my V6 seems to be using a lot of fuel

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: my V6 seems to be using a lot of fuel

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:36 am

4mpg improvement is something but not stellar and extra 40miles + extra to the tank seems like a good start. Are you heavy on the accelerator? Smooth acceleration and reading the road (less breaking when safe) will add significantly to your mpg. 15mpg sounds like quite a low mpg, but then again round town that is probably normal. On a good run keeping at 60 that should be much higher.

Do you tend to bomb along the motorways, 70 mph is greatly less efficient than 55-60mpg.

You can check your tyre pressures as well if they are low expect lower MPG. Oil change should help, put some really good quality oil in when you change it and change it regularly.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Very good advice. For the V6, the oil should be changed every 15,000Km or 12 months. Plugs & air filter replacement will help keep it running at peak performance.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Very good advice. For the V6, the oil should be changed every 15,000Km or 12 months. Plugs & air filter replacement will help keep it running at peak performance.
Oh man.. yes Simon the double whammy of deposit coated spark plugs and a clogged air filter will see mpg drop like a stone. I reckon Bully you need to get a regular service routine going that will pay dividends in the fuel economy/emission reduction stakes. If you are specifically mindful of smooth gentle acceleration you will improve that by another 2 mpg round town I reckon if you do tend to boot it a bit.

It really is about incremental improvements/reg servicing and driving style factors that add up and keep mpg and emissions in the happy driver zone.
bullyroberts
Bongonaut

Post by bullyroberts » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks for all the advice, I have started to drive a bit less agresive although I am not too bad and I will keep on top of the oil changes etc so hopefully it should all help :D
[b][i]Out Of Darkness Cometh Light[/i][/b]

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”