Mazda Bongo 2.0eco

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

robsproc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Mazda Bongo 2.0eco

Post by robsproc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi All

I'm new on here and am looking into buying a bongo. I was wondering whether there was any difference between the 2.0 petrol that's been mentioned on here previously and the 2.0eco. I was also wondering about an LPG conversion, I understand that you lose a bit of power with an LPG conversion and some have mentioned that the 2.0 is a bit underpowered. Does anyone have any experience of a 2.0 with an LPG conversion or am I better off going for the V6?

This is a great forum, it's been great looking through all the info available on this site.
Getcarter
Bongolier

Re: Mazda Bongo 2.0eco

Post by Getcarter » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 pm

No idea about the eco bit but we have a 2.0 litre converted to gas.

The 2.0 litre is a bit underpowered but you don't really notice the difference if running on petrol or gas. I guess if I ever bought another one I would go for a V6 as the 2.0 litre does struggle a bit fully laden on hills

We have now done 30K miles with LPG and very happy with it. It cost about £1300 to convert

Hope this helps
V6 Tintop with LPG
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 pm

I think there is only one type of 2 litre engine, but certain sellers refer to them as 'Eco'. I recently contacted someone advertising one and he reckoned he got upto 33 MPG out of it which is an improvement compared to the other options, but it's still pretty poor by modern standards. I've driven a 2 litre and found it be a bit less spritely so I would probably find it requires a bit more gas to get it going which would negate any improvement in fuel economy.

Scroll down here for some info regarding power output of each engine:
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 15#p585455
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Not sure about the eco bit as my 2.0 certainly isn't. Been working it oiut recently and it varies between 19 at worst and 22 at best. Not sure if this is normal or not. Bit disappointed to be honest, I thought my diesel was bad.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:02 am

stuc wrote:Not sure about the eco bit as my 2.0 certainly isn't. Been working it oiut recently and it varies between 19 at worst and 22 at best. Not sure if this is normal or not. Bit disappointed to be honest, I thought my diesel was bad.
Same as mine,but i get better than 22mpg on a good m/way run

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
robsproc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by robsproc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 am

Thanks for the info. It's looking like the v6 with lpg conversion is the way to go.
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:14 am

With my V6 on gas I get between 18 and 22 mpg. I filled up yesterday for 64.9p a litre. Costwise, that gives me an average of the equivalent of about 40mpg. For a brick on four wheels with plenty power if you want it, that's got to be the only way to go.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 am

Weebrian, out of interest, how are you calculating the LPG consumption? I've found in the few months I've had mine that different pumps stop at different points when 'full' so for consistancy you would have to go back to the same filling station. Is just a case of noting the mileage when you fill up & then again when the gauge shows empty? Do you factor in the petrol used at start up, or is that taking it all too far :)?
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:05 pm

I admit that different pumps seem to deliver different amounts but I calculate on the number of litres against miles. I tend to ignore the variables but without very expensive accurate gauges it's never going to be an exact science.
As for petrol, that's quite a minor expense as my van changes to LPG at about a mile and perhaps a few hundred yards further on a really cold day.
Even at the worst scenario, I'll be getting the equivalent of 37 or 38 mpg which I'm more than satisfied with. As long as the back street garage that I get most of my gas from keeps selling at 8-10p less than the cheapest local filling station I'll be happy.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Ok - that makes sense - thanks :)

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”