My mpg and cost per mile

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

My mpg and cost per mile

Post by fatcatlawyer » Fri May 17, 2019 11:09 am

Just got back from a tour of Scotland. Sorted the figures out.

Km travelled. 2964. = miles. 1841
&
Fuel. 265 litres. = gallons. 58.

Miles per gallon. 31.74

Cost of fuel

Diesel. 67 litres. @ 1.34. = £ 90.
Cooking oil. 167. @ 0.70 = £117. (Thank you tesco).
Cooking oil. 18. @1.00. .= £18

Total spent. £252

Cost per mile. About. 14p per mile.

Car not quite "filled to the gunnels" but getting that way two adults mobility scooter et al.

Anything over 30 mpg is in my view reasonable. Anyone got views on these figures?

Yours Ian G
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: My mpg and cost per mile

Post by Bob » Fri May 17, 2019 1:37 pm

Sounds very good indeed. =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri May 17, 2019 2:20 pm

As good as it gets I'd say FCL - is it a 2wd?
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 pm

4 wheel drive with 356k on odometer!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri May 17, 2019 10:54 pm

fatcatlawyer wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 pm 4 wheel drive with 356k on odometer!
Astoundingly good mpg then - probably helped by well worn bores :lol:
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Sat May 18, 2019 10:34 am

Though wifey has cause to complain when I exceed the speedo limit I would never describe her as a well worn bore!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat May 18, 2019 11:13 am

fatcatlawyer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:34 am Though wifey has cause to complain when I exceed the speedo limit I would never describe her as a well worn bore!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat May 18, 2019 6:08 pm

Bob wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:13 am
fatcatlawyer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:34 am Though wifey has cause to complain when I exceed the speedo limit I would never describe her as a well worn bore!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
And that from a well worn bobbin :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yrs

A Very Big Bore :lol:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:34 am

It is ok. At best I have calculated doing 40mpg (diesel).

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=69261

40mpg seems a lot more than most on average.. a few have got 38mpg here so seems not impossible but certainly
at the upper end.

You have to be doing 50mph to have a chance of 40mpg so a long smooth "A" road or speed restriction
at 50mph does the trick.

I was indeed suspicious with my MPG (I wondered if I could trust my odometer/trip meter) But they did read the same
in KMS and of course I do all the calcs relative to miles. But whilst suspicious I also checked some distances on the maps
and they all tallyed up so yes 40mpg is possible. Average on a run I am 37mpg these days at last check.

I do use fuel additives Millers Ecomax but not entirely sure if it improves MPG, it does quieten the engine,
improves starting and we have no smoke at all. That in itself is worth its use and saves a lot of over so called
"Premium" diesel.

I have heard from Bongo experts cooking oil is not great for the engine, not sure how much
using it as fuel itself might affect mpg and/or its possible long term detrimental effect on the engine.
People do use it though, I prefer not to just for the engines sake. It is nice to know it is an option
compared to modern cars.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Sun May 19, 2019 10:02 am

I have used cooking oil for ten years. My recycled oil used to clog the fuel filter. Now I use new oil that is no longer an issue. I get similar. Miles per litre whether it is diesel or cooking oil. This was the first time I have bothered to keep accurate records of what goes into the tank and what it costs. I wanted to know cost per mile as all as mpg. If e.g. you get more mpg for using additives or premium diesel but per mile it costs more then in actuality there is no savings.
For our trip I was going about sixty mph on duel carriageways and forty on the pretty roads of Scottish Highlands (pulling over whenever a car was on my tail) so not so smooth cruising when enjoying the north west!

We will be touring again after the Bongofest and I will try and keep detailed records of that trip for comparison purposes.

Thanks for the interest.
Yours Ian G
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun May 19, 2019 11:11 am

My 2wd has returned 40mpg once and 41mpg once. But these are freak figures i think, under pretty optimal conditions. Doing 65-70 i may get 30-32mpg on motorway runs if headwind not significant. Subtract 2mpg for 4wd and you were travelling slower so i think your figures are healthy and about right. Within reason these days i don't care (esp for the mileage i do) and think instead about all the unique (and money saving) things the Bongo allows me to do. Life's too short, at my age :lol:
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:39 pm

I have just completed my last big trip.
Figures. Milles 2907
Fuel 446 litres = 98.1 Gallons

Mpg. 29.63

Cost per mile 17.2 pence.

Countries visited /passed through. : England France Belgium Netherlands Germany Poland Germany France and back to England.
Highlights having a meal with a Syrian Refugee in her garden in Germany. Riding along a pier out into the Baltic. Low points having the nearside driveshaft giving up in France. Waiting two days at a local campsite for the French mechanic to decline to remove the propshaft and nearside driveshaft so as to covert from 4 wheel drive to a two wheel drive. Problem resolved by phoning breakdown recovery insurance explaining to them what I wanted in English for them to phone the Garage and explain in technical French what was required and then being on the road within 45 minutes.

No photos sorry! Called at the birthplace of V****W***** at Wolfsburg. In fact the campsite there is lakeside which is reached after passing signs for that carmaker factory A and B.

Might have been filmed by the Tour de France helicopter at Duc de Bar. Last year it was cold this year just too hot still enjoyed the trip.

Drive shaft on the way out affected the mpg cos before that I calculated it at 32mpg.

Note to moderator if this should be moved to touring abroad just shift it!
Ian G
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi
I have a 2.0lt petrol AFT and recently we drove fully loaded from Kent to Cornwall using both motorways and A roads. Doing a rough calculation I believe we got about 28 mpg.
We did notable slow on the hills mind, making the engine work harder than a diesel would.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 pm

We were in Somerset a few months ago and realised if we lived in a very hilly area the 2.0 would not be a good option.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi Flanners
Would have to agree with you. It's my only bug bear with my bongo, lack of power when climbing, still we have learned to live with it and just tell each other "we are on holiday and not in a hurry".

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”