LPG Price hike

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Re: LPG Price hike

Post by bongodonkey » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:22 pm

A bit to far for me to drive to gas up :( :( :( 76ppl here...... :shock:
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Well to be truthful it's actually 0.74p a litre where I go ...

But as a 'regular' and paying on fill up (not on account) they knock 0.3p a litre off ..

Another 'perk' most of us LPG users get (well I do !!) in all the years of using LPG I have only filled mine up an handful of times myself ..I get the good old fashioned 'fore court service' .. and a chat with the guy filling it up for me ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:12 pm

That happened when I gassed up outside of 321 Away a couple of weeks ago, & it was 69.9ppl with a ice lady doing the business for me :D
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:35 pm

bongodonkey wrote:That happened when I gassed up outside of 321 Away a couple of weeks ago, & it was 69.9ppl with a nice lady doing the business for me :D

Last bit sounds good .. maybe worth the trip from Walsall ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Worth every penny.....bit of a fu par there.....lol :lol: :lol:
Luke and Debs
Bongolier

Post by Luke and Debs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:38 pm

just had my bill through for october 70.2ppl with country wide, no increase in november. and can fill up from north devon across to swindon up to birmingham and through out south wales. all on account but def worth it

cheers all

plus is still cheaper than petrol
Luke (V6 and LOVING IT)
Bainsy
Bongonaut

Post by Bainsy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:00 am

Getting LPG for the equivalent of 61ppl here in the Algarve where we are on hols.
Nigel

New Shape White over Silver V6 LPG JAL Side Conversion Mushroom Roof
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:55 am

The original post was in relation to the government raising the tax / price on LPG for road vehicles as opposed to LPG in domestic heating ..

I did casualty query with the guy who supplies LPG for my motors about the feasibility of having a 'rural type' domestic LPG tank at home and using it to fill my own motors as there is no road fuel tax .. a bit like using Veggy .. or very illegal red diesel ... but with no change of dipping the tank ..

No go he said .. as domestic LPG supplies the house with gas (via the top of the storage tank) .. where as the 'filler' for vehicles is at the bottom of the tank to supply liquid gas ... and if the ('Calor' gas) tanker driver noticed any modifications he was obliged to notify his 'office' of any irregularities ..

All vehicle duty is a government rip off ... I pay 0.71p a litre locally for what is essentially a 'waste' by product of the gas / petrol chemical industry ..

Half a mile away at the diesel truck stop they sell CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) for 0.27p a litre ... how long before the Government realise that some buses / lorries are paying less than diesel ..??
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:39 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:Half a mile away at the diesel truck stop they sell CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) for 0.27p a litre ... how long before the Government realise that some buses / lorries are paying less than diesel ..??
But then a litre of COMPRESSED gas contains a lot less energy than a litre if LIQUID gas so maybe that is why it costs less.

As for this "by-product" idea, I don't know where it has come from, all the fractions that come from crude oil are "products" and they all have a value.
LPG is one of the most widely used fuels in the world, it is not a "by" product of anything - and it certainly isn't waste.
Bainsy
Bongonaut

Post by Bainsy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Check out Wikipedia. LPG is a product created from the petroleum refining process i.e. a by product. I thought we were being persuaded to use greener products which lpg is. So why has the government increased lpg tax by more than petrol? Obviously just a question of increasing taxation with no real concern for anything else.
Nigel

New Shape White over Silver V6 LPG JAL Side Conversion Mushroom Roof
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Bainsy wrote:Check out Wikipedia. LPG is a product created from the petroleum refining process i.e. a by product. I thought we were being persuaded to use greener products which lpg is. So why has the government increased lpg tax by more than petrol? Obviously just a question of increasing taxation with no real concern for anything else.
NO it's a "product" (just like everything else produced by a refinery) not a "by-product".
If gas is a "BY" product so is oil, diesel, gasoil, tar, naptha, gasoline, paraffin etc. etc.

It is also used as a road fuel and so should be taxed the same as other road fuels.
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 pm

I think - in my own opinion that the gas is a by-product of petrolium production. That by-product itself is a greener fuel, which is why in the past the govt wanted us to use it......hence all those incentives years ago!

As lpg becomes more mainstream two things happen.

1. Demand v's supply........plenty of it at the moment!
2. Just like diesel went, eventually lpg will get more expensive as the average joe realises that it's good value!

You could split hairs about whether lpg is a 'product' or a 'by-product'. The definitions found on the net state it is a 'by-product' of petrolium production.

It is however, in grammatical terms then a product that is sold on in it's own right! So both schools of thought are correct.

But, as a by-product of petrolium, I certainly feel that a disproportionate hike in it's duty a bit of a kick in 'pips'! Still what can you do. Remember it used to be burnt off until some clever person realised it had a use.

No point voting out the current govt ...........all Labour would do is screw us even more in taxes to fund their ridiculous 'spend our way out it' mentality..............

Centre right or centre left...........days to traditional socilasim are long past.....IMOO! Besides would you really want that drippy such and so Miliband running the country.......... [-X it should of been his brother..........fortunately for the tories he didn't get the job!

Basically, we are all lining up to take a nice big bite of a S**T sandwhich.........who's first?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:35 am

Hi
Quote: "It is also used as a road fuel and so should be taxed the same as other road fuels."
Scanner is right...why should any government ignore a valid source of revenue....look at what the Government have to pay out....schooling, health, policing, armed forces, emergency services, parks, highways, inspectorates of public premises, including maintenance of said premises, and standards of goods for sale. The alternative is to pay for each item separately, and anyone opting out would have to live in an area where such services are not provided......commonly called a ghetto ....so, a few coppers on the price of fuel gives you all that, and freedom of movement , freedom from repression and availability of civil rights...good value, I reckon, and if it discourages anyone from excessive use of their vehicle, it also means less pollution, and better air to breathe, making the odd camping foray in the Bongo a pleasurable experience!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:59 am

You make some valid points Helen and in an ideal world where public transport wasn't at capacity and expensive and reliable and didn't take 120 mins to cover 6 miles I would use it.

In the summer months I run/bike into work. With the weather and bad light I don't want to risk life and limb with these lunatics round my end.

So, fair enough pay a hike.......for what precisely?........just more of a rinsing!

My house hold already contributes about £1300 in tax & NI between the 2 of us in direct taxation. We already run 2 vehicles with the tax liability for both in fuel, road tax etc etc. any savings we can make in fuel we will take. Running on LPG is a massive saving........the same logic why so many use veg oil.

Does anyone here pay the duty on veg oil they use? Doubt it....I wouldn't!

Having worked and travelled extensively around this planet I know how lucky we are. Our problem in the UK is that those that can't are supported......AS IT SHOULD BE......those that don't want to are also supported from the same pot........which we all pay into.......so when the govt tries to change it Labour and the bleeding heart, liberal brigade go nuts.......!

Point is enough is enough, so any hike in any tax is painful, even a few coppers per litre!

I'm lucky to have a job.........not had a pay rise in 4 years though.........cost of living over the same period hasn't stopped though.....my average weekly shop used to be £60 a week, it's now averaging £85/90 to feed 5 of us and me dog........thank crumb cake for Lidl & Aldi.... =D>

My parents moved to live in Cyprus, expecting the same level of care and welfare as the UK. Bubble burst and they are struggling massively and can't sell up to come back! Once again reinforcing how lucky we are in he UK!

Everyone's circumstances differ......if a price rise is due it should be fair and proportionate across the board........

Then again according to the news the Chancellor is in a 'listening mood' and the rise maybe scrapped.

Still it's been good to blether..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:19 pm

With the 'plugging' (in) of lecky cars, as they are using the roads they should be taxed accordingly as well then..??

Except for the very few genuine 'true' tree huggers .. I believe most go for cheaper running costs, as opposed to the cost to our planet ..

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”