Fuel consumption on lpg

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

weebrian
Bongolier

Re: Fuel consumption on lpg

Post by weebrian » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:05 pm

I get an average of about 20mpg but keeping the speed to around 60mph on a run I can stretch to 25mpg.
Filled up on Friday at 61.9p/l, cheapest I've seen it for a while but was hammered in S Wales last week at 80p. Someone somewhere is making a lot of money!
Difficult to tell accurately the true mpg as ambient temperature has a great effect on how much you can squeeze into the tank.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:40 pm

iBongo wrote:I'm in East Lothian too. Where are you getting LPG locally? I usually go to Musselburgh, last time I was there it was 67p.

Cheapest LPG in Scotland is at ASDA in Kirckaldy in fife. I always stop in after seeing Bongo Bill, his workshop is right around the corner from it. Last time I filled up there, 62p =D> It's the only Asda I know of that sells LPG :evil:

I've noticed a Bongo on the way in to Haddington coming from Aberlady, would that be yours by any chance?

Also, I'm going to do a coolant bleed at my place within the next few weeks with a mechanic friend of mine. You're welcome to come and lend a hand if you wish :lol:

I get about 21 MPG on LPG.

Dreghorn is usually cheaper than Mussleburgh, don't know why because it's also Shell :roll:
Bought from Musselburgh at the weekend 71.9p, Longniddry is 80p at the moment.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
markdswan

Post by markdswan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:42 pm

WeeBrian,

Interesting point about ambient temperatures, but my angle is slightly different.

When you fill your LPG you are filling with a pressurised liquid, this is then released from the tank as a gas from the the of your tank, the pressurised liquid continues to convert to gas until the pressure in the tank is equal to the ambient atmospheric pressure, which means no more gas can escape, unless the following morning the atmosheric pressure has changed greatly (at which point you may be able to switch back to LPG again from a previously 'empty' tank).

All of which makes any sensible calc on MPG etc a bit variable if you dont take into account changes in atmospheric pressure (and I really have better things to do), even so, LPG is definitely a no brainer on my 320 mile per week commute!
weebrian wrote:WeeBrian,

Interesting point about ambient temperatures, but my angle is slightly different.

When you fill your LPG you are filling with a pressurised liquid, this is then released from the tank as a gas from the the of your tank, the pressurised liquid continues to convert to gas until the pressure in the tank is equal to the ambient atmospheric pressure, which means no more gas can escape, unless the following morning the atmosheric pressure has changed greatly (at which point you may be able to switch back to LPG again from a previously 'empty' tank).

All of which makes any sensible calc on MPG etc a bit variable if you dont take into account changes in atmospheric pressure (and I really have better things to do), even so, LPG is definitely a no brainer on my 320 mile per week commute!
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Dunno about ambient temperature .. I just look at the digital display on the LPG pump that tells me how much gas they have pumped into my tank and pay ..!!

As a point of interest 3months back I was paying 60p a litre, today (23/08/2012) I paid 65p a litre at the same filling station ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”