Petrol V Diesel

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

southcoastrob
Junior Bongonaut

Petrol V Diesel

Post by southcoastrob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:46 am

Hi,

Long time since I have been back on the forum (guilty look......)

My Tintop unfortuently has been written off by someone driving into the backend and then drove off without leaving any details, so not too happy about that!!

It was a 2.5TD M reg, I am looking to get another one but am considering a V6 2.5 Petrol as there is a couple around that fit my budget sub £4000 for a S reg in very nice conditions.

My question is what difference will I find between my diesel to petrol V6 2.5?

I guess the TAX will be the same due to engine size but will the performance e.g. power be the same?

and the big question will the mpg be similar, I know you wont know what my vehicle did but if anyone knows it they are similar or a big difference that would be great.

Look forwward to hearing back from anyone.

Rob
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Petrol V Diesel

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Very little difference to be honest, and with the current fuel prices not a lot of difference in overall driving costs.
Power wise the V6 needs more revs for the same power output, as with any petrol. Its a lot quieter, servicing is a lot less frequent for oil etc. but Cam belts are a bit of a sod to get to.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:20 pm

The V6 should have more power, but less torque - certainly less torque where it's most needed.

As for MPG some claim to get as good as a diesel in "best scenario" conditions, but most appear to get a fair bit worse most of the time and you can't run a petrol on veg oil.
The solution is LPG, but you have to bank on managing to keep it for at least a couple of years in order to get the conversion costs back.

ME? I haven't had a petrol car since 1988 and wouldn't go back to one now.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:11 pm

I actually like the purr of the diesel on the move, and I love its relaxed torque. And I've had 32mpg on a run. And as long ad you have a good one with no overheating issues, the engine seems very solid and reliable (ask Muz!) and cheap to maintain (possible exception might be late model fuel pumps, though I've not heard of many issues).
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Rob,
Would not buy a V6 without an LPG conversion, I drive like a hearse driver and never had over 26mpg(petrol) on a long run, I do carry a bit of extra weight,( i.e full conversion, mushroom roof, awning, tow-bar with bik-rack and full size spare plus gas cylinders for cooking).
However, as I plan to drive my bongo until it falls apart it was worth me doing the conversion to lpg.
I get 21mpg(lpg) at 72p per ltr at present, about 250miles per tank for less than £50 with very little difference in performance once my bongo is up to running temperature. Very fast and smoothe, needs a bit more revs than the diesel when climbing steep hills.
I think it will take me about 15,000 miles to recover the cost of the installation.
I had to have a tow-bar fitted as I like to carry a full size spare, it is mounted on a Bike Rack, my lpg tank is mounted where the spare wheel would normally be carried. (£300 cost of rack and tow-bar). Costs more to service the V6 but less frequent.

Jim...
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”