How many KMs on a tank full of Diesel?

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

nigelgibson
Tribal Elder

Re: How many KMs on a tank full of Diesel?

Post by nigelgibson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:59 pm

I misquoted when i said 300kms on a full tank. I have just checked my previous thread
[see below ] where i actually got 323kms [ and this was normal ] on 49 litres which was around 18.4 mpg !
I think the secret is to not use on very short runs ie 2 or 3 miles where you never even get in top let alone lock out.
I think with use like max suggests then 345 miles on a full tank of 65 litres is just under 24mpg which is ok.
I forgot that my consumption was based on 49 litres not a full tank.
Let's remember though 450kms is still only around 280 miles so a full tank of 65 litre [ 14.29 galls ] equates to 19.5 mpg.
But also remember we don't buy bongos for their economy and they are no worse than most of their peers.
Apologies if my earlier posts on this topic confused the issue. :oops:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 12&t=51898
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:28 pm

maxheadroom wrote:Well I have a mile odometer (GA5R speedo) and get around 345 miles per tank so that's 555 km per tank, I have pushed it to 365 miles 8)
I use daily to work doing 28 mile round trip with 24 mile on the motorway doing between 60 & 70. I rarely go over 3000 revs at any time and keep it in lockup when ever possible.
I work on 360 miles, fill up to fill up :? and have only run out once, when I started counting the 360 from the wrong place. :roll:
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Filled up today after 352 miles 55.63L @ £1.45.9 per L total £81 :evil: and using the Bongo dual fuel calculator that's 28.77 miles per gallon.
I don't think that's to bad in these cold mornings and having to rush home a couple of times pushing it up to 80 MPH 8)
Keep the Faith

winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks Fuel gauge now fixed.
I will put my unused spare fuel sender in the forsale section.
I also replaced the hoses as the ends had just started to perish
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:53 am

nigelgibson wrote:
ELZE wrote:Well I have a small LED lump next to empty which looks like a warning light, but then again you could be right as i have never run it down that low. As i said get to 450 and start looking...

Use it everyday on shool runs , short trips to shops etc and you will find you'll be walking the last 100 kms to get to 450 !!! :lol:

Well guys I am nearly 60 and school runs were not invented when I was young enough to remember and I certainly don't do them now, we had to walk to school or catch a bus ...alone...unaccompanied. Different world then. I rarely go to the shops as I buy in bulk once a month. I do travel to work and back daily @ 48 miles round trip x5 and sometimes I do a run with the missus at the weekends anything from 100-200 miles round trip. This means my miles are combined urban / motorway. I get 450km on the clock comfortably before i start looking for a fill up. I agree I would not push it beyond that as that would be asking for trouble.

I believe that with a well serviced engine with sound components could achieve 500-550km if it is driven correctly keeping at around 55-60 mph. I on the other hand get sick of HGv's trying to push me along or intimidate me because i will not hurry up. when I get sick I slow down more to get them to overtake, then i let them pace me for a while then put the hammer down and leave them holding up the outer lane. A few of these then they get the massage. I love to make their day.

I chuffing hate HGV drivers as they have no respect for the road or other road users. Take note next time your out how many are gabbing on a mobile phone or tailgating trying to push you up the lane!

Anyway in 450 is the key figure for me.
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
agentdagnamit
Bongonaut

Post by agentdagnamit » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:33 pm

At last, something good about my Bongo!

I can do about 350 miles on a tank on average, though usually refill after about 300 or so (the last mark on the fuel gauge is so small it makes me nervous). I usually have between 5 and 10 litres left when I fill up, judging by the amount of diesel that goes in and assuming a 65l tank

So that's 560km.

Now to sort out my coolant issues.....
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 pm

scanner wrote:98 (R) does not have one so you may be right, as mine is the last of the "old" models.
Mine has!!!!!!!!!! :D Sorry

I read the above answers with a grim expression on my face. Unless I'm on a long trip somewhere with proper roads, my fuel gauge is on the left hand end of E between 370km and 400km. Can't remember when the light comes on but I know that on both occasions I put 54 litres in the tank (my normal fill up from E is 52).
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Alison01326 wrote:
scanner wrote:98 (R) does not have one so you may be right, as mine is the last of the "old" models.
Mine has!!!!!!!!!! :D Sorry

I read the above answers with a grim expression on my face. Unless I'm on a long trip somewhere with proper roads, my fuel gauge is on the left hand end of E between 370km and 400km. Can't remember when the light comes on but I know that on both occasions I put 54 litres in the tank (my normal fill up from E is 52).
Aha, a long trip with proper roads - like the M6 :? :D
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Muzorewa wrote:Aha, a long trip with proper roads - like the M6 :? :D
Errrrmmmm, yes, that's the type of road I had in mind. Even a trip involving the dualled sections of the A30 is reflected in improved fuel consumption.

Ironically, we got better mpg towing a Scimitar back from Shropshire (including a little detour to Bourton on the Water and a traffic jam in Cheltenham) than we get locally :?
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:27 pm

We can all take inspiration from Torchwood and his 40 plus miles to the gallon :D

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... hp?t=15567
Keep the Faith

cazzyblues
Bongolier

Post by cazzyblues » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Well I am chuffed with mine. First time I have really checked it properly.
Bongo full to brim with Me, my daughter in heavy electric wheelchair and attached fold down 6ft ramp, quechua 4.1 tent, camping kitchen, table and two chairs, two cadac bbq's, Fridge with food, Cool bag full of cups,plates, cutlery etc. carrier bag of food, two sleeping bags, and a very heavy large fluffy blanket, Anywhere Bed ( heavy double airbed on a frame) two bags of clothes, two oxygen bottles, and a ventilator machine, misc. bits and bobs.

Distance travelled 137 miles,

Fuel to brim before we left and filled to brim again today using 21ltr costing £31.29 at 1.49 ltr.

Miles per galleon 29.66,
miles per ltr 6.52.
Kilmetres per litre 10.50
Max miles full tank 424.
Cazzy
Art of Wax ( Facebook page)
"Art is a pigment of your imagination". (Darcy Gerdes)

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”