Rear seat removal and insurance

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Rear seat removal and insurance

Post by Eratosthenes » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Last year I paid just over £300 for fully comp. I have just asked my broker can I remove my rear seats and was told it is a modification and not allowed with my existing insurer. I asked for alternative quotes and the possibility of taking out another policy. However I was stunned at a quote of over £700.
I would still like to remove the seats but not at that price. Has any one done this and got a sensible price, or can suggest an alternative company? I explained I am not contemplating any modification and just wanted more space for camping trips. I would have thought it may have been considered less of a risk by reducing the number of people I could carry.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Rear seat removal and insurance

Post by Bongolia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 pm

I think your insurer is wrong on that. Its not really a modification as you have stated if anything it reduces their risk. Have you tried the insurers advertising on this site for a comparison?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Eratosthenes , you should have asked your Insurance Company (not the agent/broker) if any discount on premium for reducing the seating capacity from (example) 8 seats to 5 seats. As a matter of interest can you tell the name of Broker and Insurance Company?

Good Luck.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks for both replies - I have sent info to 2Gether and thought about Adrian Flux but didn't find them competitive for my MX5 a couple of years ago. I will look for others on here and give them a go tomorrow.
My broker is/was Mark Richard from the Bristol area and the £700+ was from Sabre Insurance. (We use a large crew bus for some jobs at work and recently a couple of seats were unbolted and the brokers wanted us to get the AA to check it had been done correctly - they refused the letter sent by our usual mot garage). Although I am keen to get the seats out I do have time to sort out something.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Your broker is in our village, we used them for some while until they tried a 100% price hike on the Bongo and cancelled our insurance on the MX5 until we had a cat 1 alarm fitted.

This is a 25 year old £1000 motor. [-X

I pointed out that we had this alarm already fitted so they changed their mind and said they only needed to see proof of this.

What they put in writing was we had no insurance until a new one was fitted so we insured with someone else, and cheaper. :roll:
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:41 pm

I have received quotes from the 2 companies advertising on this forum. 2gether came up good for me at below £400, with insurance cover of £3500 for the camping gear and awning etc. My area is about 3/4 of the way up the high risk scale and keeping it on the road doesn't help. At the end of the day I am happy and I almost forgot to mention the 15|% reduction for being a member of Bongo Fury - so that's my subs for a few years!

Return to “Insurance”