Bongo Fury Neweletter - Diesel Vehicles- Politics

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Fury Neweletter - Diesel Vehicles- Politics

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:08 am

Hi
Scanner...
I don't think for a minute that diesels will be banned...as I said, it's a measure to introduce more tax on good ol' Mr U.K. car-owner...and Germany wouldn't want to lose car sales, diesels being very popular on the Continent . Pollution is another matter...Diesels produce a lot of nitrogen-based toxins, so they do pollute, and not all the fuel is burned efficiently. I agree about petrol, though, it's a nasty , aggressive toxin....My view is that we should go electric, ....there's plenty of technology out there....I even have an electric conversion for the Bongo eyed up!....made in Canada!!!!!
BUT....I think i'd miss the endearing tones of a lovely 7-litre V8 if we moved electrically.... :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:19 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Scanner...
I don't think for a minute that diesels will be banned...as I said, it's a measure to introduce more tax on good ol' Mr U.K. car-owner...and Germany wouldn't want to lose car sales, diesels being very popular on the Continent . Pollution is another matter...Diesels produce a lot of nitrogen-based toxins, so they do pollute, and not all the fuel is burned efficiently. I agree about petrol, though, it's a nasty , aggressive toxin....My view is that we should go electric, ....there's plenty of technology out there....I even have an electric conversion for the Bongo eyed up!....made in Canada!!!!!
BUT....I think i'd miss the endearing tones of a lovely 7-litre V8 if we moved electrically.... :lol:
Cheers
Helen
ALL internal combustion engines pollute, they just pollute differently.
Petrol pollution deaths are proven, definite and instant - petrol fumes will kill you dead - very very quickly.

And as former workmate can tell you, if a petrol car crashes you can die very, very quickly and horribly - he lost both his children in a car fire when the fuel pump cut off DIDN'T work and emptied the fuel tank into the engine compartment.

Diesel MIGHT have caught fire - the petrol exploded.

Diesel fumes are just alleged to kill people very slowly, I don't think there is a single proven case of someone dying ONLY or SOLELY from diesel emissions.

I would no longer have a petrol car as a gift.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:40 am

Scanner...
Cheers
Helen
What's the conversion Helen, have you got a link?
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:56 am

Hi
It's a socking great leccy motor for a Ford Ranger....Let me look and I'll see if I still have it!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi
As I thought, I deleted it from Favourites last week....BUT....I think this may have been the firm: http://www.canev.com/rangerConversion.php I was originally looking for adapter-plates to fit a V8 engine to a Ranger (namely the Bongo) a few years back, and the project never happened for a number of reasons.......BUT when looking for adapter plates, up came the electric conversion....I certainly think it's worth a try...it would make a neat project.
Maybe I'll think some more!
Cheers
Helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi
Yep...that's the one £3800.00 or thereabouts, plus options, and the batteries are extra
Cheers
Helen
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:26 pm

Right that's loaded into my favourites as something to burn my lottery winnings on :)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi Roo
Yep...that's what I thought... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I actually deleted it t'other day, though, as I thought of having a computer housework day....lasted a whole 10 minutes, and I only deleted a few! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Neat project, though, isn't it!
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:17 am

I'd be more excited by an affordable retrofitable regenerative braking system. 2 tons of Bongo wastes a lot of energy slowing down then speeding up again. :roll:

Something connected to the propshaft ought to do it. And a compressor and bottle might be an interesting alternative to electric.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14 am

As I thought, I deleted it from Favourites last week....BUT....I think this may have been the firm: http://www.canev.com/rangerConversion.php I was originally looking for adapter-plates to fit a V8 engine to a Ranger (namely the Bongo) a few years back, and the project never happened for a number of reasons.......BUT when looking for adapter plates, up came the electric conversion....I certainly think it's worth a try...it would make a neat project.
Cheers
Helen
Only trouble is - that is the wrong Ranger. That is the "Americas" Ford designed/made one not the "International" Mazda designed/built one.

There was (until 2012) 2 very different "Ford" Rangers ranges - a Ford "Ford" and a Mazda "Ford" only the latter is still in production.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 am

mikeonb4c wrote:I'd be more excited by an affordable retrofitable regenerative braking system. 2 tons of Bongo wastes a lot of energy slowing down then speeding up again. :roll:

Something connected to the propshaft ought to do it. And a compressor and bottle might be an interesting alternative to electric.
A lot of the electric conversions include regenerative charging on braking but I realise you mean for the original oil burner.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:41 am

scanner wrote:
Cheers
Helen
Only trouble is - that is the wrong Ranger. That is the "Americas" Ford designed/made one not the "International" Mazda designed/built one.

There was (until 2012) 2 very different "Ford" Rangers ranges - a Ford "Ford" and a Mazda "Ford" only the latter is still in production.
Hi

From memory, I THINK they were offering one for "our" type Mazda/ Ford at one time...I had that on favourites for a couple of years....it MIGHT be worth giving them a call???
Cheers
Helen
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:56 pm

Helen -

"BUT....I think i'd miss the endearing tones of a lovely 7-litre V8 if we moved electrically.... :lol:"

I think I can help you. There is a guy I know in Germany who makes sound modules for models. All you need is one of those linked to the throttle, a second hand car amp off fleabay and a couple of big plastic coned speakers. Oh, and a few electronic components (nothing complicated)

http://www.benedini.de

I've used a few of these and they work well. If you buy the right one they are fully programmable. I have a small library of sounds for various vehicles - Rolls Royce B81, some tank sounds (sampled from the real vehicles), diesel engines etc but he has a huge range including the Merlin and some big V8's.

In case you think I'm mad I can confirm this by saying I've actually done it - a few years ago when I was working at Muckleburgh and we had nothing to do for a couple of days because we couldn't work in the rain. My old Renault Laguna finished up sounding like an AC Cobra and the looks it got were wonderful.
I had to take it off because the speakers were getting soggy!

Peter
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:08 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:I'd be more excited by an affordable retrofitable regenerative braking system. 2 tons of Bongo wastes a lot of energy slowing down then speeding up again. :roll:

Coming to the forecourt soon....... http://www.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/en/a ... d-gasoline Very soon.... :wink:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:01 pm

mikexgough wrote:

Coming to the forecourt soon....... http://www.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/en/a ... d-gasoline Very soon.... :wink:
Truly amazing Mike! This is an idea I had in 1970 and I always believed it had mileage. Something you could retrofit to heavier vehicles doing stop start journeys or working in hilly country, could be of real value and have huge market potential :roll:

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”