We seem to have achieved 36mpg.....

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

We seem to have achieved 36mpg.....

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:07 am

Trish and me decided to take it easy travelling to the Bash so kept to 55mph on the motorway (there seemed no problem doing that!). Even with the off motorway bits and 3 days urban commuting, we seem to have achieved 36 mpg. No alternator (it had blown) creating back emf and not using aircon etc in consequence may have helped, but even so......I'd always wondered what mpg a 2wd Bongo might give at its best. Must keep the speed down in future! :-)
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Re: We seem to have achieved 36mpg.....

Post by roosmith » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:47 am

Were you also being towed for half of it?!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:16 pm

roosmith wrote:Were you also being towed for half of it?!
:lol: :lol: =D> =D> [-X [-X 8)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:23 pm

Thats really great MPG. I have yet to calculate mine as yet on a good run. Seems pretty decent though. I tend to not go more than 60 so should be getting 30mpg at least. Like the aircon on No.1 though.

I have been adding Millers Diesel Power Ecomax since I have had the vehicle. In due course will try runs with and without it. It is not very expensive and is supposed to keep injectors nice and clean.

http://www.emotorspares.co.uk/millers-o ... 0241-p.asp
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:35 pm

Splendid Mike. =D>
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:55 pm

not surprised Mike.... easy does it can pay off.... just done the TDF weekend.... slogged it up to Boroughbridge on Friday with tons of traffic mostly running at 60-70 mph..... Saturday the slog across to Leyburn with the inevitable queues and fans on engine....70 mph run back today so not pussy footing about..... brimmed up when back as brimmed at home before I left.... 30.06 mpg.... happy as I was slogging it along... now if I had poodled at 55 ish?????? :idea:
All calculated with BongoMpg calculator... :wink:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:19 pm

mikexgough wrote:not surprised Mike.... easy does it can pay off.... just done the TDF weekend.... slogged it up to Boroughbridge on Friday with tons of traffic mostly running at 60-70 mph..... Saturday the slog across to Leyburn with the inevitable queues and fans on engine....70 mph run back today so not pussy footing about..... brimmed up when back as brimmed at home before I left.... 30.06 mpg.... happy as I was slogging it along... now if I had poodled at 55 ish?????? :idea:
All calculated with BongoMpg calculator... :wink:
Amazing thing is there was some urban commuting plus the non motorway bit of the Bash journey in that result. Lots of dead flat M6 too mind you, but it does go to show...what a Bongo can do. Very encouraging :-)
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:47 pm

I achieved approx 33mpg in 4wd auto diesel but I was so desperately desperately skint I had to drive like an old lady on tranquilizers
Partick Monkey
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Partick Monkey » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Did a monster slog from Stalham Norfolk to Glasgow in my 98 2.5 4WD diesel yesterday. Brimmed it in Stalham and got as far as Kirkby Thore filling station on the A66 with still a quarter of a tank left. My mileage told me I had done 299 miles to there and when I brimmed it again I'd only used 39 litres! I worked that out to be around 35 miles to the gallon!? I had 3 passengers in the van and a decent amount of luggage and left over beer from the stag do...
The traffic was pretty slow most of the way but I'm still quite astonished I managed such good economy.
Also when I brimmed it at the start of the journey, I had put 10 litres of Rapeseed Oil in there with the diesel. Don't know how much that affects the fuel economy...?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:00 pm

Well this is getting ridiculous. I decided to do further tests so did a brim2brim test on an almost all motorway run from Sale, Manchester to Sutton Bank near Thirsk. I kept to no more than 60mph apart from one or two short bursts, and I also had to climb the 1:4 hill at Sutton Bank. I did 215 miles and the top up took 24.35 litres. That comes out at just over 40mpg. I suspect that if I'd had my 17" wheels on I might have done 2mpg better than that. I do have a throttle lock type cruise control that helps keep pedal pressures light but still, the figures are really impressive. What a car!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:55 am

Hi
Mike...
Fit water injection...when you need a boost, it will give power, and the extra will come from water and methanol....cheaper than diesel....but check with your insurers...Lots of commercial trucks use it!....and the engine runs smooth as a turbine!...and it lowers temperatures!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:12 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike...
Fit water injection...when you need a boost, it will give power, and the extra will come from water and methanol....cheaper than diesel....but check with your insurers...Lots of commercial trucks use it!....and the engine runs smooth as a turbine!...and it lowers temperatures!
Cheers
Helen
I love the idea, but not the idea of more gadgetry to maintain. I used to love all that but age and lack of spare time are now conspiring against me. In the end, I adjust my travelling to my budget and even without this spectacular mpg, there's no way I'd be selling the Bongo :-)

I'm going to have to tackle rusty arches soon mind you.....
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi
Mike
Repair them with "lead-loading"...it'll last as long as you need...I seem to remember yours were only a small amount of rot, compatible with "leading"
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:23 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike
Repair them with "lead-loading"...it'll last as long as you need...I seem to remember yours were only a small amount of rot, compatible with "leading"
Cheers
Helen
I've not found anyone who does that, and they are worsening. I have a budget plan though, but it may not work. Will post if/when it does.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi Mike
Do it yourself!...If you can follow the instructions, and you're O.K. with a blowlamp, I can send you details of where to buy the kit!
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”