A learning experience on Veg oil

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Idris
Bongonaut

A learning experience on Veg oil

Post by Idris » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:24 pm

I've run all my previous diesel vehicles on veg with various conversions and straight depending on the beast.

Having just bought a Bongo and not having time to create a twin tank system before returning Home to France I thought I'd just mix it in with the Derv and off I go

1. Don't belive the tank is clean - killed the origional filter in about 200 miles - replaced that with the largest inline one that Halfords do (about twice the size of the bongo one) - that clogged after 400 miles or so

2. Don't belive that a coarse filter will make do till you get home - unlike the far more complex and sofisticated 5 cylinder VW TDI engine the Bongo lump should be far more tollerant of a bit of muck - no it has a hidden achillies heal, the dreaded banjo filter - I've had mine out twice in the last 1000 miles, first to descover there was nothing wrong with it, 2nd once I had done not very many miles (probably 100) on the coarse filter to find it very clogged - a dousing in brake cleaner solved that

I will be spending the time putting a seccond tank in, heat exchanger and heated filter for the cold and a set of changover valves - with 2 tanks and probably 3 filters I can always switch over to get home.
www.idriskis.com eco friendly skis
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: A learning experience on Veg oil

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Weird :shock: - neither of my Bongos had any problems with just bunging the oil in the normal fuel tank and running on at least a 50% mix, with a 90% plus mix on long journeys :? Sounds like your fuel system was really filthy, which I've never heard of before :? I assume you were using new cooking oil :?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Idris
Bongonaut

Post by Idris » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:56 pm

francophile1947 wrote:Weird :shock: - neither of my Bongos had any problems with just bunging the oil in the normal fuel tank and running on at least a 50% mix, with a 90% plus mix on long journeys :? Sounds like your fuel system was really filthy, which I've never heard of before :? I assume you were using new cooking oil :?
Used oil, but filtered to 1 micron - never gave any issues in the T4
www.idriskis.com eco friendly skis
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Idris wrote:
francophile1947 wrote:Weird :shock: - neither of my Bongos had any problems with just bunging the oil in the normal fuel tank and running on at least a 50% mix, with a 90% plus mix on long journeys :? Sounds like your fuel system was really filthy, which I've never heard of before :? I assume you were using new cooking oil :?
One microns small I would have thought that would have been fine?
I keep looking at veg but never done it yet
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Idris wrote:
Mine was also used oil but not filtered that fine - I just put it through those plastic filters found in filter coffee machines, after leaving the oil to settle for a month. It really does sound as if your fuel system was filthy, as mine went for thousands of miles before fuel filter needed changing :?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:34 am

Veg oil does tend to loosen a lot of deposits in the tank and pipework. It may also hasten the need to replace the rubber fuel lines as they start to deteriorate.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:00 am

Simon Jones wrote:... It may also hasten the need to replace the rubber fuel lines as they start to deteriorate.
Damn. Another thing to worry about!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:13 pm

For the stats, add me to the list of 50-80% new rapeseed oil with zero filter or banjo issues. I've used about 500 Litres of veg oil so far.

I took the banjo out during a regular service and it was spotless.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Same as Dodgey.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:28 am

philpdr wrote:Same as Dodgey.
Me too. Never had a problem with fresh rapeseed oil @ 25%
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 am

Simon Jones wrote:Veg oil does tend to loosen a lot of deposits in the tank and pipework. It may also hasten the need to replace the rubber fuel lines as they start to deteriorate.

That would be a good indication that the tank and pipe work need a good clean.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Weird I have never had a problem in 12 years with rapeseed or sunflower. Changed the fuel filter a couple of times but that's all.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:59 pm

David Edwards wrote:Weird I have never had a problem in 12 years with rapeseed or sunflower. Changed the fuel filter a couple of times but that's all.

Exactly, that would indicate that you have/had a clean fuel tank and you use clean fuel.
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:36 pm

ive used wvo for years ...on a twin tank kit..blocked filters..and a few bits of pipe as it makes fuel lines go squishy in time.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:50 am

chipvan wrote:ive used wvo for years ...on a twin tank kit..blocked filters..and a few bits of pipe as it makes fuel lines go squishy in time.

When you are using waste oil you don't know exactly what you are putting in your tank....IE

Vinegar/salt/sauce/etc etc etc ......

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”