SELLING BIODIESEL?

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

ELZE
Supreme Being

SELLING BIODIESEL?

Post by ELZE » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:49 am

I have just come across a guy on preloved selling biodiesel from veggie oil at £1 per ltr, Is that legal?
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: SELLING BIODIESEL?

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Is it biodiesel or recycled chip fat? Either way, unless you know it had been processed properly, I'd probably give it a miss. Plenty of folk here who know more about this than I do :)
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:43 pm

dont do it ...

OK if yopur into making it yourself and know yor stuff but some of it is shocking.

its not legal for him to sell it without paying the duty on it as bio is a fuel once made.and he wont be paying duty at that price and prob wont have it en tested either.

If someone sells you veg oil they are selling as veg oil and its no prob with tax ect until its used as a fuel.

would avoid it myself,they are very few that i would trust

stick to mix in your tank veg oil from mackro mate
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:22 pm

chipvan wrote:dont do it ...

OK if yopur into making it yourself and know yor stuff but some of it is shocking.

its not legal for him to sell it without paying the duty on it as bio is a fuel once made.and he wont be paying duty at that price and prob wont have it en tested either.

If someone sells you veg oil they are selling as veg oil and its no prob with tax ect until its used as a fuel.

would avoid it myself,they are very few that i would trust

stick to mix in your tank veg oil from mackro mate
Chipvan I could not agree more and I knew it is illegal to produce it and sell it I just wanted it confirmed. I sent him a message asking about it and he said it was legal. I sent him another message asking about details such as consents and exemptions and he has gone very quiet! As I suspected another chancer!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:15 pm

so say he gets his oil for free,uses chemicals,electric and labour then sells it.

so if it was legal take off income tax,15 p per litre for chemicals,5 p per ltr for power, and pay road duty on it

Then by selling your a buissness so your need to have a waste collection licience(exempt if for personal),and show you can contain bio safely in your property with safety in mind.

Then your need to have it tested it to en standards(which is not cheap at all!)

But saying all this,diy bio can be fine ,it all depends how (INTO) it they are and how much they know.
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:25 pm

some mix with other chemicals to thin white spirit and all sorts,and if you get diped with anything funny in your tank your be in for it!

not all bio sold is actually bio!
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:34 am

I once spent an interesting afternoon in a small Biodoesel factory, I also spent an hour at a friends who uses Veg oil from the local takaways and has a twin tank system to burn it.
My conclusions are its very easy to make Bio diesel that will work, but it needs to be made properly as whilst most attempts will run in a diesel engine they can cause lots of issues and the engine will run but not for long.
The factory man did explain to me how if you miss some of the stages out to save money the product will work but it would be very acidic or alkalike (cant remember which) then over the next few months start attacking the components of the fuel system.
IMHO I would just use straigh veg or make your own if you have the time etc
The factory I went to kept batch records, lab saml=ples etc, just loke a proper factory should
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:46 am

well said..i never botherd to learn about bio..spose one day if i have the time i will set aside 6months of reading...

loads on the vegi oil forums,but its all beyond me..

pros and cons really

bio= no kit but you have to make it using dangerous chemicals

wvo= ,easy to use just filter and pour in ,cheaper to use as fuel but more to go wrong on kit....tbh i have learned loads about twin tanking to carry me through most problembs.
I like the way i do it as it uses no power,no chemicals,safe to process...

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”