LPG UK check

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

LPG UK check

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:08 pm

I was topping up my Flash Lube yesterday when my son came outside to say there was a phone call for me ..

Guy from LPG UK (they who puts LPG conversions onto the Insurance companies register) .... no obligation .. but he come and check the conversion over on Tuesday ..

Any one else been 'honoured' ..??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: LPG UK check

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:19 pm

No, only had mine 2 weeks, but I think it's all part of the process to ensure the installers are following the all the relevant rules and regulations.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 pm

I did mention that the guy who fitted my conversion (LPG Imports Coventry) had gone into liquidation and was no longer trading under that name so I had to get an independent inspection done for entry onto the LPG register by the Walsall Autogas guy who did my Toyota Estima conversion ..

No problem .. he will be round Tuesday ..

I hope all is OK .. as the Romano system (as I assume are most 'kits' are) guaranteed for two years for parts ... so maybe there is a chance that the warranty will still be honoured ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Simon Jones wrote:No, only had mine 2 weeks, but I think it's all part of the process to ensure the installers are following the all the relevant rules and regulations.
Hi,usually you need to volunteer for this check.

Cheers.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:15 pm

I did on line ..!!

I never thought that there would be a follow through ..
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:16 am

teenmal wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:No, only had mine 2 weeks, but I think it's all part of the process to ensure the installers are following the all the relevant rules and regulations.
Hi,usually you need to volunteer for this check.

Cheers.

Interesting, are there legally binding regulations on car conversions in England?
To infinity and beyond
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:37 am

Hi
Unless it's been changed over recent years, there weren't any legal requirements when I was looking to get my Toyota 4x4 converted...in fact there were many converters, but only a few with an agreed standard.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 pm

When I had my Toyota converted 5-6 years ago I was issued with a paper certificate that I .. had .. to let the insurance company look at ..

When I had my Bongo done last Christmas the converter said that now the details where entered onto the UKLPG computer ... but they where not ..!!

I not used / insured the Bongo until June .. the insurance / tax all done on line .. the insurance Co: asked if the motor was on the LPG register and as thought it was I said yes ...

A couple of weeks later I received a recorded delivery letter from the Insures saying that the Bongo was .. not .. on the UKLPG register and as the converter had gone into liquidation I would have to get and pay for an independent inspection by a reputable LPG converter, or the insurance would be cancelled ..

So I had to go 'cap in hand' to the guy who did my Toyota (and was expecting to do the Bongo) .. he charged me £50 to check it over and enter the details on the UKLPG computer .. which was done instantly .. when I got home half an hour later, I entered my Bongos reg: number .. and it was there ..

http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi Mike
I am talking about 9 - 10 years ago...I had a few thoughts on LPG conversions, but trying to find a reliable indicator of who was good seemed difficult...I found one seemingly "expert" fitter in Amersham, but then I sold the Toyota!...sadly!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Mike,

how did you get on with the LPG check.?
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:14 pm

A complete formality ..

Guy comes bang on time .. clip board in hand .. spends minutes .. visually checking the installation .. never even had to start the engine .. I even had to lift the engine covers myself .. he just ticked the boxes on his form as said all was fine ..

But .. I did wonder how much mechanical expertise he actually had .. I noticed he came in a Mercedes Kompresor .. so I queried how the supercharged engine coped with LPG compared to a Turbo ..

It turned out that it was not converted and he remarked that a supercharger "just puts more air into the engine" anyway and does not really have a lot of 'input' to an engines performance ... when I started to talk about boosting fuel / air above atmospheric pressure (14.7psi) he 'sort of' walked away ..

With his other 'off hand' answers .. I tend to think that maybe the 'inspectors' are 'normal' guys who are only 'trained ' what to look for on an installation but lack real mechanical knowledge to offer advise if necessary ..
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 pm

:lol: :lol: I bet you never imagined that this type of jobs existed,he probably left you and went on to read a few Gas/Electric meters.
Cheers.

PS did he wear rubber gloves..
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:43 pm

That is a amazing ..!!

I actually said to my eldest lad ... "bet he's of to read some gas and lecky meters now" ...!!
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:40 am

mikeWalsall wrote:That is a amazing ..!!

I actually said to my eldest lad ... "bet he's of to read some gas and lecky meters now" ...!!

I find this typical of the way things work today, unless you have been 'accredited' your not qualified………… :roll:

I did 2yrs at a collage doing a car related course and had to explain to the examiner how third spring technology and the T bar anti roll system worked on the car I was building…………. :shock: :shock: :shock:

To infinity and beyond
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:04 am

More clipboard madness............. :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... iness.html
To infinity and beyond

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”