Another Scottish newbie

richrx
Bongonaut

Re: Another Scottish newbie

Post by richrx » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:39 am

Quite a few it seems in my case:p

Calder bongo is now sold... Not to me i should add...

Rich
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:18 pm

Just home from a weekend camp, the one in Wales is on Facebook in "Mazda bongo mart" spoke to a guy at the campsite I was at, he said the van at caider campers seemed in pretty good condition, shame you did not follow it up quicker.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:25 pm

My stubborness was my downfall there.... Hope it was a good weekend, you never k ow i might have a bongo in time for the next bongo meet :)

Rich
jaxonedy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by jaxonedy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi all
I see the white Glasgow City Bongo is back on Gumtree.
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:12 pm

jaxonedy wrote:Hi all
Its not the bongo for me.

Rich

P.s this is embarrassing 5 pages and no bongo....
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:14 pm

jaxonedy wrote:Hi all
P.s first post pointing out one specific bongo for sale, its not yours is it ... :o

Rich
Gefail
Bongolier

Post by Gefail » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:24 pm

Keep at it....I searched nation wide for weeks trying to track a legit one down, then one turned up 80 miles away, private sale from first owner after import.
Cheers, David
02-07-1999 TinTop 2WD Oil Guzzler with Hyper Seat :shock:
jaxonedy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by jaxonedy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi Rich
No not mine. no Thanks!

I had a look on GUMTREE as I am looking for a local Bongo for a 1st starter project. I noticed this Bongo a while back and the comments about the condition and Dealer? comments on the Forum. So glad I did not go to see it
Cheers
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:59 am

jaxonedy wrote:Hi Rich
No not mine. no Thanks!

I had a look on GUMTREE as I am looking for a local Bongo for a 1st starter project. I noticed this Bongo a while back and the comments about the condition and Dealer? comments on the Forum. So glad I did not go to see it
Cheers
As a project it would be ok, at under 2k the body seemed good enough, just needed some mechanical love and interior parts replaced if the condition annoyed you.

The seller wasnt the greatest, and i probably had more of an issue with him and what i was told on the phone... Plus I'm very picky when spending my money ;)

Have you see many bongos?

Rich
jaxonedy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by jaxonedy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:20 am

Just started. I love a project- had all sorts from old austins to BMWs no expert but enjoy a challenge. now looking for a real utility vehicle - 7 seats or convert for weekends away. I see there is a Bongo in Paisley for sale, I have emailed but no answer, seem to remember seeing it before, A common theme?
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:41 am

Hi

There's one in Alloa on ebay and the Facebook bongo mart page, just added I think.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:55 am

jaxonedy wrote:Just started. I love a project- had all sorts from old austins to BMWs no expert but enjoy a challenge. now looking for a real utility vehicle - 7 seats or convert for weekends away. I see there is a Bongo in Paisley for sale, I have emailed but no answer, seem to remember seeing it before, A common theme?

I'm a glutten for punishment too,have a liking for rx7's. Current car is 31 years old, so the bingo will be a spring chicken :)

Although the touted excuse of "its 20 years old mate" doesnt sit right on me since the rx7's not as rusty as these bongos. Might take it to my next viewing to prove my point :)

Anyhow,Stephen the paisly seller is a nightmare. Ive chased him for over a month to view it. But looking at it's mot history it looks like it'll be rough..... But I'm hoping not as rough as the edinburgh bongo at 2000...

Rich

P.s i fancy an imported Austin mimi, some crackers out there :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:23 pm

richrx wrote:

Although the touted excuse of "its 20 years old mate" doesnt sit right on me since the rx7's not as rusty as these bongos. Might take it to my next viewing to prove my point :)
I don't think folk on here will be making excuses, just giving a view to those asking for advice when buying a Bongo. Their view is based on personal experience after many years of either owning one and/or having seen quite a few.

As for why, it could be because the Bongo was intended for the Japan only market where stringent (and changing) testing requirements, their alleged practice of not salting roads (at least in South Japan) etc. etc. Taken together, perhaps achieving immortality was not given top priority. I did read somewhere the design life of a Bongo was 10 years though can't say if that's true or not. Its also been said that twin starter battery Bongos, which generally come from North Japan where its cold and they do salt roads, are often rustier.

Anyway, it is what it is and is something buyers would be wise to check for in an old Bongo. Some fare a lot better than others, but an obvious reason for selling is because welding bills are expected.
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:11 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
richrx wrote:

I don't think folk on here will be making excuses, just giving a view to those asking for advice when buying a Bongo. Their view is based on personal experience after many years of either owning one and/or having seen quite a few.

As for why, it could be because the Bongo was intended for the Japan only market where stringent (and changing) testing requirements, their alleged practice of not salting roads (at least in South Japan) etc. etc. Taken together, perhaps achieving immortality was not given top priority. I did read somewhere the design life of a Bongo was 10 years though can't say if that's true or not. Its also been said that twin starter battery Bongos, which generally come from North Japan where its cold and they do salt roads, are often rustier.

Anyway, it is what it is and is something buyers would be wise to check for in an old Bongo. Some fare a lot better than others, but an obvious reason for selling is because welding bills are expected.

My comment wasnt aimed at anyone on this forum, or anyone who has imparted advice. It was more aimed at a certain seller who lied about the condition of his bongo.

I understand age related issues as well as their import status making them more prone to rust. But more specifically mazda always appear to make vehicles that rust easily regardless of target market.

No offense ment, i think i posted else where i know i will get a bongo with surface rust on the arches and previous welding, I'm picky but not unrealistic, although perhaps that comes across wrongly on the forums.

Rich
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:57 pm

No problem Rich, I was only concerned that anyone buying an old Bongo was eyes wide open about it. They're great cars, but there's plenty of traps for the unwary especially if they go in with unrealistic expectations. It sounds like you've got your head well screwed on about it, which is not always the case, especially where someone is in a hurry to realise a dream, and on a tight budget. The sharks lie waiting for them :roll:

Good luck with the hunt. Perseverance, perspicacity and patience should pay off in the end.

Mike

Return to “Scotland”