converting 4 wheel drive to 2wheel

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

bonglets
Bongonaut

converting 4 wheel drive to 2wheel

Post by bonglets » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi,
Just picked our bongo up from mechanic, been having coolant alarm/clock and new radio fitted. While chatting about bongo's in general and our plans to use ours in France he said we might want to consider converting it frim a 4 wheel to 2 wheel for better fuel economy. He said it is a quick job, and as we dont really need 4 WD it seems to make sense. Just wondering if anybody has done this, does it improve consumption much also will it increase insurance because it has been modified or do we just need to notify them of it.

Thanks,
Liz

99 white over Silver Bongo Freetop 2.5 tdc, full side conversion.....let the adventures begin!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: converting 4 wheel drive to 2wheel

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:19 pm

Barely noticeable difference in consumption, 2mpg at the most, you could achieve that by just going steadier.

We did 4,600 miles in our 4WD last August, through France, Spain & Portugal. If it's right there's no sense in changing it :wink:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:04 pm

I doubt you will recover the cost of the work as you will still be carrying the weight of most of the 4wd system, and one day you will be grateful for it.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Agree with Bob and Muz. Unless there is a problem with the 4wd system keep it connected. They are more desirable and if you do any serious camping you will need it. Even at events with a muddy field as a car park it will worth it for churned up gateways.

Most newer Bongos are petrol so 2wd and so much less useful in the really rough stuff. Mine is a petrol but has the Limited Slip rear axle which makes it more able. But I would love to have a proper 4wd for snow and really horrible mud.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
bonglets
Bongonaut

Post by bonglets » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks for the replies staying with 4WD seems to be best option then.

99 white over Silver Bongo Freetop 2.5 tdc, full side conversion.....let the adventures begin!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:02 pm

That's what I would do, Liz. 8)
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:08 pm

I toured with a certain person, their bongo was 2WD mine 4WD we did over 1000 miles and always filled up at the same time. hardly any difference. However mine got off wet fields easy.
Always be ready for a Top Up!
Idris
Bongonaut

Post by Idris » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:42 pm

I live in France and I am so glad that I bought a 4wd Bongo - it keeps going in winter when most everything else has ground to a halt.

Granted I am using snow tyres but I can make progress when 2wd's (of any make) with snowtyres and chains can go no further ;)
www.idriskis.com eco friendly skis

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”