What breakdown cover do you use ?

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

What breakdown cover do you use ?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:43 am

I have used AutoNational Rescue recovery for 10 years + and they have been fine till today when I try and renew. They are no longer willing to cover the Freda anymore as it is a motor home and they said that sometimes vans and motor homes do not fit on their third party recovery company vehicles which causes logistical problems. They wanted £85.50 until they said the Bongo would not be insured anymore. I asked for a quote for car alone and they said £57.00 for 1 year recovery insurance for the car alone without the Bongo.

I have a normal car and the Bongo to insure for recovery.

Before I go ahead with the car alone I wanted to know if you have a good recovery deals on your Bongo/other cars under one policy or split policies. I definitely want recovery options as opposed to roadside assistance alone.

Many thanks :)
jimmo62
Bongolier

Re: What breakdown cover do you use ?

Post by jimmo62 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:01 pm

Recovery for just the Bongo only for £68 with Green Flag via the Caravan Club - you don't have to be a member of the Caravan Club to get this deal
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Have a look at RAC/AA for Personal cover IE any vehicle that you travel in is covered, for £55 I had National Recovery with the RAC.

PS the £55 was discounted.

Good Luck.
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:40 pm

I used to use the RAC for the UK but have just changed to a Nationwide Building Society Flex Plus current account. For £10 per month this covers the Bongo and my wife's car, UK & European breakdown cover, and recovery. They were happy to cover the unconverted Bongo but I think they are ok with converted one's as well. Also no car age limit for European cover.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks for the replies, 2 vehicles with RAC = £114.99

AA = £100.00 (discounted by average £35.00 for intro year)

Greenflag = £150.00 (with personal cover which includes any car, I am suspicious because they would not automatically find the Bongo from the reg number, suggesting they may not cover it?)

Looks like my great deal for £85.50 a year for 2 vehicles including the Bongo was very short lived.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Scratch wrote:I used to use the RAC for the UK but have just changed to a Nationwide Building Society Flex Plus current account. For £10 per month this covers the Bongo and my wife's car, UK & European breakdown cover, and recovery. They were happy to cover the unconverted Bongo but I think they are ok with converted one's as well. Also no car age limit for European cover.
I just checked the terms and conditions of the RAC policies (maybe yours is different when done through Nationwide) but under section L for Euro cover it says not older than 11 years.

Page 21 "vehicle" or search the .pdf for "motorhome" and it will take you straight there. I am not too worried about the Euro cover for now. (It is an extra £108.00 on top of the £114.99)

http://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/breakdown/310 ... conditions
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:52 pm

My Recovery is an add-on to my Direct Line insurance. All tied in with a multicar deal but the Bongo had to be the principle vehicle because the "any other vehicle that I am in" excludes any vehicle over 15 years though it covers the Bongo as the named vehicle!
UK only.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Camping and Caravanning Club offer this but it does not seem to cover a roadside breakdown recovery option (only breakdown on UK campsite and recovery thereafter if a garage locally cannot sort the vehicle, well we know the Bongo needs experts not local garages typically)

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co ... otorhomes/
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:14 pm

I ended up sticking with RAC even though they tried to fleece me with an unjustified £ increase and I'm sure there must be others out there cheaper and better. But I am wary this might be an area where you get what you pay for - some worrying stories of recovery work being contracted out to any old tom dick and harry. My Bongo insurer had some ridiculously cheap deal on offer (one of these pay it then reclaim it services) but would it have been any good when it mattered? :roll:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:16 pm

I was offered a pay and claim deal by Autonational Rescue who use third party recovery low loaders and to be fair in the 2 times I used it over 10 years they both came within 1 hour and got me home without issue or question.

The "Pay and claim" offer or maybe that should be "Pay and be fleeced" was £41.00 but to me that sounds like they would quibble the recovery details and that and you probably have to do everything by the letter or they won't cough up for some minor reason. Seems quite dodgy to my mind as you say Mike. The last thing you want with the general stress of being marooned on some unfamiliar motorway is being stiffed on top the annoyance and cost of the initial breakdown.

Seems like RAC and AA are on par as the best deals, much of a muchness. Website says average price second year is £135.00. AA seems like the best deal at the moment for me.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:49 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:I was offered a pay and claim deal by Autonational Rescue who use third party recovery low loaders and to be fair in the 2 times I used it over 10 years they both came within 1 hour and got me home without issue or question.

The "Pay and claim" offer or maybe that should be "Pay and be fleeced" was £41.00 but to me that sounds like they would quibble the recovery details and that and you probably have to do everything by the letter or they won't cough up for some minor reason. Seems quite dodgy to my mind as you say Mike. The last thing you want with the general stress of being marooned on some unfamiliar motorway is being stiffed on top the annoyance and cost of the initial breakdown.

Seems like RAC and AA are on par as the best deals, much of a muchness. Website says average price second year is £135.00. AA seems like the best deal at the moment for me.
Yup, that all fits with my thinking. There comes a time in life where the worry ain't worth the savings! :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:57 pm

We were with GEM for a few years, pay the garage and reclaim.

Used them once and the service was brilliant. Bongy was naughty as we set off for holiday, breakdown guy there in about 45 mins, fixed (simple problem), sent off reclaim form and money back in the bank before we got back from hols.

We've just changed to RAC as they have, in league with the C&CC, the best caravan/holiday/back home cover.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:10 pm

Currently (since 2001) with RAC arrival (via camping and caravan club) one of the few available that cover towed vehicles, all due to trying to reduce prices/costs. good personal cover for 2, but not cheap.
Last year bongo wouldn't re-start at a fuel pump, RAC mechanic said "4wd auto box?"yes " cant tow that and they wont allow me to work on it there". So had to push it uphill out of the way.
Depends on how often you intend to breakdown
mine has been 2ce in a day once next year and then 9 years off.
do you need it?
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:15 pm

Think they all sub out to local recovery contractors for long haul brake down recovery
Something to do with drivers having to go on tacos for long hall etc

I use the aa have done for years
Not the cheapest or probaly the best
But they do get the job done
Have only used them twice but both times with a caravan on the back

Once they had to flat bed the caravan home as axle bugged , I left it with them on the m5 and drove Mrs and kids home in bongo

Once broke axle and ripped the roof off on me landy in devon with caravan on back
They waited for 2 days for holiday to finish to tow us back
This's was taking to long as they had to keep swapping drivers / vehicles with a landy on flat bed and towing me caravan
So after I moanend they got me a hire car at 8 at night , I drove family and kids home they got landy and caravan back to me later

About £100 a year
I also have a insurance policy thing with them for 5 x breakdowns per year £500 parts and labour at a garage of my choice they get it there per breakdown
About £100 per year they know the age of me bongo

I like to moan and complain
But even tho they left us at side of m5 for 2 hours waiting to get caravan recoverd
I didn't complain after I had cal mend down
They got the job done and keeped me informed all the way
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Also had no problem when I took a 22 year old defender across France for 3 weeks
Was not a problem on both the policy's I have with them
Think it cost me an extra £50 ish for European cover with a landy over 20 years old
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.

Return to “Insurance”