Lpg inspection

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Lpg inspection

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 am

When I checked if I was on the lpg register I offered my bongo up for inspection, I've been selected and he's coming on Tuesday, mine was fitted by David Connelan who is said to be excellent, so I don't expect any problems.
I've read a couple of posts that say they don't inspect much, however the inspector sounded very clued up on the phone so will see how it goes, more for "peace of mind" i suppose.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Lpg inspection

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 am

I had mine 'inspected' before Christmas .. the guy did not find any problems ...

Strangely last week I had another phone call from LPG UK ... could they send some one round to inspect the LPG conversion ... he was bit bemused when I told him it had been done a couple of months back ...!!

Apparently the 'inspector' ... (I forget his name .. I remember he had a supercharged (Kompressor) Mercedes) .. had not submitted the report into the office ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 am

I think I saw your post at the time Mike, and it stuck in my mind that you were surprised at how little he actually inspected.
He is due around 2pm today so I will see how it goes,

Jim....
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 am

I was surprised how quick the 'job' was done ...

I suppose I expected an MOT type of inspection with the bus up on ramps .. the guy underneath pulling and tugging at pipes and the like .. engine running .. probe up the exhaust pipe etc:..

But no ... it was just a five minute visual ... the guy did not even seem the chatty .. stop for a coffee kind either .. job done .. in his Merc. and away !!

But I am glad I had it done .. at least with UKLPG following jobs through by checking independent Autogas fitters .. proves they are an ethical organisation .
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Exactly as you said Mike, no tea or coffee required, (although he did explain he had a bit of a drive ahead of him), 100%visual 5 minute inspection, he was happy with the job, I mentioned my bongo was cutting out on lpg whilst cold he then gave me the contact number of a Guy at Scotlandwell (Kinross) who is the top man in the area for setting up Romano systems, so I found him quite helpful.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Visited the guy at Scotlandwell near Kinross, he gave my bongo the once over on my lpg system, did not like where the valve unit was mounted on side of the tank,(it's right behind the rear wheel) as the rear wheel throws crap all over it, he advised me to spray it as soon as possible with clear wax oil. He also fitted some rubber sleeving to my plastic gas pipes, (he always fits copper pipes to his conversion) as the outer core of the pipe was getting roughed up by a couple of engine brackets. He adjusted my lub-oil system to 10 drops per min, I had noticed that it was still almost full, and had not required topping up since I bought the bongo (3000 miles and hardly used a drop), confirmed it was a good neat conversion apart from the valve mount position on the tank.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Jim the Box wrote:Visited the guy at Scotlandwell near Kinross, he gave my bongo the once over on my lpg system, did not like where the valve unit was mounted on side of the tank,(it's right behind the rear wheel) as the rear wheel throws crap all over it, he advised me to spray it as soon as possible with clear wax oil. He also fitted some rubber sleeving to my plastic gas pipes, (he always fits copper pipes to his conversion) as the outer core of the pipe was getting roughed up by a couple of engine brackets. He adjusted my lub-oil system to 10 drops per min, I had noticed that it was still almost full, and had not required topping up since I bought the bongo (3000 miles and hardly used a drop), confirmed it was a good neat conversion apart from the valve mount position on the tank.

What was the "cutting out on lpg whilst cold " problem.(cure)
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Yep! it's just a case of him adjusting (with his laptop), the switch-over temp, setting it a few degrees higher to allow for the cold weather at this time of year. He said the sensors can be out + or - a few degrees and need sometimes need to adjusted slightly during cold snaps especially if your lpg has been fitted and set up in the summer.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:27 pm

My Bongo takes twice as long to switch over to gas than my Toyota .. but they both switch over seamlessly ..

Although the temperature gauge reads 'normal' and you can feel the heater .. when first getting into traffic, the Bongo 'hunts' a bit .. but after say another five minutes it is fine ..

I know that my Bongo could do with a new dizzy cap .. rotor and plug leads .. as I had already bought 6 new NGK plugs for less than £10 off eBay I thought I would fit them any way ..

Only an easy five minute job to remove the old ones .. to find they looked brand new .. electrodes square .. the porcelain still shining white ..

The only problem was they had been overtightened ..and the threads appeared to be 'pulled' and slightly distorted .. being into alloy heads that is not good .... so rather than re fitting them .. I closed the gaps on the new plugs down to 0.imm .. and fitted those instead ..

The change is unbelievable .. engine still starts fine .. but now ticks over like a sewing machine, with none of the previous 'iffy' tick, over with the revs raising / dropping .. when it seemed likely to stall ..

BUT .. the 'lumpy' running when first switching over to gas when in traffic, still needs to be tweaked out ..
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:04 am

Mike,
He also said people were being given details of software so as they could make their own adjustments to their lpg set ups.
He's has had several people in for repair who have tried to make adjustments with disasterous results, so I think i'll just stick to using the experts.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 am

The guy who fitted the LPG to my Toyota is sound guy .. and still in business .. I will get him to service the system and tweak it as required ..

http://www.nationwidelpg.com/

A few pics of my Estima (Previa) in his No3 gallery ..
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 am

Jim the Box wrote:Mike,
He also said people were being given details of software so as they could make their own adjustments to their lpg set ups.
He's has had several people in for repair who have tried to make adjustments with disasterous results, so I think i'll just stick to using the experts.
Reprogramming an ecu isn’t difficult if you understand the information it is telling you, you then look at where your adjustments are taking you………….Simples…………If you don’t understand it ………LEAVE IT ALONE………….. :wink:
To infinity and beyond
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Jim the Box wrote:Yep! it's just a case of him adjusting (with his laptop), the switch-over temp, setting it a few degrees higher to allow for the cold weather at this time of year. He said the sensors can be out + or - a few degrees and need sometimes need to adjusted slightly during cold snaps especially if your lpg has been fitted and set up in the summer.
That's strange,I always thought that the change over from petrol to LPG was controlled by engine temperature not weather temperature.You live and learn. :)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:26 pm

I find in warmer weather .. my engine warms up more quickly than in freezing weather .. and switches over to gas quicker in summer than winter.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:05 am

That's strange,I always thought that the change over from petrol to LPG was controlled by engine temperature not weather temperature.You live and learn. :)[/quote]

Probably correct, the engine temp at switch over will be the same summer or winter, but in the cold weather the lpg may be a few degrees colder at switch over than it would be in the summer this may be the difference.
I seem to get more lpg in my tank in the winter than the summer so the cold must have some kind of affect.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”