Fuel Consumption - Optimum Speed

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

snowrat
Bongolier
Location: Huddersfield when not in the Tatry, Andes & Himalaya Mountains

Re: Fuel Consumption - Optimum Speed

Post by snowrat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:15 pm

I think the bhp on the bongo is about 135 so you'll be able to leave them behind and get that best camping spot before they do!

I think I have just found another element to throw into the equation.. OVERDRIVE - anyone know what effect this has. I read that when you are on the cusp of the overdrive kicking in you can get vibration. At around 60-65mph (it is at a specific point, will have to check next time I'm on the motorway) I do get a lot of vibration with the steering wheel shuddering lots. Is anyone technical/knowledgeable enough to know whether just below or just above this point will be better for fuel consumption?
Snowrat
2WD 2.5TD in the Snow
Chamonix | Chile & Argentina Summer Skiing
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:26 pm

snowrat wrote:I think the bhp on the bongo is about 135 so you'll be able to leave them behind and get that best camping spot before they do!

I think I have just found another element to throw into the equation.. OVERDRIVE - anyone know what effect this has. I read that when you are on the cusp of the overdrive kicking in you can get vibration. At around 60-65mph (it is at a specific point, will have to check next time I'm on the motorway) I do get a lot of vibration with the steering wheel shuddering lots. Is anyone technical/knowledgeable enough to know whether just below or just above this point will be better for fuel consumption?
I don't know where you read that. Once its locked into top (not overdrive really) at around 40mph, that's it.

You shouldn't get that vibration at 60-65, though the Bongo is fussy about wheel balancing (my 17" alloys were very tricky to balance the guy told me, and they are now out a bit so I get a little bit of vibration). But that is probably what it is and you should get it done. Once balanced, a Bongo (in still air) goes down the road very well, with no wheel vibration, and with very little fuss (though I would avoid excessively high speeds, and high speed swerving esp. with an AFT - a dangerous place to be). I heard of someone (not me, obviously :roll: ) who eased theirs up to 100mph with no trouble at all. But the Bongo belongs at 50-70mph really, thats where it and everyone in it enjoys good karma. 8)
snowrat
Bongolier

Post by snowrat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks for the clarification Mike. It was probably my interpretation that was wrong. I read a number of articles so not sure where it was.
I have had my Bongo over 100mph, whilst it ran well, didn't feel in enough control to try it again. Cruises all day long at around 85mph on the French motorways though.
Just reading some old threads as I may well embark on a trip to the Outer Hebrides soon. Inspiring stuff. Hence the interest in how to get the best fuel economy. Fairly important as I will be sharing the costs with none other than myself!
Snowrat
2WD 2.5TD in the Snow
perros huevos
Bongolier

Post by perros huevos » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:59 pm

rita wrote:
perros huevos wrote:at 2250rpm i am chugging along at 80mph & can get 40mpg driving at 70/75 only downside it cost £120 to fill the tank

The Other Eight Wonders of the World
The Colossus of Rhodes
The Great Pyramid of Giza
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Lighthouse of Alexandria
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
The perros huevos Bongo getting 40mpg
hi i should have mentioned its a T5 anyway heres photographic evidence the second dial from the right is the fuel gauge showing full it took 83 litres & cost me £73 with my 50p a litre off tesco vouchers wich are still avail on ebay at £8 for 5 x 10p off but hurry they expire 26th aug
hope to get 700 mile from a tank
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:10 pm

snowrat wrote: OVERDRIVE - I read that when you are on the cusp of the overdrive kicking in you can get vibration. At around 60-65mph (it is at a specific point, will have to check next time I'm on the motorway) I do get a lot of vibration with the steering wheel shuddering lots. Is anyone technical/knowledgeable enough to know whether just below or just above this point will be better for fuel consumption?
That's wheel balance, nothing to do with "overdrive" which is actually "4th gear lock up".
snowrat
Bongolier

Post by snowrat » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks for clarifying that Scanner. Will have to get the wheel balancing checked out.
Snowrat
2WD 2.5TD in the Snow

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”