We seem to have achieved 36mpg.....

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: We seem to have achieved 36mpg.....

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:33 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi Mike
Do it yourself!...If you can follow the instructions, and you're O.K. with a blowlamp, I can send you details of where to buy the kit!
Cheers
Helen
Excellent. Mind you, I just bought the stuff for doing it without lead!
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:52 pm

Time, I think to ask my usual question: "What's a mile, what's a gallon?"

Weren't we supposed to be going metric from the early 1970s?

I blame this obsession with MPG on all those european cars with built in computers.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Diplomat wrote:Time, I think to ask my usual question: "What's a mile, what's a gallon?"

Weren't we supposed to be going metric from the early 1970s?

I blame this obsession with MPG on all those european cars with built in computers.

Frank
=D> =D> :lol: :lol: 8)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Do it yourself!.
..If you can follow the instructions, and you're O.K. with a blowlamp, I can send you details of where to buy the kit!
Cheers
Helen

Yip do it your self Mike, its very easy to do (piece of cake), a monkey with a nut allergy could do it.

:D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 am

teenmal wrote:
Do it yourself!.
..If you can follow the instructions, and you're O.K. with a blowlamp, I can send you details of where to buy the kit!
Cheers
Helen

Yip do it your self Mike, its very easy to do (piece of cake), a monkey with a nut allergy could do it.

Ok I'll wait to get Helen's instructions :-)
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:49 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike...
Fit water injection...when you need a boost, it will give power, and the extra will come from water and methanol....cheaper than diesel....but check with your insurers...Lots of commercial trucks use it!....and the engine runs smooth as a turbine!...and it lowers temperatures!
Cheers
Helen
Time to spill the beans Helen, does the methanol fumigation improve MPG at the rate you inject it? :wink:
To infinity and beyond
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:54 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
teenmal wrote:
Do it yourself!.
Cheers
Helen

Ok I'll wait to get Helen's instructions :-)
Lead wiping is easy Mike........... :^o ..........The scars from blisters i had from wiping 4" lead pipes have long gone. :shock: :shock: :shock:
To infinity and beyond
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:27 am

Hi
Mike...
Let me dig out the link later this morning....
Mel...
I'm currently working on the water injection, as my kit was missing a jet, so I'm using one rated at 350 ml/min, and I've just written (yesterday) to a company in USA to get some more jets sent.
In theory, it does improve MPG, as there is a company in the UK who does their own kits , and they claim improved MPG, however, the tendency with me at the moment is to put my foot down to see how the unit aids performance and check what the temperatures are doing in the inlet manifold, the exhaust, and the coolant. Over here , the patch where I "test run" the water kit is relatively short, and I need to get a longer run, , but so far, when I run the water unit, it drops the inlet by a hell of a percentage, and I'm sure it's dropping the exhaust temperature, but the way the reading spools up and down as the turbo spins, it's hard to keep tabs....Also, the coolant temperature seems to drop a bit, but I need a test at prolonged turbo boost to check the head temperatures, which obviously lag behind the coolant drop.
When all's said and done, I can only say that the measurable temperature decreases , in theory, MUST decrease fuel consumption at the points when the engine is heavily loaded, and it's at those points that the fuel is really "dumped" in on a diesel, witnessed by the tell-tale puff of black smoke if you haven't been thrashing the engine enough!....So....as soon as I can re-jet , I'll try to get some realistic figures.
As you know, I'm still considering Nitrous Oxide injection, which, in theory, will also aid charge cooling, and I'll use that as an instant boost from standstill up until, say, 4-6 PSI boost, thereafter switching off and cutting the water /meth injection in, and I reckon that'll really put the cat among the pigeons!.....
Anyway, I'm just awaiting the reply from USA, then I'll order the jets!...MPG figures later!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi Mike
Here's the supplier of lead-loading kits:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Basic-Lead-Lo ... 3cdb61bf25
It's only soldering and filing. If there is any problem, ask away, but the instructions are in the kit, and it's straightforward .
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:30 pm

It's only soldering and filing. If there is any problem, ask away, but the instructions are in the kit, and it's straightforward .
Cheers
Helen
Interesting and cheap but assuming you have to melt the lead into the gaps, aren't there lots of issues: waxoyl in wheel arches melting out and maybe catching fire; heat on body panels warping them, to name but two. I think this is a skilled job and not for me. I have other plans which, if they work, I'll write up on here ;-)
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Mike
If you are going tot the Flookborough Steam Fair next week there is a guy there who demos and sells all the kit. Looks reasonably straight forward buty I take the point about waxoyl catching fire.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:27 am

briwy wrote:Mike
If you are going tot the Flookborough Steam Fair next week there is a guy there who demos and sells all the kit. Looks reasonably straight forward buty I take the point about waxoyl catching fire.
Good tip - hoping to get there :-)
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:34 am

Me too
To infinity and beyond
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:34 am

And me................. :lol: :lol: :lol:
To infinity and beyond
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:14 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
Cheers
Helen
Interesting and cheap but assuming you have to melt the lead into the gaps, aren't there lots of issues: waxoyl in wheel arches melting out and maybe catching fire; heat on body panels warping them, to name but two. I think this is a skilled job and not for me. I have other plans which, if they work, I'll write up on here ;-)

Aw shucks Mike, I was hoping that you would do a fact sheet with pics. Might be a wise decision not to do it as Too much lead/solder will affect your 36MPG.

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”