Millers Eco max calc vs Supreme diesel (BARGAIN !)

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Millers Eco max calc vs Supreme diesel (BARGAIN !)

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:33 am

Seeing as petrol/diesel prices are on the hike again. :roll:

Supreme average is 118p litre and supreme is 131p litre

So a 65 litre tank is £76.70 vs £85.15 = £8.45 difference.

Diesel Eco power max is about £13.00 a bottle and in theory you will treat 10 tanks at 50mL a go.

The difference for 10 tanks of supreme would be £84.50 vs £13.00 for a bottle of millers.

Assuming similar benefits it is still extremely good value if you are a supreme diesel user.
Even if you double dose the Diesel version which is suggested as possible on the package it is still a huge saving of £42.00 over 5 tanks.

Similar savings made on petrol version.

Edit: this is the cheapest I have seen it for a while £12.25

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-Oils- ... SwIgNXuA-v

Supreme diesel is a massive waste of money.

I have no connection with Millers at all but trust it and use it religiously now. It saves you a lot of money and makes a difference which is easily noticeable in my Bongo.

As time moves forward I think we could all help each other out on the bargains.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Millers Eco max calc vs Supreme diesel (BARGAIN !)

Post by cmm303 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:10 am

I did some sums when your Ecomax philosophy first came to my attention. I can't remember the exact numbers, but Ecomax pays back if it delivers something like 1-2mpg improvement. Unfortunately this is so within the variations caused by all the other driving conditions (rain, wind, mountains, road works, annoying white vans, ferry timetables etc etc) that its benefits were hard to prove quickly. However I reckon I can now average that improvement easily.

Fixing fuel pump leaks and a warped exhaust manifold might also have a teeny weeny benefit :lol: but still a fan.

P.S. Checked my intercooler yesterday, almost hoping for an oil bath. Dry!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:01 pm

I base my choice on what I hear/feel really. I can clearly hear and feel that the Bongo runs noticeably smoother with Millers in. Smoother must mean less resistance somewhere (probably lubrication of valve stems at a guess) and that means greater efficiency.

There is also the progressive/preventative cleaning/lubrication on the fuel and injectors/valves/stems/pistons etc.

It costs little and is only going to be the same kind of thing you find in much more expensive supreme diesel.

I do in fact have 1 slightly leaky seal on my diesel pump. One was changed when I had the head done (the easy one) and there is another which is more difficult and is a bigger job. I only ever experience a problem when the van has been sitting for quite long while in the cold. It always starts but on occasion stutters a bit for the first few seconds, probably a bit of air getting in when everything is contracted. Right now I am not even really thinking about it, the van runs really well.

The only hassle with additives is having to go and put it in and remembering how much you put in etc. In practice you need latex gloves cause the stuff stinks to high heaven and is not good for your skin (very bad in fact, it says it is carcinogenic). Also you need to roughly estimate how much you need to put in if you are only at 1/2 a tank.

These days I tend to double dose it standard. Still last for ages and I am getting very good mileage this way. The Bongo is totally smoke free which when you see some thrashed 7-10 year diesels is a miracle given it is 20 years old.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:11 pm

New Millers turned up and it looks different.

I am wondering if it is a "new and improved"... read : "worse and diluted" version.

I noticed 2 things it is a different colour, lighter yellow and it seems thinner in viscosity when you shake it compared to the old stuff.

Why would you change a formula that your good reputation has been based on ? I am going to send them an email.

I wonder if they are diluting it ? Also it now says use within 24 months and not 12 months. Have they 1/2'd the good stuff for extended life ?

Well... if I am finding it is not as good I won't be using it again and you will be hearing about it if I find out it is not as good so they will have shot themselves right in the foot.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:52 pm

You're right, defo lighter colour. :-? [-o<
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:12 am

Probably take me quite a while to get into that new bottle now so interested if you notice any differences.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Received a reply:

"Thank you for your enquiry but I can assure you that we have not diluted the product . What we have done is improve the product even more which you should see the difference. The reason why the product is lighter in colour is because we have changed a component which cleans the engine up much quicker and is very important for use in a car that has never had a additive in before and a customer is using it for the first time. Also because we send this product all over the world and some countries diesel is not as good as what we have here now we needed to get engine fuel systems cleaned up much quicker and this new component is lighter in colour than the component which it has replaced and this in turn has made the overall product lighter in colour and the viscosity of the additive is exactly the same and this have never altered from day one when we brought out our first diesel additive which was called Dieselclean back then in the early nineties. The other thing that we have done to the product is to improve the cetane by another half a cetane which again will help with more power."

See how it feels I guess.

PS I think I found Millers a new customer, that thing supposed to be run on gas ! I don't think : Millers "Coal Power Eco Max" is on the cards :lol:

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Just started on my new ("use in 24 months" bottles with the lighter colour, noted a different smell when opening the bottle as the stuff really pen and inks, more citrussy) Will report back if I notice any differences in the drive. Got 3 bottles in a while back of the new lighter stuff and have just started to use them. Still would not run the Bongo without it, kept it sailing smoothly this summer and keeping rocketting fuel costs/consumptipon down. £11.52 delivered is current best price which is pretty good really as you might have though it would have gone up quite a bit given the current exchange rates.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Not 100pct sure yet but I might have noticed a difference this weekend using the lighter colour Millers. Will respond in future after more driving (which might take a while as we are close to end of season for us). We had a bit more weight than usual (only about 15kgs) but I have a feeling it might have changed. I personally felt I had to rev a bit more to get up hills and for that weight increase I would not expect to rev quite as much, it felt just slightly noticeable at the very least (engine note and maybe had 5pct less grunt than normal).

They cannot leave a good thing alone can they... in my experience "New and improved" generally means..."Worse and not as good as we have economized on ingredients". Maybe it is a little less explosive ?

I hope this is not the case, if so that is my love affair with Millers over. I have a few bottles to get through and will report back when I feel I have assessed it for long enough to judge.

I do plan to check our air filter as well, it may be due a change.

(Cannot be oil related as I have only done 2,500 miles max this season - Castrol Magnatec semi synth so not any old cr*p)
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Any opinions on Redex Cetane Booster - I ask because Eurocarparts stock it (not Millers) and they have 30% off at the moment making it £8.40 a bottle
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:56 am

Hi Jimmo, sorry never tried it so cannot vouch for it. Millers has been very good and it may yet
be something else that made me sense a slight loss of power. I will take a bit of time to find out for sure.

I have a brand new Solid Ace air filter in a box sitting next to my computer to remind me to fit it. Last time I just spun it round sometime in spring
so it may well be that and the extra weight. We had our new awning in there and that must be 10kgs and lots of water bottles 6 x 2L ones so it may well be that, maybe the Mrs put something extra in there I was not sure about as well.

Edit: Actually thinking about it there was also a 10KG king size heavy quilt that I use this time of year. I think I might be making a fuss about nothing. I suppose and extra 30kgs would make some kind of difference uphill when the Bongo is already full.

Millers does around 10 tanks of diesel so you need to see how many tanks Redex does to compare. (I just checked and the redex only does 1 single tank)

If I was you I would still to Millers Diesel Eco Power Max and just double dose it. (which it says you can on the package)
Zoom in on the Redex package the bottom red bit says single dose :

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/ ... gKFofD_BwE

If I still notice any differences I will report back.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Used Redex on and off for years but switched over to the MIllers on my cars after reading this. 500ml bottle is circa £7 with a Trade Card in Halfords.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”