London Emissions Surcharge announcment

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: London Emissions Surcharge announcment

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:54 pm

If only Helen had been standing against Trump instead of Hilary #-o

You're right Helen. Once you've discovered what a nice walk (or just sitting if you're not up to walking) with a pack lunch and a good book in your rucksack can do for your wellbeing, you realise that its not necessary to burn huge amounts of CO2 to achieve peace, happiness and health. I love using public transport in town where its practical - whats the joy in driving there. But an old Bongo to take me off into landscapes seems reasonable enough (annual mileage on that v low).
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:18 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Whenever presented with the argument of pollution, sorry, but there's always someone saying that re-cycling what we have manufactured already, and keeping it running longer is less polluting than manufacturing new....Breathe on, brothers and sisters, they still fork out muck into the air. Yes....I'd ban foreign travel by 'plane, and only allow specially sanctioned flights where necessary in the extreme. I'd stop long-distance deliveries by trucks, and stick to train transport, develop small communities with manufacturing capacity for the needs of others, so we can foster trade between other communities. Public transport between communities might be available by appointment. I'd introduce rationing, so that we can no longer expect to gorge huge amounts of yet another dwindling resource....FOOD...I'd ban so many things, you wouldn't want to live in my world...I'd ban organised religion, but not personal belief, and you know what?....you'd eventually be happy, and no depression....especially when I censor what little TV i'd allow
Oh, I've just started....but, brothers and sisters, the world is sick, and we need to take a bitter pill if we want our children's children to have a life to live....and I'd introduce the need for a licence to breed!
Cheers
Helen
Actually Helen I would truthfully like to live in a world like that. As long as it applied to everyone with no exceptions even for the political elite.
=D> =D> =D>
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Whenever presented with the argument of pollution, sorry, but there's always someone saying that re-cycling what we have manufactured already, and keeping it running longer is less polluting than manufacturing new....Breathe on, brothers and sisters, they still fork out muck into the air. Yes....I'd ban foreign travel by 'plane, and only allow specially sanctioned flights where necessary in the extreme. I'd stop long-distance deliveries by trucks, and stick to train transport, develop small communities with manufacturing capacity for the needs of others, so we can foster trade between other communities. Public transport between communities might be available by appointment. I'd introduce rationing, so that we can no longer expect to gorge huge amounts of yet another dwindling resource....FOOD...I'd ban so many things, you wouldn't want to live in my world...I'd ban organised religion, but not personal belief, and you know what?....you'd eventually be happy, and no depression....especially when I censor what little TV i'd allow
Oh, I've just started....but, brothers and sisters, the world is sick, and we need to take a bitter pill if we want our children's children to have a life to live....and I'd introduce the need for a licence to breed!
Cheers
Helen
All seems like the ideal, and I agree with some of what you say, although ideals are often built around the individual/personal and not the many. No one is the same, there are no absolutes. As long as one could organize themselves around the immediate problems that this would create and costs that would be passed onto the public.

How would you get produce shipped in from other countries to the supermarket before it rots using a 3rd party train service when they have their own massive warehouses, logistics and HGV fleets ? As 1 example.

Although I won't be manufacturing anything for anyone as I very much enjoy the freedom to choose what I do for a living. I value my relative freedom highly and prefer not to be dictated to by any wayward from centre form of political view or governance. (Like the vast majority of people I suspect)

In lieu of no viable immediate solution for pollution free travel tomorrow, I think good servicing, maintenance, sensible driving and use of existing ready vehicles is more than reasonable, given the C02 footprint of any newly made vehicles + the pollution they will create.(95pct petrol and diesel)

I don't believe there are easy answers or solutions to a crisis that has been 200 years in the making. Just industrial and personal incremental changes which unfortunately will be too little too late.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi
Well...it's my idea of how I'd like to live...as for supermarkets, I would not entertain them...The idea of small communities is that you have a group that produces what it needs....a couple of people in every useful trade, and total equality in decision making...true communal living...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Well...it's my idea of how I'd like to live...as for supermarkets, I would not entertain them...The idea of small communities is that you have a group that produces what it needs....a couple of people in every useful trade, and total equality in decision making...true communal living...
Cheers
Helen

Now you're talking my language Helen:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Is_Beautiful

I await publication of Zen and the Art of Bongo Maintenance 8)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Nothing wrong with a community working together. Though I don't see any sign of that in the U.K. especially now it is a deeply divided country. By and large people seem to care for themselves and their own family, you cannot even drive anywhere without someone putting your life at risk through irresponsible and uncaring attitudes. People won't even smile at you never mind build community bonds where we can share our wares and skills.

So until the local collectives 1) Start existing 2) Start working harder and longer than they have ever done before to grow, nurture, farm, store and preserve food of all types 4am - 9pm job farming 3) Need the services and skills I can provide in return 4) Can convince the vast majority of the community that it will result in better living 5) Accept all races, religions and creeds and different viewpoints in the community as being equal I will have just have to rely on the supermarket.

Cooperation is a great thing it is how we have become so successful as a species (though it could be argued too successful for our own good) I am just playing devils advocate.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:14 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Cheers
Helen

Now you're talking my language Helen:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Is_Beautiful

I await publication of Zen and the Art of Bongo Maintenance 8)
Following this I went on Amazon and bought a copy of that book 75p + 2.81 ukp postage and a replacement for a long lost book from my comune days (more of a squat really) from Ebay called Mother Earth Handbook of Homemade Power pub 1974 so I am ready for the big day. :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:37 pm

I've been a Schumacher man since meeting a guy in the early 1980s who ran an intermediate technology business. He explained the principles and i liked them at once. Typical me though i've still not read the book, and i should make an effort to.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:01 am

Hi
Bongobongo123
No...it couldn't happen in the UK , except in rare circumstances...Life's a fair bit different outside the "Land of the Whingeing Pom"...but as regards communities that exist as a Co-Operative, they tend to be a bit selective about new recruits, and it's invitation only....I had been approached by one that exists like a rural community within a large town....rather amazing....but , unfortunately I moved onto another area.
Regards people not smiling, it's a treat over here...nearly everyone in the village knows who I am, and I get a smile and a wave about 12 - 20 times when I drive to the village centre
Yes, I know what you mean about points 4 and 5 in your list...It couldn't ever happen in the UK...maybe when I was a child, and the UK was different, but not in today's spoiled society....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:44 am

:shock: :shock: "DRIVE to the village center" :shock: :shock:
I am devastated and disollusioned.
:( :(
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:11 am

mikeonb4c wrote:I've been a Schumacher man since meeting a guy in the early 1980s who ran an intermediate technology business. He explained the principles and i liked them at once. Typical me though i've still not read the book, and i should make an effort to.
I'll put a copy in the post for you, Mike. Together with "Blueprint for Survival".
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Ian wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:I've been a Schumacher man since meeting a guy in the early 1980s who ran an intermediate technology business. He explained the principles and i liked them at once. Typical me though i've still not read the book, and i should make an effort to.
I'll put a copy in the post for you, Mike. Together with "Blueprint for Survival".
Seriously? Wow, thanks++ i'll enjoy reading that in my new found retirement.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi
Bongolia
Yes..I'm sorry to have to drive...when I was fit, I'd run 7 miles before breakfast, spend 2 1/2 hours in a gym later in the day and walk 5 miles in the evening...But...I now need lower spine (twisted 2 ways) and neck operated on...i've had 2 strokes, a circulation difficulty in the brain, and heart valve disease and angina....and I have a few more darned awkward circulatory syndromes , so I just make do with a treadmill and a couple of good dog-walks....A trip to the village on foot would be a bit too much.... :lol: :lol: :lol: ....sheesh, it makes me shudder thinking of walking in the summer heat....and it's no good in winter....I haven't been skating for years! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Sheesh! I thought I had problems! :o
What about a dog cart that would fit in nicely ethos wise?
You already have most of the bits, dog, Bongo axle,seat. Not sure how you could incorporate your gauges but I am sure you will find something to measure. :P
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi
Oh, that's the half of my problems....literally, but maybe this year I'll get an electric bike...I do keep moderately fit...more than most folk, but a brisk walk to the centre would be too time-consuming...I'd rather be with the dogs... 8) 8) 8) ..Oh, boy, the dogs are strong enough to pull a cart....BUT...the mere sight of a cat , and I'd be off on a new land speed record up some deeply rutted side-street.... :lol: :lol: :lol: We also get packs of feral dogs here, and jackals...and once my dogs get a 'niff of them I have to dig heels in and hope I can stand!!!.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”