For the fuel economy interested...

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

For the fuel economy interested...

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:05 pm

I caught the back end of watchdog last night and saw they were talking about doing high mileage with reduced fuel consumption might be of interested to Bongo'ers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... ypermiling
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: For the fuel economy interested...

Post by Gasy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:31 pm

I don't beleave a word they say
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:00 pm

I also caught the end of the programme. All the points mentioned are pretty standard stuff i.e. don't carry excess weight, avoid sharp acceleration/braking etc. Proper 'hypermiling' involves doing things which are not necessarily following the rules as laid down in the Highway Code such as coasting in neutral or switching the engine off going down hill.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Simon Jones wrote:I also caught the end of the programme. All the points mentioned are pretty standard stuff i.e. don't carry excess weight, avoid sharp acceleration/braking etc. Proper 'hypermiling' involves doing things which are not necessarily following the rules as laid down in the Highway Code such as coasting in neutral or switching the engine off going down hill.

A bit Dodgy with an automatic, if the engine does not start you will run out of vacuum for the brakes.

#-o
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Oh sure some of it ridiculous like removing the interior but I suppose it adds a little interest to a possibly not so interesting subject matter (for me I am very interested in saving fuel and environment). And I would never roll in neutral or turn the engine off, that would be madness.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:16 pm

Agree it would be very risky on an auto to stick in neutral or switch the engine off as that will starve the transmission of lubrication. Most modern common rail diesels (not the Bongo) switch off the injectors on the overrun so will use no fuel as opposed to slipping into neutral which will leave the engine running.

I find on my Volvo I can get 49 MPG just by driving reasonably sensibly and to honest on my commute, there is limited opportunity to get to the speed limit. This was about my best by sticking to 50 mph as I was running on a temporary spare.

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:14 pm

That is very good going.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Agree it would be very risky on an auto to stick in neutral or switch the engine off as that will starve the transmission of lubrication. Most modern common rail diesels (not the Bongo) switch off the injectors on the overrun so will use no fuel as opposed to slipping into neutral which will leave the engine running.

I find on my Volvo I can get 49 MPG just by driving reasonably sensibly and to honest on my commute, there is limited opportunity to get to the speed limit. This was about my best by sticking to 50 mph as I was running on a temporary spare.

Why would it be so.... :?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:14 pm

The OTHER point about SWITCHING the Engine OFF is You wont have any Power Steering, the point of the auto box lubrication problem is a bit out of the box "excuse the pun " as you would have to freewheel down Ben Nevis to cause any lubrication/overheating issues.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:13 pm

teenmal wrote:Why would it be so.... :?
Accidentally moving the gear selector forward instead of backwards would put it in reverse! With modern gearboxes you might get away with this as they tend to be electronic and will prevent the gears from being selected if the speed is outside of the allowable range. For example, my Volvo has a geartronic 'box which can be driven as a manual with up/down controls but it will not let you change down until the speed had dropped such the engine cannot be over-revved.
rita wrote:The OTHER point about SWITCHING the Engine OFF is You wont have any Power Steering, the point of the auto box lubrication problem is a bit out of the box "excuse the pun " as you would have to freewheel down Ben Nevis to cause any lubrication/overheating issues.
The first 4 cars I owned didn't have power steering yet somehow I managed to go round corners and not develop Popeye arms in the process :).

Why is it not recommended to tow automatic cars above a certain speed / distance if lubrication / overheating is not a possibility without the engine running?
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:15 am

If we wanted economy we wouldn't have bought Bongos!
Idris
Bongonaut

Post by Idris » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:37 pm

Most modern cars, including deisels have terrible fuel ecomomy compared to cars of the 80's considering the advances in technology.

My '86 Citroen BX got 55-60mpg on a normal day and 70mpg if you were extra gentle - if I'd wnated an economic car I'd have bought a AX diesel, thrashed hard my mates one got 75mpg and driven gently it returned 90mpg!
Even my '92 discovery 200tdi makes a mokery of most stuff on the road, but only if driven gently..but 45mpg coudn't be complained about!

My Bongo gets 20mpg around town and 30ish on a run, 40mpg if I sit at 50mph on cruise - I'm guessing the lower final drive ratio and the indirect vs direct injection nature of the engine is the reason it's poor compared to the Discovery, which weighed more, had higher wind resistance and wider tyres?
www.idriskis.com eco friendly skis
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:02 pm

I am interested in keeping my emissions as low as possible and therefore why I am so interested in regular servicing and engine maintenance and economical driving styles. Of course saving money in the process and enjoying leisurely driving speeds in a most comfortable vehicle is a bonus. (and likely safer)

The Bongo being a diesel has had very little effect on me in terms of noise etc. It is the first diesel I have ever owned. Of course it is a little more loud but I think that is mainly cause you are essentially sitting on top of the engine. I can hear and feel that it is a very sure firing, smooth purring and powerful engine. I am impressed because it is not a new design by any means. I am always impressed how smooth it is considering it is a very old engine. ( low mileage for year goes in it's favour 140,000 kms/87,000 miles on the clock, about 4,000 a year)

Though there is no question that the Millers additive helps everything feel smoother/quieter.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”