Fuel Consumption worrying me somewhat. roughly 20mpg

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Jimbob738
Bongolier
Location: Jaaaaacksdale! but a nottingham boy throught and through! you reds

Fuel Consumption worrying me somewhat. roughly 20mpg

Post by Jimbob738 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Ok i have replaced both diesel seals on the pump as they were leaking i was hoping this would have improved my MPG but i appear to be wrong.

i drove from Nottingham to Hull yestarday 172 mile round trip and my van used 70 quid of diesel my dad followed in his 6 cylinder 2.5 Landrover used 35 pounds of diesel, im not seeing any white smoke or rough running i dont understand why it used so much in total yetarday i used 80 pounds for about 200 miles slighly worrying me.

could the pump need adjusting as maybe its over fueling as a result of wear on the pump itself some advice please Guru's
i would say its running around 20 mpg roughly and my speed was average 65-70MPH on the M1 -M18.
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Re: Fuel Consumption worrying me somewhat. roughly 20mpg

Post by Jimbob738 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:34 pm

I know i am replying to my own posts but we just worked out on my run yesterday did around 17 mpg thats not good.
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:41 pm

i will be interested in seeing what people say on this topic as im sure our bongo is even worse on diesel :roll: :roll:
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Seriously im thinking this is a joke 70 pounds to go to hull and back for god sake thats crackers.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:54 pm

The 3 years i had my 2.5 diesel Bongo,I religiously brimmed it at every fill up and worked out the mileage . Running round town was about 23-25 mpg.........long motorway run at 60 mph was about 31-33 mpg.

I now have a 2ltr petrol which I brim at every fillup and get 18mpg :(

Brian
Last edited by Bongoplod on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Did you work that out full tank to full tank or just guessing using the fuel gauge?

Mine will easily do 300miles to 50 litres (6 miles per litre) on that sort of run with no stop start or urban driving.

6 miles per litre = 27mpg
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:03 pm

scanner wrote:Did you work that out full tank to full tank or just guessing using the fuel gauge?

Mine will easily do 300miles to 50 litres (6 miles per litre) on that sort of run with no stop start or urban driving.

well im going to work it out next weekend but i gave my missus the sums she did the calculations based on the price per litre that was 148.9 per litre and i put £70 in and got 172miles out of it which in my eyes is pretty crap @ average 65-70 mph motorway.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 pm

Jimbob738 wrote:
scanner wrote:Did you work that out full tank to full tank or just guessing using the fuel gauge?

well im going to work it out next weekend but i gave my missus the sums she did the calculations based on the price per litre that was 148.9 per litre and i put £70 in and got 172miles out of it which in my eyes is pretty crap @ average 65-70 mph motorway.

But did the £70 fill the tank right up?
What scanner is saying is that you can't get accurate figures unless you fill right up, before and after your journey. You can then see exactly how many litres were needed to cover the actual distance.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 pm

I get 22mpg combination of 30 mins runs and around town.
This was calculated by filling to the top twice
Going to Cornwall soon so that will be the test
Jimbob738
Bongolier

Post by Jimbob738 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:32 pm

well i put 50 in it before i jumped on the M1 got to hull and could see that what i had left wasnt gonna get me back all the way so i put another 20 in, im thinking from reading on here there are a few factors to consider why this happened.

1 just looked at my tyres they could do with changing soon.
2 the expensive stations i filled up at.
3 my driving wasnt the best i feel, see on a daily basis i drive a Honda civic VTI 185bhp car so i dont think im driving fast but i think maybe i was.
4 think my back brakes need looking at.

i need to rethink my approach was so excited that i fixed my bongo and it was back on the road. :|
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:57 pm

hi, the cost to run our bongo is definitely an issue. i recently drove up to edinburgh for a weekend and had to take the golf because i knew it would be a LOT cheaper which annoyed me because the drive would have been so much more enjoyable in the bongo. i know it would have cost double the price in the bongo :evil: :evil:
when we went to cornwall last year we spent nearly £300 on diesel which did seem a lot.

however, moan over. i love my bongo and hope not to part with it for a long time :D :D
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:01 pm

Think yourselves lucky.

I'm driving to Budapest in August :shock:
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Just a thought, have you checked the air filter is OK and that nothing is obstructing the airways.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 am

Bongoplod wrote:...I now have a 2ltr petrol which I brim at every fillup and get 18mpg :(
That'll be what some dealers rather optimistically refer to as the 'super economy engine'. I've only driven one & my observation was that it needed to be driven quite enthusiastly to keep up with the pace.

I've been logging the fill ups on my V6 but have yet to build up the courage to do the maths. I'd be quite happy with low 20's.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:13 am

Hi
I haven't checked the consumption for ages...if I did, i might cuss...alternatively I might just swallow hard and say "What the heck, I could be driving summat small, horrible and un-comfy"
When we got here, I checked the consumption by filling 'till the delivery pump clicked, running it, and filling up again....same as John and Scanner...Every indicated 3/4 tank fill-up clocked in at 29-31 MPG
Worse consumption towing a caravan from UK to Bulgaria.....average????....15 MPG....OUCH....
Apart from a couple of cars which did very well on fuel, I've never had a car return more than 30 MPG...but I prefer to drive what I enjoy rather than look for the cheapest ride on the block....If fuel gets dear, use it less....currently I do 6000 Kilometers a year...one service, and still look for ways to reduce ...no point in fitting energy bulbs and burning fuel like no tomorrow and smugly saving energy in the home...It's a world belonging to all of us!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”