Interesting but could be BS...

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Interesting but could be BS...

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:40 pm

"What all the big oil companies don't want you to know how to save 60% on fuel "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xae-jd5cHR0

Any clever person understand the science/chemistry on this ?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Interesting but could be BS...

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:41 pm

and where does the energy come from to breakdown the water to gas ? he hasn't even thought about it, utter rubbish!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Brown's Gas or Oxyhydrogen rears it's ugly head yet again #-o
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Having read up on this (and halfway through building my own electroliser) The extra energy comes from the more efficient burning of the base fuel petrol or diesel. Sometime soon i will try it out. If the results are worth passing on I wil post on here.
Yours Ian G.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:53 pm

i mentioned this a while ago but it was done using salt.
i saw it being used to help out an old american winnebago, the old timer bike racer swore by it, he didnt inject it in to the manifold he just let what ever was produced get sucked in.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:04 pm

That was my plam. Simply put a plastic pipe down the inlet pipe till it reaches the air filter.Then if it does not work (as I think may very well be the case) then it is just a matter of removing the kit without any one knowing that I tried this.!!!
Ian G.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:47 pm

Its been tried so many times before, but please do prove it to yourself, but also do the MATHS!
Or if not at least read up on it like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyhydrogen#Production
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:03 am

Hi
Water into wine....6 day camel and 2 bricks....same 'ol same 'ol over the aeons!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:01 pm

g8dhe wrote:Its been tried so many times before, but please do prove it to yourself, but also do the MATHS!
Or if not at least read up on it like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyhydrogen#Production
Whilst not denying that this oxyhydrogen thing is probably all snake oil, there is a theoretical possibility that the presence of something - let's call it a co-agent - could promote more efficient conversion of another commodity - let's call it the primary fuel - from matter to energy. If the energy required to create the co-agent is less than the gain in energy extracted from the primary fuel, then its presence should still result in an overall benefit.

And yes, i have been a chemist in my time. ;-)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:39 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
g8dhe wrote:Its been tried so many times before, but please do prove it to yourself, but also do the MATHS!
Whilst not denying that this oxyhydrogen thing is probably all snake oil, there is a theoretical possibility that the presence of something - let's call it a co-agent - could promote more efficient conversion of another commodity - let's call it the primary fuel - from matter to energy. If the energy required to create the co-agent is less than the gain in energy extracted from the primary fuel, then its presence should still result in an overall benefit.

And yes, i have been a chemist in my time. ;-)
like a catalyst?

Ramblings #1
I read the wiki things and oxyhydrogen burns quite hot, presumably this characteristic is what helps get more out of the "primary fuel" (I'm getting the lingo, man). Doesn't EGR do just the opposite, i.e. reduce the combustion temp, in order to decrease NOX emissions. So even if, possibly, maybe, on the off chance that snake oil works, would it cause NOX to rocket?

Ramblings #2
On the off chance, possibly, maybe, that it could work, is it more likely to benefit old diesel designs like Bongo. Modern diesels with their multiple injections per stroke, and the rest, are already further down the road of harnessing more of the energy in each drop of diesel.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:19 pm

That's about right Chris I reckon, except a catalyst undergoes no change as part of the reaction process where a coagent does (think of platinum in catalytic converters, and methanol injection in engines, as examples of each)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:29 am

Hi
Likewise with the job as a chemist, Mike!....and I use water/ methanol injected in mine....I did mine for other reasons than economy...mainly for improved running in hot weather, but it does tend to boost the "go" factor a fair bit....The chemistry / physics is totally different to the old camel and two bricks method in the thread, and it's impressive when you press the loud pedal
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:27 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Likewise with the job as a chemist, Mike!....and I use water/ methanol injected in mine....I did mine for other reasons than economy...mainly for improved running in hot weather, but it does tend to boost the "go" factor a fair bit....The chemistry / physics is totally different to the old camel and two bricks method in the thread, and it's impressive when you press the loud pedal
Cheers
Helen
The water/methanol injection sounds a lot of fun.

I think you're definitely the Barnes Wallis of the Bongo world Helen, and much more of a chemist and ingeneur than me :-)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:10 am

Hi Mike
Dependent on the insurance company, some may think water / methanol is "tuning"...well, the basic kit I have came from America, and some states (California , for example) ban them...possibly because of the methanol content....however, if they merely stated it was water injection alone, I wonder what the story would be?....coz....then you could put windscreen washer additive in it if it's the methanol type, and just state water / screen-wash....tee hee ....anyway, the theory behind the system is that it's a charge cooler (fuel charge)....and I have some instrumentation I can watch that proves it ( :lol: )....BUT....the so-called "tuning" aspect could be argued with the insurers, as a lot of trucks use it!....Any issue as to whether it improves performance you can prove yourself, as you'll notice that on a damp misty day after a dry spell, you'll actually notice the Bongo being a bit quicker. When you inject water vapour into the induction system, you chill the charge, and the cold air/ fuel vapour is denser, as cold vapour is denser than hot, and when the dense charge hits the cylinder, there's obviously more to go bang!....also, by way of a little extra, theoretically, the water droplets suddenly vapourise into super-heated steam at the diesel operating temperatures, and the theoretical expansion rate is said to be 1000 times...and that seems to help more than a tad ( chuckle)....add a little methanol (I run about 30%), and that helps too 8) ...Anyway, the net result is that the motor runs as smooth as silk, and sounds very un-diesel like ....and them thar V6 owners think that they're quicker and smoother......(evil chuckle)....PLUS, come MOT time, a goodly burst actually CLEANS all the system.
Cheers
Helen
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:05 am

Helen & Tony
I have been considering this myself, interesting about the methanol add in. Would you have a link to the kit you bought and what cost.
Is the delivery metered and if so ,how?
Would you have any pixs of the kit?
Ta.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”