Twin tank conversion kits

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Wotsits1984
Apprentice Bongonaut

Twin tank conversion kits

Post by Wotsits1984 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Hey all.

I'm new here having just bought a bongo. Love the van but it does drink juice. Really interested in installing a twin tank system for veg oil. The DieselVeg site (ATG reseller) seems to suggest they've gone under and other sites listed on directories appear defunct. Are there any other recommended kits out there which can currently be obtained? I've seen 2toc but not read much about them.

Thanks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Twin tank conversion kits

Post by teenmal » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:16 pm

You could give..... chipvan.... a shout, he is a bit of an expert when it comes to the cooking oil.

Might also be worth contacting ..... mikeonb4c .... he can get 36MPG from his 2.5td vehicle.

Good Luck.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:29 pm

You'll find quite a few of us just run a mix of veg oil and diesel (% depending on the time of year and length of journey) with great success. Of course there are kits around, do a search of this forum and you'll find discussions on the topic.

That all being said, I don't think 25-30mpg for a 2 tonne 20 year old lump of a van is too bad?!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mickc
Bongonaut

Post by mickc » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:09 pm

Just found this so I thought I would add my comments if it will help.

I run 25% NVO in winter and 75-80% in summer. I have a 2toc 100w wrap-around heater pad on my fuel filter which I switch on 10 mins before start up and I run the engine on tickover for a couple of minutes before departure.

Never a problem summer or winter, no smoking or misfiring although when getting a bit low towards the end of a journey I'll put 20l or so of diesel in the tank to give a diesel-rich start-up but not essential in my opinion.

I think the most important thing is to let the engine warm up on tickover for a few minutes before departure so that the glowplugs can do their job, I also add 100ml of 2 stroke oil and 50ml of diesel treatment to each 20l drum of veg oil.

I buy my veg oil (KTC) from Bookers cash & carry, last lot was £64.70 for 100l with staff discount.
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi,been using a kit for over 7 years .they are OK but just taken it out,
Insurance company's bump up the price
You will have to top up small tank every 3 days
If as man comes to you,or take it to a garage in that matter they won't have a clue
You will get some troubles when your are learning about the best ways to plumb it up

We left in our coolant heat exchanger that is put just before the fuel filter,that way if we go on a long trip on veg let it warm up,add veg oil drive to your destination then top up with diesel.that way we have best of both worlds

So if your thinking of going for it weigh it all up,how many short trips do you do? Can you get oil cheap or waste oil free??

This method suits us better now,

If you want any help with islet me know.trick is keep it simple!
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:07 pm

If using new oil just mix,you can premix then pur in if you want to be a bit more accurate,or control the %

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”