Regulated quality of diesel fuel

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Regulated quality of diesel fuel

Post by helen&tony » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 am

Hi
Just a quick question...
Is it mandatory across Europe for Diesel fuel to contain a percentage of Bio Fuel????...there had been talk over here of removing or reducing the percentage of Biofuel in diesel, in order to decrease the cost????...so, it made me think that the biofuel content is one reason fro increased diesel costs ...mmm...not only do I prefer not to have it in the diesel, but it seems I have to bear a higher cost for excessive use of planting areas which could be used to feed the masses :evil:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Regulated quality of diesel fuel

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm

yes helen.
i forget the exact amount, i think it started at around 5% and it keeps going up, i think its around 12% at the mo, or they are aiming for that in the near future.
look it up i am sure its out there somewhere, its all to do with the greenhouse/ targets that we are the only ones attempting to comply with.
i dont think we have to plant a tree though more like a useless windmill.

bio should come down soon have you seen the bumper crop this year of rapeseed #-o
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Blimey you would not believe it. When I checked out the current cost of Veggie Oil at my local Asda last Friday it was more expensive than diesel.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi
How crazy...I seem to remember reading that it was mandatory, but the forgettory is a bit up and down...
Ady...
Not sure what you mean about a tree???
Anyway...i find it hard to understand why they use land which could be cultivated for food, and turn to the populace and say we haven't enough land to grow food for the world, when they grow oil crops for cars....What kind of reasoning turns the governmental wheels when you feed cars instead of humans, and as a by-product of combustion poison the air as well...
Not sure if i've tele-ported to the planet Moronicus Daftis....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Who remembers when there was tax payable for using veg oil even in small quantities, the revenue only relaxed the rules because they new cost of the raw products was going to rocket due to the bio fuel issue.
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 am

dobby wrote:Who remembers when there was tax payable for using veg oil even in small quantities, the revenue only relaxed the rules because they new cost of the raw products was going to rocket due to the bio fuel issue.

Not so sure about that.
So many people registered to pay that they had to relocate from the Southend offices to Birmingham.
When they realised the cost of processing receipts for a few pounds cost the same as ones for thousands they did the same as they do for VAT and set the bar at the point where it doesn't cost them money to collect. :wink:
To infinity and beyond
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:34 am

Morrisons label their Diesel pumps ( I noticed in Skipton last week) as "contains around 7% Biofuel"....
I have been getting Veg from Hyperama Cash & Carry at £18.40 for 20 litres... vat free...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:16 pm

that sounds about right mike, they must be aiming for the 12% soon.
the bio content relies on the guys at head office ordering to get the entire tank content bio balance right as one load may come from one refinery,then the next from some imported dock storage/blenders tanks etc, so may vary quite a bit.
thats why some peeps like certain retailers fuel, and others dont, it seems to be a bit of a lottery at the moment.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”