Frankenstein engine thoughts.....

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Frankenstein engine thoughts.....

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Same for me skater: 6+ years of diesel & now 4+ years of V6. It does take some getting used to having all that power up the top end of the rev range :).
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Same for me skater: 6+ years of diesel & now 4+ years of V6. It does take some getting used to having all that power up the top end of the rev range :).
Chug chug chug chug chug, doncha just miss that low down effortless torque, cruising down country lanes in lockout at 50 mph and 40 mpg. The Quintessence of Bongoing, says he, stirring it up :lol:

P.S. Not sure whose head cracked first - the Bongos or mine :lol:
skater
Bongolier

Post by skater » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:40 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:Same for me skater: 6+ years of diesel & now 4+ years of V6. It does take some getting used to having all that power up the top end of the rev range :).
Chug chug chug chug chug, doncha just miss that low down effortless torque, cruising down country lanes in lockout at 50 mph and 40 mpg. The Quintessence of Bongoing, says he, stirring it up :lol:

P.S. Not sure whose head cracked first - the Bongos or mine :lol:
Yep, sometimes I do miss it but then again the V6 sounds better; both when quiet and when you give it some revs :wink:
I only do about 3000 miles a year so the fuel cost difference isn't really an issue.
" it's not rocket surgery! "
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:50 pm

I've got LPG & last week was paying 58p/litre down in Cornwall so can't complain too much about running cost.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Pah! You guys are just making excuses (or am I?) :roll: :wink: :lol: 8)
skater
Bongolier

Post by skater » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:21 pm

Just need a turbo on the V6 then we could have the best of both; low-down torque and high rev power, especially if you're running on LPG [-o<
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:31 pm

skater wrote:Just need a turbo on the V6 then we could have the best of both; low-down torque and high rev power, especially if you're running on LPG [-o<
True :roll:
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:16 pm

LPG has an incredibly high octane so is very good with boost.
A supercharger would be best for bottom end, tree stump pulling torque, such as an Eaton but a mini Cooper one would be too small, something off a Merc/Jag?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:37 am

rustyp wrote:LPG has an incredibly high octane so is very good with boost.
A supercharger would be best for bottom end, tree stump pulling torque, such as an Eaton but a mini Cooper one would be too small, something off a Merc/Jag?
I was behind a Tesla Model S last night at some traffic lights. I have NEVER seen anything accelerate from a standing start with such rapidity. Turns out its an electric saloon car. I'd heard they were good, but this was like watching an atom bomb after a conventional one. An electric Bongo with suitable range would get my vote 8)
skater
Bongolier

Post by skater » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:54 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
I was behind a Tesla Model S last night at some traffic lights. I have NEVER seen anything accelerate from a standing start with such rapidity. Turns out its an electric saloon car. I'd heard they were good, but this was like watching an atom bomb after a conventional one. An electric Bongo with suitable range would get my vote 8)
I once moved over to let an Audi RS6 join in the dual carriageway.
Turned out I needn't have bothered :shock:
It disappeared like I was standing still.
Reckon you could fit a V10 in a Bongo? :D
rustyp
Bongolier

Post by rustyp » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:19 pm

In Australia and New Zealand there is a bit of a cult fitting Skyline engines and the like into the older model (pre 95) Bongos with great hilarity. 6 cylinder 2.5 turbo with an was 400bhp with basic mods.
I quite fancy an LS1 Chevy V8, light, compact and powerful
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:49 pm

skater wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
I once moved over to let an Audi RS6 join in the dual carriageway.
Turned out I needn't have bothered :shock:
It disappeared like I was standing still.
Reckon you could fit a V10 in a Bongo? :D
Hmmmm. Tesla Model S:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/17/teslas ... ldkos:vqEM

...and this was a P85D. I remember because it had already shot past me in a flash to get ahead at the lights, which why I was wondering what it was and I was looking at the badges and recall seeing the P85D and thinking it must be powerful diesel. How wrong was I! I'll bet it was being enjoyed by a Cheshire footballer who wanted the fastest thing there is :roll:

Audi RS6:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/rs6

I think what I saw last night could have been significantly faster than the RS6. The sensation was heightened by the fact there was no noise or drama, and being electric there was no gear changing fuss, and torque was phenomenal from the moment it was asked to move. Truly, I've seen some stuff, but this was QUITE different :shock: :shock: :shock:
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:I was behind a Tesla Model S last night at some traffic lights. I have NEVER seen anything accelerate from a standing start with such rapidity. Turns out its an electric saloon car. I'd heard they were good, but this was like watching an atom bomb after a conventional one. An electric Bongo with suitable range would get my vote 8)
Hmmmm. Tesla Model S:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/17/teslas ... ldkos:vqEM

...and this was a P85D. I remember because it had already shot past me in a flash to get ahead at the lights, which why I was wondering what it was and I was looking at the badges and recall seeing the P85D and thinking it must be powerful diesel. How wrong was I! I'll bet it was being enjoyed by a Cheshire footballer who wanted the fastest thing there is :roll:

Audi RS6:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/rs6

I think what I saw last night could have been significantly faster than the RS6. The sensation was heightened by the fact there was no noise or drama, and being electric there was no gear changing fuss, and torque was phenomenal from the moment it was asked to move. Truly, I've seen some stuff, but this was QUITE different :shock: :shock: :shock:
I've now driven a range of electric cars and vans including an MB B series fuel cell car (no batteries).

There is nothing else like it to drive, massive torque from rest that even a Bongo can't even dream about no noise, just Go Go Go as Murray would have said.

Now when the world gets it's @&$€ in gear (sorry) and uses solar/wind power to generate gas (H & O2) by hydrolysis to solve the storage problem. The O2 can be sold to British Oxygen for medical and industrial use and the hydrogen sold as fuel for cars with fuel cells which get around the range problem of batteries.

It could even be sold as fuel for minimally modified I/C engines that would only produce water as emissions - how about that for use in towns?
skater
Bongolier

Post by skater » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:17 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Yeah, the RS6 was the fastest I've seen in real life. Bear in mind I was doing 70 and it just disappeared.
From a stand still no doubt the Tesla would be quicker; watched some youtube clips about them a while back.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:38 pm

skater wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
Yeah, the RS6 was the fastest I've seen in real life. Bear in mind I was doing 70 and it just disappeared.
From a stand still no doubt the Tesla would be quicker; watched some youtube clips about them a while back.
I think you're right. As the RS6 gets on song and the speeds increase, it would probably pull away. But its the speed from a standing start that you get to see most easily, and that is so gobsmacking. And no noise or pause due to gear changing (although no doubt the RS6 will still be in 1st gear at 60mph :lol: )

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”