Looking for a Bongo

Moderator: Ian

Birdy1000
Apprentice Bongonaut

Looking for a Bongo

Post by Birdy1000 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:09 am

Good morning, I've just found this forum in my search for a Bongo, I live in Sheffield and have been trying to find local vehicles for sale in my price range (bottom end of the price range unfortunately) mainly on eBay but with no joy, hopefully some of the members here will be able to point me in the right direction of where and what to look for, Thank you, Mark
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Looking for a Bongo

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:33 am

Have you looked at the private & trade sales here ...

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/market ... 2014113156
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:48 am

If you are in the bargain basement like I was just read up on the things to check etc.
Fit a low coolant alarm as soon as you get it.
If you are handy it is possible to pick one up cheap, I paid £1200, three years ago with a few issues that cost less than £300 to sort out.
This place is very good but give him a call in case he has a part ex cheap one hanging about
http://www.wheelquick.co.uk/
Birdy1000
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Birdy1000 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Thank you, this is the kind of knowledge and advice I'm looking for, my budget is around £2500, I've got a 2004 VW Bora Tdi I need to sell or part ex, the Bongo would be our daily driver aswell as weekend camping toy so do need reliability
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Birdy1000 wrote:Thank you, this is the kind of knowledge and advice I'm looking for, my budget is around £2500, I've got a 2004 VW Bora Tdi I need to sell or part ex, the Bongo would be our daily driver aswell as weekend camping toy so do need reliability
To be honest we also have a Bora 1.9 TDi and a 406 Diesel estate.
We use these as our daily drivers as the Bora is doing over 50mpg and the 406 40 mpg.
The Bongo we use for family days out and best as its more comfy but the MPG is poor at 22 mpg around town and 31mpg on a run, its insured as a classic camper for £200 year
I would give it a lot of thought before you part with the Bora they are a fantastic car ours have done 150,000 miles and still going strong.
If you do the sums it may well work out cheaper to keep the Bora as a daily driver that's what we did as running the Bongo daily would cost too much.
Birdy1000
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Birdy1000 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 pm

I know what you mean about the mpg on the bora, we've had it for about a year now and it still surprises me as to how economical it is,the main problem is that before the Bora we used to own a Dodge Dekota American pick up truck as our daily driver which got mid to low teens on mpg regardless of how you drove it and have a Talbot campervan aswell, when you add up the extra cost of insuring 2 vehicles, tax, Insurance and storage of camper it gets expensive, that's why we've been looking for a smaller camper/day van as a daily driver, we looked at afew VW T4 Tdi vans as we don't need the full camper set up just something we can covert to sleep in when we go to motorbike race meets but the price of VW's are sky high, where as price wise a Bongo seems to be a better choice and in the long run I don't mind trading slightly worse mpg for getting the right van
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:26 pm

I was saving for a T 4 when the Bongo came along s I bought it.
I also had a Talbot but was glad to see the back of it

Return to “Yorkshire & North East”