Running 25% Oil fine at zero degrees, and 50% at around 4

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Dodgey
Supreme Being

Running 25% Oil fine at zero degrees, and 50% at around 4

Post by Dodgey » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:29 am

Just a report of my recent experiences. Been summer driving at 50% or more with no issues. Thought I'd test winter driving as I had to go to London.

Unmodified 2.5TD. Went to London last week. Outside temp was around 4 degrees. Had half a tank of diesel already, topped up with Rapeseed oil to the max (showing over full) - so pretty close to a 50/50 mix. I did this while the engine was running as a precaution. Once full, after a few minutes the engine briefly dropped rpm when ticking over, but recovered. It kept doing this (as the oil was clearly mixing in with the diesel). I held the throttle down a bit and kept the revs at over 1k so the "dips" could not stall the engine (I'm not sure if they would have anyhow but preferred to be sure). Once the engine reached over 70 degrees (I have a TM2 cylinder head temp monitor) then it was perfectly fine. For those without a TM2 - getting to 70 plus degrees actually takes a good while. I drove about 3 miles through traffic before it reached 80. Mine settles at 88. Once at full temp you'd never know.

Then, on the return from London I topped up from half a tank to full, so now I'm running 25% veg oil. Even at between 4 and zero degrees (got a thermometer!) she starts no problem and runs perfectly. So it seems 25% is fine in the winter, and 50% is ok but only for journeys where you can warm her up properly.

No surprising news, but it's another one for the statistics.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Re: Running 25% Oil fine at zero degrees, and 50% at around

Post by Titan1995 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 am

I run similar sort of percentages all year round.

On Summer runs I use 100% Veg. Runs like a dream.

As posted before I am thinking of using a 120 litre tank trailer. Have to work the pros and cons out on that though. Extra drag and weight against convenience of having the extra fuel.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:08 am

I made an interesting observation the other day. I have some KTC veg oil and some Tesco Sunflower oil in my shed. The temperature was 0 or slightly below. The KTC oil had turned white but the Tesco oil was nice and golden. Made me think. I am on about 12.5% KTC at the moment but only because my fuel guage was playing up and I had more diesel than I thought. car is running fine, smokes a bit on start up and smells tasty.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 am

Nice to see you dump it in the tank and run guys are having no problems in these cold conditions. =D>
To infinity and beyond
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Indeed. Just a little rough idling for 5 seconds or so when it's close to freezing (1-3 degrees) on 50%. Soon settles down.

I've also got a nice re-fuelling system. I bought a cheap plastic funnel from my local tool shop. It's big, and has a bendy flexi-pipe on the end. I've attached a short length of cable to the funnel and the other end has a picture-rail hook attached to it. This hooks over the bongo roof guttering (just above the window line) and hold the funnel upright.

I just "hook on", stuff the funnel in, then pour the oil without having to hold the funnel. The rate it goes in, I'm not sure filling up at the pumps is much faster! :-)
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:01 am

Dont forget tho everyones vehicle will prob be different, some do not like a lot of oil in winter and I would say Sunflower is a def no no for me, just too thick and in depth of winter here would never start, more oil in winter = more drain on battery to start as well, I tend to stick 20 litres in and top up with diesel, any more and with our temps she is really "grumpy" starting on very frosty mornings. It is all a case of whatever works for your vehicle, 25% is prob the perfect mix.
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Just put some Crisp N' Dry in about 20 litres, on special at Asda at the moment.....plus 25 litres of diesel....runs like a dream.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Even on a couple of the warmer days about 10 days ago, I noticed a lack of power going up long hills and a tendency to drop out of lock up because of it.

I put this down at the time to too much KTC (might have been sunflower or veg oil, but definitely KTC. I've bought both recently at £1 a litre). To me it always seems less happy than supermarket own brand rapeseed oil.

If it is not giving the power, it could well be false economy.

Will check out Asda for Crisp 'n' Dry. Used to get that in Wilkinsons for 86p before they realised they were giving away diesel fuel at that price. Nice name, though. It sounds like it should work better, like Esso Extra!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Great thing about the 2litre Crisp & Dry bottles is that you can decant them without the use of a funnel....also worth noting if in a low fuel state and near a supermarket.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”