Rev Worries V6

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Rev Worries V6

Post by Bogmonster40 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:09 pm

No I am not confessing to any shenanigans about my time as a choirboy [-X :lol:
I left my home today to drive into Cardiff, after about 3 miles I pulled up to a set of traffic lights when my rev counter started going from 2500 to 0 then stalling. After re-starting it was as if someone was revving the engine as it was now going from 1000 revs to 0 and stalled again. I pulled over as I was worried something was about to go on it. After turning the engine off and trying to ring a couple of people who are more knowledgeable than me, sadly no-one was awake...... #-o
After about 5 mins I re-started the car and it was fine. Coming home 7 hours later it was still fine.

Obviously there is an issue with my engine but I cant find any answers on here or google - any suggestions anyone :roll: :roll: :roll:
V6 2.5i Tintop Aero Petrol/LPG
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Re: Rev Worries

Post by M 80NGO » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:19 pm

Petrolium or Deisolium ? If petrol it could be the idle control unit tho tbh i'm not genned up on the petrol variant do they even have an idle control valve ? could also be Mass air flow meter. Could even be a perforated inlet hose from the air box to the inlet manifold.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:22 pm

:-k Hi, Just read of your plight... I see you have a V6 with LPG...? Any cruise control fitted...? I'll keep my head down now & let the experts put in.... 8)
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:24 pm

M 80NGO wrote:Petrolium or Deisolium ? If petrol it could be the idle control unit tho tbh i'm not genned up on the petrol variant do they even have an idle control valve ? could also be Mass air flow meter. Could even be a perforated inlet hose from the air box to the inlet manifold.
:lol: Fat lot of help we are!!!?? :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
M 80NGO
Supreme Being

Post by M 80NGO » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm

But atleast we're trying, Very trying !!!!!!!! :lol:
rita
Supreme Being

Re: Rev Worries V6

Post by rita » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi,

It sounds like injector timing malfunction.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 pm

My V6 does exactly as you describe after 2/3 miles......in my case the reason is, that is about how long I have to drive to get the temp up to 40C where it switches from petrol to LPG. If I happen to stop for any reason at this point ( or until my temp gauge reaches 48C) the engine will stall.......once you know this is the problem it is easy if you have to stop to "flick" it onto petrol......I have a aftermarket digital temp gauge fitted so I can predict the problem before it happens......once you know what,s happening it is no longer a problem...
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
M 80NGO
Supreme Being

Post by M 80NGO » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:04 pm

haydn callow wrote:My V6 does exactly as you describe after 2/3 miles......in my case the reason is, that is about how long I have to drive to get the temp up to 40C where it switches from petrol to LPG. If I happen to stop for any reason at this point ( or until my temp gauge reaches 48C) the engine will stall.......once you know this is the problem it is easy if you have to stop to "flick" it onto petrol......I have a aftermarket digital temp gauge fitted so I can predict the problem before it happens......once you know what,s happening it is no longer a problem...

That was gonna be my next guess :D
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Agree with Hayden its the LPG switch over. Mine started doing this for the winter this week as its got colder. Usually it switches over totally painlessly, but if the switchover happens when stopped at a junction, it can stall. A chilly day makes this more likely, in warm weather you can stop and start no problem. Cure is just watch the temperature gauge, I have one of Haydens TM2's or just time it. If you have to stop within the first few minutes, switch to petrol until all is warm or you have a straight bit of road for it to do the changeover. Often just it revving in neutral until the LPG light comes on will keep it running.

A lpg service could improve things. Mine was much worse last winter when recently converted, improved with a service and was totally cured all summer.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Similar to my V6 /LPG .. when cold it starts / runs / ticks over 100% perfect on petrol, but at low speeds when it first switches over to LPG the rev counter fluctuates quite a bit, plus it's prone to stall / run lumpy at tick over until the engine has really warmed up ..

The the guy who fitted my LPG last December as gone kapput, as he did not put my Bongo on the LPG / insurance register I had to get it checked and certified by the Walsall Autogas guy who converted my Toyota Emina .. I mentioned this issue to him and he said when I take it for it's LPG service he should be able to tune the problem out with his lap top ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Bainsy
Bongonaut

Post by Bainsy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Certainly not a normal problem. My bongo is V6 LPG and I have owned it since March this year, have done about 6k miles and experienced no problems at all when it changes from petrol to LPG after a few miles. Maybe a LPG service required?
Nigel

New Shape White over Silver V6 LPG JAL Side Conversion Mushroom Roof
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Mine is OK when leaving home and going for a run .. it's more of a low speed problem while in stop start traffic when it first switches over to gas ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
AeroNut
Bongolier

Post by AeroNut » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:16 pm

I have exactly the same problem... bit difficult to control especially when in gear..... My local LPG installers have told me it's the sensor in the exhaust... the .. is it Co2 or Lambda sensor...... The resistance changes as it gets warmer.. The LPG cuts in at a certain temperature... The two should seamlessly cross. If the sensor doesn't have a straight ramp up temp/resistance then the LPG doesn't control properly. Once this happens if you put it in neutral and hold the engine revs up around 2-3000 for 20-30 secs on mine it's enough to get past this stage.... If it is this, bear in mind yours may be a different warming process but the result is the need to change the Lambda sensor...... Mazda prices......Phew! There are plenty of suggestion for alternative sensors.... but you have to wire them in.....and so on.....

I must get round to doing mine.... only had the sensor a year in Dec........

Hope this helps
Please bear in mind this only a suggestion... could be something completely different.....

Regards
Terry
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Very .. similar to mine .. I feel while cold, if the tick over was upped, it would help especially when in stop / go / slow / traffic situations...

Strange thing is .. my Toyota switches over to gas very quickly, but I have no problems with slow / stop / start driving .. just the lack of performance compared with petrol until she is warmed up ..

Plus I use about four times the amount of petrol .. £20 only lasts me 2-3 weeks in the Bongo ..
jojay5
Bongolier

Post by jojay5 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 pm

I find putting the aircon on keeps the revs up enough to prevent this in mine. I switch off after 5 mins though to save fuel!
James, Jo & Erin
JAL/V6/LPG/Mushroom/Full Side Conversion/Cannon Forge Bed

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”