Looking for a kind soul to give us a guided tour?

Moderator: Muzorewa

Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Re: Looking for a kind soul to give us a guided tour?

Post by Bongoplod » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi Mike and welcome to the madhouse 8)

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
flarts
Bongonaut

Post by flarts » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:18 am

sotal wrote:me and the dog in the roof.
That sounds like great fun! Although I don't fancy lifting up our 26kg hound up there but I could be tempted to try!

Thanks for all that info... I'm feeling more and more confident already that it's going to suit us.
There will be the three of us... my wife, my dog and me of course.
The plan in my head is for us to sleep on the deck with the dog downstairs in his basket allowing a permanent set-up once we've set-up camp rather than setting up a bed each night which will also make things a lot easier to get Moose the dog in and out at bedtime and such.

Super... all food for thought and thanks again for your generous offers. I'll certainly take you up on them when we can :)
One 2001 White/Silver 4WD 2.5L AFT Diesel | One Dog | Many Ukuleles
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:44 am

flarts wrote:
sotal wrote:me and the dog in the roof.
That sounds like great fun! Although I don't fancy lifting up our 26kg hound up there but I could be tempted to try!

Thanks for all that info... I'm feeling more and more confident already that it's going to suit us.
There will be the three of us... my wife, my dog and me of course.
The plan in my head is for us to sleep on the deck with the dog downstairs in his basket allowing a permanent set-up once we've set-up camp rather than setting up a bed each night which will also make things a lot easier to get Moose the dog in and out at bedtime and such.

Super... all food for thought and thanks again for your generous offers. I'll certainly take you up on them when we can :)
You should go and see Hembramacho's Bongo - he's done a very interesting mod that I would love to have done: LPG injection into a diesel engine to improve torque/power/mpg depending on how you use it. Also, provided you are up for paying top end money, Muz's Imperial conversion is well worth a look as its a very clever and well made layout (and they've done over 250k trouble free miles in it all over UK and Europe so not all diesels are dodgy - we only hear about the problems, not about the many diesels that give none).
flarts
Bongonaut

Post by flarts » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:11 am

mikeonb4c wrote:You should go and see Hembramacho's Bongo - he's done a very interesting mod that I would love to have done: LPG injection into a diesel engine to improve torque/power/mpg depending on how you use it. Also, provided you are up for paying top end money, Muz's Imperial conversion is well worth a look as its a very clever and well made layout (and they've done over 250k trouble free miles in it all over UK and Europe so not all diesels are dodgy - we only hear about the problems, not about the many diesels that give none).
I am indeed off to see Hembramacho's Bongo as he's just down the road... so many thanks for the suggestion Sir.

Likewise I hope we'll get to see Muz's Imperial as we're giving Imperial strong consideration as I agree, the layouts look very very clever. We're planning to take it all over Europe so we're of a mind to get something "decent" as it were that we can rely on. A quick jaunt to Manchester would be a great first Imperial step compared to a trek down to Poole... that way the trek would only be needed if the money was already in my pocket!

Plus of course chatting about the experiences of actual owners is priceless and I can already tell you're a lovely bunch :)
I'm so pleased I thought to join the forum and just ask!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:18 am

flarts wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:You should go and see Hembramacho's Bongo - he's done a very interesting mod that I would love to have done: LPG injection into a diesel engine to improve torque/power/mpg depending on how you use it. Also, provided you are up for paying top end money, Muz's Imperial conversion is well worth a look as its a very clever and well made layout (and they've done over 250k trouble free miles in it all over UK and Europe so not all diesels are dodgy - we only hear about the problems, not about the many diesels that give none).
I am indeed off to see Hembramacho's Bongo as he's just down the road... so many thanks for the suggestion Sir.

Likewise I hope we'll get to see Muz's Imperial as we're giving Imperial strong consideration as I agree, the layouts look very very clever. We're planning to take it all over Europe so we're of a mind to get something "decent" as it were that we can rely on. A quick jaunt to Manchester would be a great first Imperial step compared to a trek down to Poole... that way the trek would only be needed if the money was already in my pocket!

Plus of course chatting about the experiences of actual owners is priceless and I can already tell you're a lovely bunch :)
I'm so pleased I thought to join the forum and just ask!
I think its fair to say I wouldn't have contemplated getting a Bongo before I came across this lot and they set me straight on the myths and the facts about a Bongo. And their support is invaluable for when trouble strikes (as it surely must at some point). For Europe trips you want the best Bongo you can get as they won't be as easy to get mended on the continent as a VW. But Bongos are pretty reliable in general.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:55 pm

I did the opposite Mike,bought a Bongo then found out about the club and forum.
flarts
Bongonaut

Post by flarts » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:52 pm

Well I just thought I'd post a quick update after the great response you gave me.
We were very kindly give and full demo by Hembramacho... it was great to see how it all fits together and indeed how we (and the dog) would fit. Thank you Sir!

We've not taken the plunge quite yet but we know have a much clearer idea of what we want in terms of layout etc so I'm sure we'll be paid up members very soon :)
bongodaisy15
Junior Bongonaut

Post by bongodaisy15 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:55 pm

Hope you do "Take the Plunge" :D
Best thing I've done in a long time =D>
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:57 pm

Brilliant. =D>
edash
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by edash » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi Mike

There is a Bongo meet on Saturday 5th September at Dinas Dinlle campsite,where there will be a number of different vans to view.

Edash
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Hi - just to throw inanother option,we went for the best condition of vehicle available for the money available -so unconverted, with the intention of converting later on, when we worked out what we wanted,and what would suit us -as it turned out we kept the vehicle as was, and bought an awning,keeping the van 8 seater means it has doubled up as whole familly day out carrier,and furniture removers.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Our intention too, Karen.

8 Years on still unconverted, used with a variety of awnings/tents and now pulls a caravan.

Brilliant 'All Rounder'. :D
flarts
Bongonaut

Post by flarts » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:03 am

Sorry I missed these replies... life getting in the way as ever... who'd want to be a grown up ;)

Edash - that's a missed opportunity but I'll certainly keep an eye out for the next one.

Funnily enough, our minds are already turning to an unconverted Bongo so we can plan a nice shiny new interior that's going to work for us and I dare say it's not beyond the realms of possibility we may try the full bed and throw all the other plans out of the window ;)

Return to “North West”