London Emissions Surcharge announcment

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: London Emissions Surcharge announcment

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:53 pm

With all that on your plate you have a commendable fitness regime still.
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Bongolia wrote:
g8dhe wrote:Just seen that a new T-Charge is being introduced from October this year for London;
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... sadiq-khan
You can check if you fall foul of this here;
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissi ... ge-checker

Just checked my V6 and its OK so no charges.
What year is yoirs then Geoff?
Sorry to drag this back on topic, but I can't see how there can be no charges. There must be - due to age if nothing else? I put the date of mine in and was told it would "be affected".
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Is it only diesels that are affected ? The V6 is petrol. Diesels are supposedly now the most polluting in cities because of high nitrogen dioxide levels and associated health problems.

How they can have diesel buses in London without total ridicule and the standing of complete hypocrisy is beyond me, talk about start stop driving, cannot get any worse than a bus. Beyond incompetent.

As long as they are nailing you for every bit of money they can get away with it's fine in their eyes.

It is the government who are the ones promoting and continuing fossil fuel with no future game plan. When there is no plan it is just pure profiteering. Where does the money go?

"By law, net revenue
from
the
Congestion
Charge
must be
spent
on
further improvements
to transport
across
London

. "

Vague enough for you ?

£130 million a year revenue and no gas buses, that is truly disgusting.
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Totally agree. Not for the first time, an ill thought out decision. Quite honestly wonder what planet these so-called leaders are on.
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:30 am

[quote="BongoBongo123"]Is it only diesels that are affected ? The V6 is petrol. Diesels are supposedly now the most polluting in cities because of high nitrogen dioxide levels and associated health problems.

How they can have diesel buses in London without total ridicule and the standing of complete hypocrisy is beyond me, talk about start stop driving, cannot get any worse than a bus. Beyond incompetent.

As long as they are nailing you for every bit of money they can get away with it's fine in their eyes.

It is the government who are the ones promoting and continuing fossil fuel with no future game plan. When there is no plan it is just pure profiteering. Where does the money go?

"By law, net revenue
from
the
Congestion
Charge
must be
spent
on
further improvements
to transport
across
London

. "

Vague enough for you ?

£130 million a year revenue and no gas buses, that is truly disgusting.[/quote]

No, its diesel and petrol vehicles. :(
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Surprising it is both. But it parallels with what I said..but we can add.. "the most amount of people possible" to the screwing. When you consider many of the politicians have superficial knowledge about the areas in which they make decisions (unlike a professional who is paid for their deep and specific knowledge and the value they add) and make decisions with a skewed political bent without the weight of personal accountability, seemingly lost in party politics, what can you expect ?

Until there is personal accountability with regards the systems we have paid for with our taxes we can expect nothing else than incompetence all the way. It is not even a case of :

"Just enough is good enough" anymore.

I will add I think it can be dangerous president to tar all MP's with the same brush as clearly there are some politicians who believe and are passionate about (on both sides of the house in fact) what they believe in and try and work for the greater good of society, otherwise we end up with black and white statements which have no place in reality. Modern life is much more complex than some simplistic statements that are meant to be the answer to problems that most people would not even care to try and understand the complexity of. The world is very complicated and interdependent now, ultimately we rely on each other to make it work.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:49 pm

It will be no good for a Bongo driver in Germany. Or for drivers of any cars come to that:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indus ... -cars-2030
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:16 pm

Ian wrote:It will be no good for a Bongo driver in Germany. Or for drivers of any cars come to that:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indus ... -cars-2030
Ye Gods. Aeroplanes next? :lol: :shock: :(
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:04 am

I hate to think what any Bongo arches will look like after 13 more winters... :lol: It does say "want" it may be hard to realize and depends on whether it is an outright ban or just no more to be made. That will be their export market shot.

Well it is a progressive move. They must be forcing manufacturers to make only electric cars then within 5 years so people can save up. Surely that is forcing every car driving citizen with an additional hefty financial burden ? I cannot imagine any of these being less than £20,000.00 new, not anything you could parallel with a normal hatchback model now anyway in terms of range per charge.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 am

Interesting that the nation that has probably done more than most to push diesel cars at the market, trading diesel economy for diesel power whilst fiddlings the emissions books, is now pushing hard on electric. At a guess i'd say they're aiming to be the dominant European player on e-cars, starting with a strong domestic market. I wonder if there will in time be a 'diesel-like' problem with e-cars (battery industry poisoning the planet etc) :roll:
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Improvements in battery technology will mean a range of 250 miles in the near future, maybe more. And a network of fast battery changeover stations will put a stop to the major impediment for their e-car ownership; where do I charge my battery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngS7cPEiI8A

Costs of new electric vehicles are only high because the major e-car firms (Honda, Tesla) need to recoup their initial investment. They will come down over time. And in any case, even now the cost of rental or contract hire of, for example, the Leaf is not much more than a similar small petrol car.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Ian wrote:Improvements in battery technology will mean a range of 250 miles in the near future, maybe more. And a network of fast battery changeover stations will put a stop to the major impediment for their e-car ownership; where do I charge my battery?

Costs of new electric vehicles are only high because the major e-car firms (Honda, Tesla) need to recoup their initial investment. They will come down over time. And in any case, even now the cost of rental or contract hire of, for example, the Leaf is not much more than a similar small petrol car.
It seems obvious to me that swapping stations are the way to go, even when better batteries are common.
Black cab manufacturers especially have missed a trick I think.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Interesting that the nation that has probably done more than most to push diesel cars at the market, trading diesel economy for diesel power whilst fiddlings the emissions books, is now pushing hard on electric. At a guess i'd say they're aiming to be the dominant European player on e-cars, starting with a strong domestic market. I wonder if there will in time be a 'diesel-like' problem with e-cars (battery industry poisoning the planet etc) :roll:
That is one way of viewing it, although VW is company not a country. Electric vehicle law is progressive and in theory good for breathing beings and the planet as a whole. The details seem unclear though. The other is why does the U.K. not have the long term vision necessary to actually make things really work well such as a green car manufacturer ? Build it and they will come !

More and more I find I have to have eyes like an eagle to just get something delivered working. I had an experience a few weeks ago where I purchase a PC for a princely sum, a decent custom built one... broke in 2 days (they talked up how well tested everything is and shipped it with a motherboard PSU lead hanging out of a socket. I can build them myself, but it's the time thing you know), lots of waffle and talk, when it comes to walking the walk HOT AIR ! So sent it back, sorry not good enough. So ordered elsewhere.....that turned up and immediately had to have a remote session engineer on it tweaking the settings. The exception to the rule is getting something that works and is spot on first time in my experience.

I just wish the Government would have a vision, a plan, something that does not screw the people for more and more and more money as time goes on, something that is fit for purpose and planned for properly. Not for the easiest, cheapest, most convenient, tick box off the list approach they seem to lazily follow.

Short term gain, long term pain seems to be the game they "organize". As I say it is not all politicians we should all be careful to tar with the same brush cause it is potentially dangerous.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Ian wrote:Improvements in battery technology will mean a range of 250 miles in the near future, maybe more. And a network of fast battery changeover stations will put a stop to the major impediment for their e-car ownership; where do I charge my battery?

At the risk of sounding smug (but what the hell) its about now i produce the letter of reply i got from Clive Sinclair c1985 to the letters i sent him both before and after the C5 debacle, trying to get him to take interest in and champion the idea of battery charging/swapping stations as a way to both unlock e-cars as a marketable idea as well as helping with economic regeneration in a recession torn North. I can still recall his wording:

"Your idea has been considered and judged not to be viable. That is not to say it won't prove to be the eventual solution."

30 years lead time wasted as far as i'm concerned. Not sure whether to laugh or cry at that.

I also enthused about airships around then. And sail assist for ocean going vessels. I'm still scanning the horizon but there is some movement on airships. Japan did a lot of research on sail assist around then i think i read and no doubt has patents and technology mothballed and ready.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Mike, next thing you'll be telling us about heavier than air planes with no engine at all. :shock:

Nahhh, too far fetched. :wink:

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”