Sorry, another noob asking about veg oil.

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Velocette
Supreme Being

Re: Sorry, another noob asking about veg oil.

Post by Velocette » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am

The Great Pretender wrote:If you can get or know someone with a Makro account, 20lt bottle in a box is 92.5p per lt. :wink:
20L KTC £17.89 last week in Costco Avonmouth. I bought 40 litres.

Any tips for pouring it in? I used the Tesco funnel with the flexible end and it was hard work with a 5l container. maybe I should decant the 20litres into 5ltr containers first or get some sort of pump? The neighbours probably think I'm nuts!
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:43 am

Velocette wrote:
The Great Pretender wrote:If you can get or know someone with a Makro account, 20lt bottle in a box is 92.5p per lt. :wink:

Any tips for pouring it in? I used the Tesco funnel with the flexible end and it was hard work with a 5l container. maybe I should decant the 20litres into 5ltr containers first or get some sort of pump? The neighbours probably think I'm nuts!
=D> =D> =D> .............There you go, 89.5p per lt, there are often offers out there. =D> =D> =D>

I decant 10lt into an empty 20lt one then it is easy. :wink:
To infinity and beyond
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:12 pm

The Great Pretender wrote:
Velocette wrote:

=D> =D> =D> .............There you go, 89.5p per lt, there are often offers out there. =D> =D> =D>

I decant 10lt into an empty 20lt one then it is easy. :wink:
Ta Can you get a hands free funnel and is it OK to take the gauze out?
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:31 pm

I use a watering can.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Velocette wrote:Ta Can you get a hands free funnel and is it OK to take the gauze out?
I used to use a 6" length of waste pipe (like under your kitchen sink), which fits exactly in the filler hole. I then used a large plastic ketchup bottle with a bottom corner cut out, so that, when it was pushed into the waste pipe, you had a horizontal hole to pour the fuel into -it made an excellent hands free funnel 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Is that waste pipe smooth bored, John, and not the corrugated type used for washing machines ?

I hate the flexible funnels which are generally available because diesel doesn't evaporate out and consequently leaves a sticky mess in the folds that attracts dust.

What I want to make is funnel/pipe which stays firmly put without needing a steadying hand, otherwise filling from a jerrycan or even a 3 or 5 litre can becomes a two person job.

I don't mind putting the funnel/pipe combo in a clean plastic bag to keep dust off after each useage. That's what I do with my sump pump and its attached pipes.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Easiest for me is a 1 litre clear plastic bottle that held flavoured water from Tesco, asda etc, just cut the bottom of fits in the filler neck perfect, is small and neat enough to carry in the car, in a plastic bag and they last ages, in 9 years I am only on my third or fourth now,lol and you can see the stuff going in nicely too.
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:21 pm

I have a funnel that fits into a flexible section.....now the good bit. I use one of those locking type suction cups, lock it on the window above the fuel filler area. Then a hooked bungy through the cups and then onto the funnel. All is held in place while I pour. Works a bloody treat. Oh and store the whole lot in a little plastic container that the local authority gave me for recycling.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Diplomat wrote:Is that waste pipe smooth bored, John, and not the corrugated type used for washing machines ?

I hate the flexible funnels which are generally available because diesel doesn't evaporate out and consequently leaves a sticky mess in the folds that attracts dust.

What I want to make is funnel/pipe which stays firmly put without needing a steadying hand, otherwise filling from a jerrycan or even a 3 or 5 litre can becomes a two person job.

I don't mind putting the funnel/pipe combo in a clean plastic bag to keep dust off after each useage. That's what I do with my sump pump and its attached pipes.

Frank
Yes Frank - the normal white plastic waste pipe is a nice snug fit in the filler. I had a photo of it on Photobucket, but I must have removed it :oops:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks for all the tips,, some ingenious solutions there. I used to carry a dent puller jobby for attaching various things to the Bongo. . I keep my funnel in a couple of plastic bags in the car. The good thing about veg oil is it doesn't smell as bad as diesel in the car and if you put it in before you run out it is a good stand by fuel to carry..

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”