Breakdown Insurance

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Re: Breakdown Insurance

Post by daveblueozzie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Ian wrote:
daveblueozzie wrote:I have used them twice and always within the hour they turn up.
You ought to get yourself a proper vehicle if your current one keeps breaking down Dave. :lol:
:lol: NICE ONE. the vehicle in question is now no longer in my ownership.
Lost without my Bongo.
anneakagwen
Junior Bongonaut

Post by anneakagwen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Lifesure quoted me £150 for UK & European cover - just took our insurance with them

Seemed good to me, I have a policy with Kwik Fit breakdown so I need to see if they will swap it to the Bongo before I take it out.
I am expecting them to say no, so will have to pay a cancellation fee :-(

Anne
another bongo
Bongonaut

Post by another bongo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:24 pm

Been with Scenic Ins. for both my first bongo (v6) and now my diesel, good price. It includes breakdown, recovery home start etc. . also in Europe as well including what I tow. Used it a few times no problem was usually RAC or green flag. Last year I had a flat in the caravan tyre in France, as I had no spare for it (silly me) they recovered the caravan on a low loader to the nearest dealer & I followed. Another tyre was sourced and they fitted it, all I was charged for was the new tyre. Scenic also offered overnight acc.if needed as well. I'm told caravan club do a good deal as well, ( I'm a member) but happy with this for now.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:04 am

Thanks all, will check out prices on both those
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:46 am

I'm with the aa
Have been for years
I have 2 policy's
Your normal aa relay thing. £130 ish
Also have breakdown insurance £ same ish ( this gives me 5 breakdowns per year with repairs at a garage of my choice upto £500 per breakdown )

As for there service
Well I've had to use them twice in the last 3 years
3 years ago I ripped the roof off my landrover in devon on holiday with caravan
They had 2 days notice of when I needed to go home
Turned up 2 hours late loaded landy on back of lorry hitched up caravan
Family and kids got in then driver said I can only take you 50 miles then my time up
This was 11am
At 18:00 we were still at Gordon's services waiting for next lorry
In the end I made them get me a hire car to get my family home
And left the landy and caravan with them
It got back 02:00

I've also just had to use them 2 days ago after caravan tyre went bang on m5 wrecking me caravan
We had to stand side of m5 before aa van turned up
Agreed it was un towable and said he'd get a lorry but eta was 60/90 mins
I said unacceptable
My kids are not standing here any more
Eventually they agreed for me to leave caravan with them on motorway
My mates see it getting loaded 3 hours later
So they would of expected my kids to be side of motorway for 5 hours , hmmmmmm
Caravan goy back 24hrs later
By contract firm

Who phoned me trying to put it off as there lorry had broken down
I said I dony understand why you are telling me about a broken bearing on your lorry for 10 mins
If that caravan is not back with me today by 6pm
I will be coming down to help you with your lorry sir
I suggest you re load it to another lorry / company and set off before I do at 18:00
It got to me by 17:00 surprisingly

I m still waiting for the follow up call from aa to see how it all went

So in my eyes service not the best
But they do get it done eventually
The prob is now days there drivers are limited to hours and mileage I beleave
So for any big journeys they have to sub job out
But I will stay with them for some reason
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
smillingjimmyc
Bongonaut

Post by smillingjimmyc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:16 am

mikeonb4c wrote:So, who should I do my next years breakdown insurance with. Currently with RAC which cost £114 last year but wanted £157 this year until I challenged it then they put me across to customer wotsit who revised it to £127. These figures are re for roadside repair/recovery and onward travel. So I went online. Green Flag seem to offer £104 including 15% online discount and this includes homestart (I say seem as their website doesn't recognise my Bongo or any Bongo). Then I try 2gether (who I'm insured with) as a google search included them in a list of good people to try for older cars. Provided I only want UK cover, their quote was £51 !!!! Their package includes roadside, onward travel, and homestart. So what is going on in this market, and are the old brand names like RAC and AA really worth all that extra premium!?!?! I'd love to hear other people's stories, including experiences when they broke down.
Can't understand this! I just paid renewal with rac same cover £99.99 including key return/accident care/legal.Just realised i renewed veh insurance yesterday and paid another £15 for key care :oops: I also noticed I got breakdown etc through insurance with axa though I gather they are pretty hopeless according to reviews I've seen.Anyone used axa breakdown/homestrart etc?
98 4wd
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:08 am

smillingjimmyc wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:So, who should I do my next years breakdown insurance with. Currently with RAC which cost £114 last year but wanted £157 this year until I challenged it then they put me across to customer wotsit who revised it to £127. These figures are re for roadside repair/recovery and onward travel. So I went online. Green Flag seem to offer £104 including 15% online discount and this includes homestart (I say seem as their website doesn't recognise my Bongo or any Bongo). Then I try 2gether (who I'm insured with) as a google search included them in a list of good people to try for older cars. Provided I only want UK cover, their quote was £51 !!!! Their package includes roadside, onward travel, and homestart. So what is going on in this market, and are the old brand names like RAC and AA really worth all that extra premium!?!?! I'd love to hear other people's stories, including experiences when they broke down.
Can't understand this! I just paid renewal with rac same cover £99.99 including key return/accident care/legal.Just realised i renewed veh insurance yesterday and paid another £15 for key care :oops: I also noticed I got breakdown etc through insurance with axa though I gather they are pretty hopeless according to reviews I've seen.Anyone used axa breakdown/homestrart etc?
And it's this kind of behaviour from rac that makes me want to look elsewhere. In nearly 50 years of driving I've never called breakdown out once. What reward do I have to show for that! Useful to get this info. I might phone and ask rac what's going on. :twisted:

P.s. - does your rac fee cover recovery and onward travel, as my quote includes both.
smillingjimmyc
Bongonaut

Post by smillingjimmyc » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:59 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
smillingjimmyc wrote:
And it's this kind of behaviour from rac that makes me want to look elsewhere. In nearly 50 years of driving I've never called breakdown out once. What reward do I have to show for that! Useful to get this info. I might phone and ask rac what's going on. :twisted:

P.s. - does your rac fee cover recovery and onward travel, as my quote includes both.
Yes recovery etc but not home start.According to axa website they don't cover vehs 17 y/o so don't know what would happen if i called them out via insurance!
98 4wd
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:12 pm

Footnote to this: I decided to renew with RAC at £127.36 for Roadside and Onward Recovery. £104 Green Flag online discount would have included Homestart but I can't be doing with the hassle for the £s difference and I'm persuaded that (1) RACwill handle my 20yr old vehicle since I've bought more than just Roadside Rescue and (2) they probably have a better integrated operation than Green Flag. But to be honest you can find lovers and haters of all of them wherever you look. General rule probably is: try not to break down :lol:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:54 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Footnote to this: I decided to renew with RAC at £127.36 for Roadside and Onward Recovery. £104 Green Flag online discount would have included Homestart but I can't be doing with the hassle for the £s difference and I'm persuaded that (1) RACwill handle my 20yr old vehicle since I've bought more than just Roadside Rescue and (2) they probably have a better integrated operation than Green Flag. But to be honest you can find lovers and haters of all of them wherever you look. General rule probably is: try not to break down :lol:
We just renewed our RAC and had to remove a driver from the policy - that was the hardest thing - changing down!!!!! But yes, RAC confirmed provided you have more than just the standard Breakdown, you are covered in your beloved (old) bongo.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
BongoTraveller
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoTraveller » Sat May 14, 2016 8:46 am

Nationwide's FlexPlus Bank account (£10/month) includes UK & Europe-wide breakdown cover via Britannia Rescue (as well as other things, such as travel insurance, mobile phone insurance etc): http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/cu ... d-benefits
Haven't tried using the breakdown cover in Europe, but it looks decent. It includes homestart, recovery, and car hire / accommodation if needed.
neilrenault
Junior Bongonaut

Post by neilrenault » Mon May 16, 2016 11:30 am

Hi

Looking into breakdown (UK only) for my 1996 bongo. Being on the 20 year bracket, can anyone save me a lot of time and suggest the cheapest provider for UK only breakdown cover? :) :?:

Road relay required, I'm flexible about homestart as a pal can pick it up if required. But would be advantageous to have.
Thanks in advance
neil

p.s. I don't mind waiting if its not one of the rolls royce companies (AA, RAC etc) ;-)
BillyCasper
Bongonaut

Post by BillyCasper » Thu May 19, 2016 11:03 am

Perhaps I should have read this thread before I bought my breakdown insurance.

Anyway, I have RAC Arrival via The Camping and Caravanning Club. Personal based membership, lead and one additional member in the household, roadside and home attendance and recovery, key return, legal care, European rescue (comprehensive cover in Europe with up to 3 call-outs).

Cost £162 plus £90 for Europe.

Return to “Insurance”