What are the symptoms of a failing fuel filter (diesel)

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Dodgey
Supreme Being

What are the symptoms of a failing fuel filter (diesel)

Post by Dodgey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 am

I've been happily running on around 50% rape seed oil for a while now. One thing I've noticed is very rarely (usually about 1 in 20 journeys), just for a very brief period of time, usually at tick over at lights, it will "miss" a couple of times. It's done this in the warm and the cold.

A really rare occurrence - so much so that I ignored it until it happened briefly yesterday and I'm thinking it's probably my fuel filter slowly clogging up? I've got a spare ready to install - just thought I'd block up the original good and proper first.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: What are the symptoms of a failing fuel filter (diesel)

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Dodgey wrote:I've been happily running on around 50% rape seed oil for a while now. One thing I've noticed is very rarely (usually about 1 in 20 journeys), just for a very brief period of time, usually at tick over at lights, it will "miss" a couple of times. It's done this in the warm and the cold.

A really rare occurrence - so much so that I ignored it until it happened briefly yesterday and I'm thinking it's probably my fuel filter slowly clogging up? I've got a spare ready to install - just thought I'd block up the original good and proper first.
I'd fit the new one now to avoid a callout. This would also confirm if the filter is the problem, or not! :-)
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:31 pm

50% veg oil is too much in this cold weather - I always dropped to 25% in winter.
If your filter is blocked enough to cause stalling, you should have noticed a slight drop in power.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Personally, I'd change a filter before it gets totally blocked so you don't risk fuel starvation somewhere inconvenient such as a motorway or just after pulling out on a roundabout. Diesel (& any other oil you chuck in the mix) also acts as an lubricant for the pistons in the cylinder bores, so as the supply decreases you are likely to increase wear in the engine. Also clean out the banjo filter as that tends to gunge up in normal use.
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Am I to assume that initial use of oil can block the filter as it stirs up crap from the bottom of the tank? What I am hoping to do is get the de-gunking out of the way before I put the new filter in. I've run through about 2 tanks of 50/50 so far.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:28 pm

I've read that veg oil does tend to have a cleansing affect to some extent, but on the other hand it can speed the degradation of rubber pipes and seals in the injector pump so that's potentially more crud making it's way into the engine.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 am

I had this a few weeks back on the way from Inverness. I too had been running on 50/50 SVO. My symptoms were loss of power and dragged myself last 112 miles at 35-
40mph P***ing everyone else off on the single roads. Asked about on this forum and got the answer, went to garage fitted filter and Bingo! (or was that Bongo? ) anyway it worked. Now I keep a spare one at hand just in case as I travel a lot.
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Terri & colin
Bongolier

Post by Terri & colin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Do you do anything to the veg oil and do you have just the normal fuel filter?
Iv got a diesel but I'm worried about buttering up the fuel system.
Terri x
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:50 pm

Terri & colin wrote:Do you do anything to the veg oil and do you have just the normal fuel filter?
Iv got a diesel but I'm worried about buttering up the fuel system.
Terri x
Not if you use new veg oil - used oil requires filtering. No special fuel filter, just carry a spare as the veg oil cleans the muck from your fuel system and may block the old filter after a few hundred miles.
Loads of threads regarding the use of veg oil already on the forum 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Terri & colin
Bongolier

Post by Terri & colin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Cheers.... I just love being a head chef..... Driving as just got cheaper =P~
I'm going to change my filter this weekend.... I might just leave it and run some cooking oil through and see how we go.. I'm going to get some oil scrubbers for the old oil as we just give it away to the farmers.
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:06 pm

give it away???? are you mad!

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”