We seem to have achieved 36mpg.....

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: We seem to have achieved 36mpg.....

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:24 pm

teenmal wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
helen&tony wrote:Hi Mike
Here's the supplier of lead-loading kits:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Basic-Lead-Lo ... 3cdb61bf25
It's only soldering and filing. If there is any problem, ask away, but the instructions are in the kit, and it's straightforward .
Cheers
Helen
Interesting and cheap but assuming you have to melt the lead into the gaps, aren't there lots of issues: waxoyl in wheel arches melting out and maybe catching fire; heat on body panels warping them, to name but two. I think this is a skilled job and not for me. I have other plans which, if they work, I'll write up on here ;-)

Aw shucks Mike, I was hoping that you would do a fact sheet with pics. Might be a wise decision not to do it as Too much lead/solder will affect your 36MPG.

:lol: :lol:
40mpg IF YOU PLEASE :lol:

I'm hoping that by removing metal and substituting fibreglass, I might increase that number still further :lol:

On a serious note, I'm surprised nobody has expressed incredulity at the mpg figure. Years back, BF member Torchwood went to extreme lengths to achieve that figure - it seems he might not have needed to do anything more than keep the speed down :roll:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:07 pm

I would imagine that you get a lot more MPG with your glider....

Miles

Per

Gust.

:lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:18 pm

teenmal wrote:I would imagine that you get a lot more MPG with your glider....

Miles

Per

Gust.

:lol:
I was gliding in Yorkshire this week when the aircraft were clears back because an ASW22 (26m of waggly wingspan) was landing. The glide angle on this beastie is 62:1, which is impressive to say the least!
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:04 pm

I would be interested if adding some Millers Diesel Ecomax would further improve your MPG figure. I add it to every tank and think it is worthwhile.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:15 pm

I confirm I got approx 36-38 mpg on a recent journey and that included a traffic jam and detour. 50-53mph is the Bongo eco hot spot ! I will present figures when recovered and brain working better.

Basically £32.50 diesel 215 miles.

I got in at 4am last night. Went to Wales and Bristol. The Bongo was great in Wales.. went to scenic places other motor homes would never even fit.. with 2.2 meter width restrictions. Went over some Beautiful scenic bridges in the beacons. The Diesel made the hills easy, even though my temp alarm rang out a few times on long mountainous inclines. A real test drive !
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:24 pm

£32.50 / £1.29 litre = 25.193L = 5.54 Gallons

215 miles / 5.54 = 38.8 mpg

That was with 2 people on board and about 20kgs of bedding etc. in there 7L of water in tank.

Did the fill it to the brim technique. Very pleased with that, had a double dose of Millers Power eco max (as is suggested on the package to increase power as well, raises cetane level) equivalent to £2.00 in value. Typically I use only the single dose which gives 10 tanks per bottle but being a long run thought I would put 2 doses in. Had aircon on for 1 hour of the journey. 1 stop and horrendous M4 1 hour tailback, gave up at Swindon and used a compass to get us off towards the west missing the rest of the blockages. I knew satnav would be forevere trying to get us back on to the M4 locally.

In theory should be able to hit 40mpg with no aircon and no traffic problems. Though frankly it is really important having aircon as Bongo is not exactly a cool vehicle inside. Though being fair it has been exceptionally mild of late for being autumn.

I have started accelerating slightly slower than I normally would and this makes a massive difference when stop starting. So much is to do with driving style as well, reading the road etc.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:34 pm

I wonder what the MPG would be using 100% .........Millers Diesel Power Ecomax .

:roll:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:13 pm

I sense your skepticism it is effective. That's fine rita, healthy skepticism is a good thing. Only takes £9.49 to find out. I have run about 2 bottles through it now since ownership, it may have had cumulative benefits cleansing fuel system. In my case it has helped but it is a lot to do with driving style.

Given we are driving the same vehicles I cannot see how it would not help others as well.

I just wish to share my own findings, everyone makes their own choices as it should be. 8)

It's effects are well documented online.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:57 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:I sense your skepticism it is effective. That's fine rita, healthy skepticism is a good thing. Only takes £9.49 to find out. I have run about 2 bottles through it now since ownership, it may have had cumulative benefits cleansing fuel system. In my case it has helped but it is a lot to do with driving style.

Given we are driving the same vehicles I cannot see how it would not help others as well.

I just wish to share my own findings, everyone makes their own choices as it should be. 8)

It's effects are well documented online.
Ignore Rita, well known for a dry sense of humour, but knows his/her stuff (though I've no idea who he/she is). You know, and I know, that 40mpg is not pie in the sky. Very useful to have you post about it so others can go for max fuel economy if they wish :-)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Great to see the High MPG guys sticking together keep it up its very encouraging to other people.

I can see The Miles High Club starting soon.

Well done =D> =D> =D> =D>
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:49 am

It has it's down sides i.e. getting in at 4am instead of 3am and thats quite a difference in my mind I am still cream crackered having worked all day as well and up early today. Only live once I guess.

Pretty sure Millers gives a power boost and makes engine seems smoother should you want/need to put the foot down, Bongo drove like dream in Welsh mountains (and went places where those box shape Talbots could never get to). It could be in the mind but especially colder starts seem smoother less of that pinking noise you get when a diesel is cold. It is not excessive in any event but it seems to run smoother. I imagine increased cetane helps with easier and slightly more explosive piston firing.

My Bongo has relatively low mileage for it's year thats goes in it's favour as well about 88K miles which is just about worn in for a diesel.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”