Fuel Consumption worrying me somewhat. roughly 20mpg

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Fuel Consumption worrying me somewhat. roughly 20mpg

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:18 pm

Ah ..right ..!!

Still ... I would still rather pay for LPG than Petrol ..

I have used LPG for several years .. many have been keen to 'scare monger' on what the next government / budget will do to it ..!!

Still anything can happen .. a few back you paid a premium price to buy a Diesel motor .. now you pay a premium to buy the fuel ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:29 pm

I've always thought that you are 'at the mercy' of the next budget with LPG. Having said that, it's still a lot cheaper than petrol, and makes sense if you are keeping the vehicle for long enough to see out the payback period.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Just back from Cornwall
To
Kept at 2500 rpm ish never went over 3000RPM or 70mph
31.7 MPG
Running around mixed country lanes usually one hour each trip 26 on the first tank 27 on the second, so well impressed, its the urban that kills me down to 22mpg
Return journey should be good as I plodded at 50- 55 with the odd stint at 70 as a bird shattered the screen after the first hour so plodded home
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:17 pm

winchman wrote:Just back from Cornwall
To
Kept at 2500 rpm ish never went over 3000RPM or 70mph
31.7 MPG
Running around mixed country lanes usually one hour each trip 26 on the first tank 27 on the second, so well impressed, its the urban that kills me down to 22mpg
Return journey should be good as I plodded at 50- 55 with the odd stint at 70 as a bird shattered the screen after the first hour so plodded home
Your mpg figures pretty much match mine. :-)
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Post by technophobe » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Bongoplod wrote:The 3 years i had my 2.5 diesel Bongo,I religiously brimmed it at every fill up and worked out the mileage . Running round town was about 23-25 mpg.........long motorway run at 60 mph was about 31-33 mpg.

I now have a 2ltr petrol which I brim at every fillup and get 18mpg :(

Brian
Agree with Brian! Just about what we get although we have managed 38mpg but that was exceptional.

Generally it depends on your right foot. No competing with petrol heads at trafic lights and staying at 55 - 60 mph. Also don't forget that the wear and tear is about double if you go from 55 - 70.
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Some good figures there. 4wd diesel with mixture of motorways and running around gets me 24mpg. Never had it any better than this and I'd say it was average.
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Jimbob738 wrote:Ok i have replaced both diesel seals on the pump as they were leaking i was hoping this would have improved my MPG but i appear to be wrong.

i drove from Nottingham to Hull yestarday 172 mile round trip and my van used 70 quid of diesel my dad followed in his 6 cylinder 2.5 Landrover used 35 pounds of diesel, im not seeing any white smoke or rough running i dont understand why it used so much in total yetarday i used 80 pounds for about 200 miles slighly worrying me.

could the pump need adjusting as maybe its over fueling as a result of wear on the pump itself some advice please Guru's
i would say its running around 20 mpg roughly and my speed was average 65-70MPH on the M1 -M18.
there is an answer but its not simple nor easy, part of the bongo problem in terms of electronic components is the fuel gauge sender unit/dash gauge as their very poor quality resulting in some cases, an inaccurate display, ideally you need to run your vehicle till it runs out of fuel..very difficult with a diesel! but achievable with a 2.0 litre petrol ..fill the tank with 'gauged' gallon run the vehicle again till it starts to 'sputter' noting distance travelled then you will know exactly what your doing to the gallon
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:24 pm

My V6 does around 20 mpg in town and 28mpg on a good day on a run on LPG at 73.9p. I've never run on petrol but I'd guess it might improve things by a couple of MPH but at nearly half the price for LPG I'm not in a hurry to try.
Whoever is paying 90p/L needs to look around a bit. Even the Shell garage by me is selling at 79.9p/L.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:21 pm

mentaliss wrote: there is an answer but its not simple nor easy, part of the bongo problem in terms of electronic components is the fuel gauge sender unit/dash gauge as their very poor quality resulting in some cases, an inaccurate display, ideally you need to run your vehicle till it runs out of fuel..very difficult with a diesel! but achievable with a 2.0 litre petrol ..fill the tank with 'gauged' gallon run the vehicle again till it starts to 'sputter' noting distance travelled then you will know exactly what your doing to the gallon
Far easier to just brim the tank before and after a journey - you then know exactly how much fuel you have used for the mileage covered and won't risk running out of fuel 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
turbodave
Bongolier

Post by turbodave » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi, Dare I suggest that one should drive a Bongo with greater right foot control...slow pull away, slow acceleration. It is too easy to unnecessarily over rev the automatics. Anyway, one of the benefits of Bongo ownership is that my driving style/speed has "chilled out". Dave
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Tue May 01, 2012 9:54 pm

Just to pick up on Doones comment, is it fairly simple to check if the EGR is stuck?
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed May 02, 2012 9:52 am

Members with an egr problem have said they have more black smoke than they used to, and higher fuel consumption.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:41 am

Only had our bongo a few months and used mainly as a day van, went camping to devon/exmoor and a couple of longish runs on days out. I bought the bongo to see our wonderfull country in and enjoy the driving experience so the mpg just has to be accepted, it can't be that much of a worry as every bongo i see (allmost) the driver is looking very happy. I don't want to drive like a boy racer when i'm in the bongo i want to take my time and enjoy the view. Anyway the boss still has'nt realised it only does 27mpg yet sshh!!!. \:D/
being a philosopher, i have a problem for every solution.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Bongo's are thirsty beasts at the best of times, I always try and carry as little as possible now to help with fuel consumption, thank goodness for rapeseed oil,lol, checked my shed today and the 3 litre bottles I have stored are price marked at £1.99, I must have had them a while,lol.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:49 am

Hi
Just bought another "winter" vehicle...currently looks to be fairly OK on fuel, but something tells me it's going to be similar to the Bongo, and I don't expect it'll be economical in the snow :roll: :roll:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”