Another Scottish newbie

richrx
Bongonaut

Another Scottish newbie

Post by richrx » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:54 am

Morning folks,

I've just joined the forum, still to purchase a bongo, but I've got the go ahead for an unconverted van :)

Now if only rust free vans werebreadiky availible up here at a reasonable price :)

Rich
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Another Scottish newbie

Post by Bob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi Rich

Warm welcome to BF. :D

Yours is out there. Ours is unconverted, plan was to look at a few conversions and talk to owners before getting the work done.

Nearly 9 years later its still unconverted as its so useful as is.

Good luck with your search. 8)
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome :)

I think the plan will be get a good awning and use good portable camping equipment, maybe fit a fridge as we have a toddler and adjust the van from there.

I like bbq's so its a good excuse just to do that ever night :)

I did have plans to convert, but maybe the simple life of an unconverted van is best :)

Rich
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:02 pm

richrx wrote:Thanks for the welcome :)

I think the plan will be get a good awning and use good portable camping equipment, maybe fit a fridge as we have a toddler and adjust the van from there.

I like bbq's so its a good excuse just to do that ever night :)

I did have plans to convert, but maybe the simple life of an unconverted van is best :)

Rich
if you are planning more of a camping style usage and starting with the van unconverted, consider possibility of a quality (=expensive & bulky) coolbox. These things will keep ice for days. It can live outside when camping, means beers nearer your BBQ :lol: . Swap battery/electrics faff for ice and slushy water faff.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Yup unconverted is definetly the way I'm going now, although a hookup and leisure bettery set up would be useful for winter heat and camp sites...

But that can be my project :)

Why are all the solid bongos near lands bloody end??

Rich
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:43 pm

We have added a table which clips just above the rear heater so we can sit and eat in comfort if the weather should be naughty.

I then made up an arrangement so it will clip onto the cycle carrier and we can sit out under the tailgate on better days.

You'll have to come to Stourport to have a look. 8)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:10 pm

richrx wrote:Yup unconverted is definetly the way I'm going now, although a hookup and leisure bettery set up would be useful for winter heat and camp sites...

But that can be my project :)

Why are all the solid bongos near lands bloody end??

Rich
Its the distance. I bet you, if you got closer they would start to rust :lol: :lol:
Chris with BertieB
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Possibly its closer for them to swim ashore?
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:49 am

Welcome rich, I just sold mine with no rust, I'm based in east Lothian, the bongo was 20 years old this year, mind you it was wax oiled every 2 years and the areas that are notorious for rusting on bongos were treated to a film of old engine oil every now and again.
There are still dealers importing very good rust free bongos unfortunately as they get scarcer they are getting a bit more expensive. Watch the for sale section here you may pick up a good one from s fury member.
I bought mine from down south it's well worth the rail fare to get a good one.
Happy hunting and don't be afraid to ask for any advice from these guys on the forum,
Jim..
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:22 am

Hi jim,

The problem probably is my budget is quite limited, so rust free, or low rust examples are rare.

There are 2 i found which look like possibles but if they were further south they would be in France!!!

Although Glasgow to Exeter flights arnt too bad and much cheaper than trains.

Oh just to help highlight how hard it will be to find a bongo, I've been searching gumtree and ebay 4 times a day for new bongos coming on, seaching 'campervans and motorhomes'. Only yesterday did i think to search under cars too.... Oh dear looks like distance is the least of my issues :)

Richard
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:36 am

Don't forget Freda! Though most with a Ford Freda find a way of squeezing Bongo into the description.

I think we can get a bit too hung up about rust. Most is repairable so just needs factoring in to the budget. That said, I do acknowledge that if the plan is to spend lots on a conversion you need the van to last enough years to get your money's worth.
Chris with BertieB
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:35 am

richrx wrote:Hi jim,

The problem probably is my budget is quite limited, so rust free, or low rust examples are rare.

There are 2 i found which look like possibles but if they were further south they would be in France!!!

Although Glasgow to Exeter flights arnt too bad and much cheaper than trains.

Oh just to help highlight how hard it will be to find a bongo, I've been searching gumtree and ebay 4 times a day for new bongos coming on, seaching 'campervans and motorhomes'. Only yesterday did i think to search under cars too.... Oh dear looks like distance is the least of my issues :)

Richard
The other way to look on it Richard if you can get a fairly low mileage one, even with rust on the arches, even severe rust on the arches is not an mot failure, I know I guy who replaced the arches and did a bottom half respray for £1000, he did a superb job, so look out for a mechanically sound bongo, and budget to spend a grand in a year or so. I can pass on his contact details if you decide to go down that road.

Jim...
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi jim

To be honest its the inner and outer cill replacement and extensive welding on the structural mounts that worry me. I'm using this for my family so want it to be sound and not cost a fortune yearly.

From the adverts online im using general arch corrosion and mot history as a guide to decent vans.

Mechanicals are easy enough for me to do, I've just sold a Ducati and have an 85 rx7.... So the bongo should be reliable in comparison :)

But good bodywork places are always good to know..

Richard
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:57 pm

The guy is based in Edinburgh and does all the work himself, if you do decide to go down the rust repair route it's no problem just give me a shout.
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks jim,that would be a coast to coast run then :)

Just after some quick adice re mechanicals. So a bongo has gone up for sale locally, aparantly the arches are 'mint'as is the rest of the bodywork, i think the sellers possibly fibbing but the mot history is clean of rust and corrosion comments so thats a start, however the last mot had the following advisories, having never worked on a bongo it would be good to get advice from people who have. I'm happy to do pads, discs,removed engines and gearboxs in the past.

Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
Offside Front Power steering pipe(s) or hose(s) has slight seepage from a joint (2.3.3b)
Offside Front Steering rack gaiter deteriorated (2.2.D.2d)
Child seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt
Oil leak
small seepage of fuel from back of fuel injection pump

How much money will this likely cost at a garage, and how hard is the work on a driveway with no ramps or pits etc. Just jacks and tools :)

Thanks

Richard

Return to “Scotland”