MPG on Diesel 4wd

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Cashew
Bongonaut

MPG on Diesel 4wd

Post by Cashew » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:10 am

Just calculated the mpg on my 4wd diesel, 31 mpg, I can live with that :) I was expecting the low 20's.
Suppose keeping the revs down to under 2000 and having a light foot is the way to go.
gasace
Bongolier

Re: MPG on Diesel 4wd

Post by gasace » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:44 am

I have found on a run, driving sensibly, I can get 29 MPG but when I'm towing my trailer and the Bong is fully loaded for camping it drops to 24. I have not been brave enough to check what it does around town :lol:
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:54 am

Cashew wrote:Suppose keeping the revs down to under 2000 and having a light foot is the way to go.
I've been told that you should rag her every now and again to keep her regular, prevent build up of deposits in turbo, etc... Not sure how true that is, though.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:30 pm

Dont forget remove all not needed weight, keep all tyres up to regular psi, all helps with fuel economy.
Cashew
Bongonaut

Post by Cashew » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:57 am

Driver+Passengers wrote: I've been told that you should rag her every now and again to keep her regular, prevent build up of deposits in turbo, etc... Not sure how true that is, though.
This advice echoed in my ears on a recent trip whilst returning from Pembrokeshire :P The van didn't feel that stable at 85 I know I didn't, but I think I got rid of any deposits.

Cashew
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 am

David Edwards wrote:Dont forget remove all not needed weight, keep all tyres up to regular psi, all helps with fuel economy.
That includes Gas & water bottles if you are not using them.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:55 am

Not much point in doing that unless you use a full camper every day which I don't. My water tank is built in and rarely used as a 5 litre plastic bottle regularly topped up at the campsite does me fine. Gotta leave my gas bottle in as I would be lost without my cuppa.

Most of us with diesels save a few pennies by topping up the tank with a few bottles of veggie oil when it is cheap. The cost of veggie oil used to be very cheap at one time but these days the price fluctuates. At the moment it is http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 73&t=57515. These days I add between 6 and 10 @ 3 litre bottles of veggie oil to a tank full but some use more. Some people say that their diesel runs smoother as a result.

Another use for veggie oil is to bung some in and give your Bongo an Italian tune up down the motorway before taking the MOT emmission test. My bongo has never failed the test in the 5½ years that I have owned it.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm

I know that in the interests of fuel economy (especially around town when it is all accelerate then decelerate) that I shouldn't keep half my camping stuff in the Bongo. But even though I rarely use it at present, I love the idea that I have all I need with me, should I desire to go somewhere on a whim (you know, the 4 min warning sounds, advising that your town is going to be nuked - who you gonna call? :lol: :lol: ). But seriously, I can pretty much turn left out of work and go home, or turn right and go camping without a second thought (well, almost!).

So I live with the minor hit on MPG, because I want an MPV, otherwise I'd have bought something else that was more frugal on fuel.

But that's just me 8)
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:56 pm

Which ones Mike?

mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Just done Home to Rushden then Portsmouth docks & return to home...... 30% veg mix (Olympic brand oil....no jokes) and returned 32.82 mpg ...... Brimmed and using Bongo calculator

New tyres 2 weeks ago, Assymetric type (treadwear 400 rather than previous 360 )rather than the directional ones I had before (seems to have helped the economy by 2 mpg since fitted) all round at 40 psi ....
Most of the trip was a steady 56-60 mph where possible and traffic caused standstill creeping along both ways.... :roll:

Fuel used with the 30% veg was Morrisons Diesel
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
rhino-wayne
Bongolier

Post by rhino-wayne » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:11 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:............, I love the idea that I have all I need with me, should I desire to go somewhere on a whim (you know, the 4 min warning sounds, advising that your town is going to be nuked - who you gonna call? :lol: :lol: ). But seriously, I can pretty much turn left out of work and go home, or turn right and go camping without a second thought (well, almost!).

So I live with the minor hit on MPG, because I want an MPV, otherwise I'd have bought something else that was more frugal on fuel.

But that's just me 8)
=D> =D> That's how I travel :wink: ready for the unexpected, from a sudden sunny day day trip to the beach....all the way to WROL/SHTF/Alien Invasion :lol:
Proved a good thing on my last trip when the Bongo broke down :( #-o ....had plenty of snacks, drinks, clothing, coolant, tool kit etc etc
My other vehicle is very fuel efficient .......a BICYCLE 8) :lol:
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:13 pm

29.8 Mpg on a long motorway and dual carriageway trip doing either 70mpg on my own, or 60-70 behind lorries and coaches respectively. I probably slip streamed about 30% of the journey.

In town. 20 ish, at a guess - it's horrific. Super light foot is the key.

2.5TD 4x4 with full side conversion, and all the crockery etc associated with camping, plus a full fridge of food, plus other stuff - chairs, gazeebo, charcoal, bbq etc.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
alimey
Bongolier

Post by alimey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Interesting thread. I'm with the nihilists. What I love most about the Bongo is having all my 'stuff' with me. I do a lot of dog training and so have a wide range of extra clothing on board. Plus coffee/tea and emergency food. I keep my water tank 1/4 full. So am set for day camping.

For overnight I need to add bedding, & fore/aft screens - but that's about it.

For summer camping - a table to go outside and a BBQ.

When I'm driving down rutted tracks to my dog training events any passengers do comment that my kitchen stuff sounds a bit scarey - but it's soooo nice to be able to have a hot chocolate or coffee.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:51 pm

rhino-wayne wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:............, I love the idea that I have all I need with me, should I desire to go somewhere on a whim (you know, the 4 min warning sounds, advising that your town is going to be nuked - who you gonna call? :lol: :lol: ). But seriously, I can pretty much turn left out of work and go home, or turn right and go camping without a second thought (well, almost!).

But that's just me 8)
=D> =D> That's how I travel :wink: ready for the unexpected, from a sudden sunny day day trip to the beach....all the way to WROL/SHTF/Alien Invasion :lol:
Proved a good thing on my last trip when the Bongo broke down :( #-o ....had plenty of snacks, drinks, clothing, coolant, tool kit etc etc
My other vehicle is very fuel efficient .......a BICYCLE 8) :lol:
Great to read the ranks of the nihilists are swelling. And its a funny thing, but it was only because of the Bongo that I met some electric bike owners on a campsite. I bought one cheap on eBay, used it for work, and offset my Bongo fuel costs by saving about 2k in fuel costs. Such is the nature of serendipity ha ha.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:28 pm

My other vehicle is very fuel efficient .......a BICYCLE
The Bongo is a luxury, the bike is the weapon of commuter choice (although I appreciate this isn't possible for many).

30mpg on a long run, dread to think on the shorter around town runs (2wd though). Having said that, our car is a common rail diesel with a particulate filter and I'm happier taking a hit on fuel economy than the more costly long term service implications of using the car for short journeys.
Beyond A to B

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”