :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:08 pm

PisceanJoy wrote:IsAre those percentages on an unconverted engine?
Yes 8)
John
lancyman
Bongolier

Post by lancyman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Surely this is the holy grail of bongoing. Ok so, to be straight,
I put in say twenty litres of diesel, warm the engine up, then add 2 - 4 litres of veg
Oil straight into the tank and away I go? Just had full service so system should be pretty clean.
Are their any oils to avoid, and any that are really good?

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”