repeatedly blocked banjo on WVO..

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

cookan
Bongolier

repeatedly blocked banjo on WVO..

Post by cookan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:58 am

Hi guys,
I'm getting repeated blockages in my banjo filter running on 50% WVO. It's only started to happen recently having had no trouble for 6 months. Symptons are a [more] lumpy start and lack of power and this seems to occur about 150-200 miles after cleaning the banjo. Today I checked the banjo again (150 miles since last problem) whilst doing the power steering fluid and although there were dirty bits in the filter, it looked relatively clear..however I found when I blew through the banjo, it 'popped' as it cleared and there was a visible clear patch in the base of the banjo...this also happened the last time. I then clean the thing out with a cotton wool bud and find brown'ish bits that feel almost fibre like...but the real blockage seems to be translucent/waxy..

any thought on cause ? To be honest I haven't changed the filters (down to 10 micron) on my storage tamp/pump system for a while but figured that would just make it more difficult to pump my WVO through rather than introduce crud..

I drive the bongo daily on short journeys, no heated conversion for veg oil...it's never sitting unused for long periods.

I'm thinking of putting a transparent inline filter between the primary filter in the car and the injection pump to make it more obvious when there's a build up so if anyone could point me at a suitable one that'd be great (I've seem some that are for classic cars suitable for low pressure and imagine that'd be ok for the bongo given it's before the IP and so negative pressure I assume ?)

thanks,
Ant.
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: repeatedly blocked banjo on WVO..

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:25 pm

The guys on the TEOC (Toyota) forum tend to use these type of filters if using WVO ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260732133849? ... 1497.l2649
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Your best bet is to take the lid Off the tank, blow back (flush)the suction line, completely clean out the tank and filter, replace and clean the rest of the filters, fill with fresh CLEAN fuel. Your problem should be solved.

And you should be :D
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:01 pm

thank Rita/mike

I've already removed the tank pickup and cleaned the in-tank strainer. Haven't had a convenient point with an empty tank to clean the tank itself yet tho so I guess there maybe something coming up from the tank but i'd have expected the primary filter to stop that. The problem seemed to start with my last fuel filter change...so I changed the fuel filter again for a different brand....other thought was that I'd dislodged crud from the surface of the fuel filter housing (as I didn't eye ball the housing before screwing the new filter on) but would have expected problems caused by that to have diminished by now...

been running happily on WVO since sept, all the way through winter with 50/50....still runs fine, just keeps blocking the banjo...I'm going to fit an inline filter as above once I've sourced some fuel hose (hope to find some Veg oil specific fuel hose in the right diam) so we'll see what crud it catches..

cheers,
Ant.
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
Paulinwales
Bongolier

Post by Paulinwales » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Yep does that. I did use an inline filter from ebay cheap and better. Best use a cloth and bud to really screw out the gauze. I always vacuum the hole also incase of and escaping bits falling in.

I believe there is a veg soluble varnish that precipitates in fossil oil coating various metals

Mine needs a clean every 6 months and done 60,000 miles on wvo mix.
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:14 pm

cheers mate, I think (fingers crossed) that I'm clear now. I'd been throwing the tins of WVO in my storage tank the day I got them thinking it didn't matter as it was feeding in through the bottom of the tank and I was drawing settled oil off the top but I have since changed my process after draining off Water then Sludge amounting to 20L from the base of the tank last month ! I now let the tins settle for 1 month before adding to my storage tank and I've turned the tap right down so it feeds in very slowly into the bottom of the tank so as not to disturb the settled oil above it. It's coming out much cleaner now through the filter system before I pour it into the van and I've not seen problems since so I think it was just too much precipitated duck fat !

Ant.
Paulinwales
Bongolier

Post by Paulinwales » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:15 am

My process

Get oil let settle for a few days

Decant cleanish oil into 1 micro filters 4 in top of oil drum 200l one from garage

leave a week

Pump into barrels with hand pump . Premixed with diesel to 50 50 or what you desire. This thins

leave settle a week. Use a 12v fuel pump to decant top 3/4 fuel into van last 3rd put through filters again.

keep going wuth this having 100l in cans at any one time.
clean filters when performance drops. About every 6 months. Start and end of season usually.

Hope that helps. Might sound alot but takes no more tome than waiting at fuel station really.
Paul
Idris
Bongonaut

Post by Idris » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Replace your fuel lines, they are falling apart on the inside - also change your fuel fliter - it should be much finer than the banjo filter, If stuff is getting through it you have a problem. Then just chuck your banjo filter in the bin - Mine runs so much better without it ;)
www.idriskis.com eco friendly skis
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:32 pm

settle out your oil for longer,than draw off the top but go down to 1 micron 10 is not quite small enough for wvo.

do you boil off the water from your wvo?

i settle for 1 month b4 using

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”